follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
FR-Shadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
any snow out your way to check those "turanzas" out?
Funny you ask... its snowing tonight. But it's the first of the year so it's no where near ready to stick to the roads. It was just 60degrees this weekend.
FR-Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #16
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shadow View Post
Funny you ask... its snowing tonight. But it's the first of the year so it's no where near ready to stick to the roads. It was just 60degrees this weekend.
Yeah, it went from 70 degrees yesterday to below freezing all day today. We got some snow in the morning but obviously it didn't stick since the ground was still wet and warm.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #17
Bluecille

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitterSkotter View Post
Exactly, the tires have do a lot to do with it. I was just trying to make the point that I had also never driven this type of car in the snow before.
The skinny tires on the twins will help. I would also recommend deflatting your rear tires and adding some weight to your rear end if you plan on driving in the snow in the future. The FR-S is my daily driver and I will be gambling by not investing in a solid pair of winter tires but I intend on doing exactly what you did. Wait for snow fall, go and have a blast, then winterize if necessary. So hate to say it but come on global warming!
Bluecille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #18
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shadow View Post
you should be ok with the turanzas!..scion started to send those over commencing with the august build cars i believe!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
This is good news for me. Now all I need is some one's report on the stock all-seasons.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
This is good news for me. Now all I need is some one's report on the stock all-seasons.
Well, In Il we also got our first snow last night. It was pretty hard for about 30 minutes, but stopped pretty quickly as well.

The temperature dropped a little more, and although the snow didn't stick, it caused what fell to form black ice on the tollway I take home (294). I was on the road about 45 minutes after the snow stopped, and there were police and emergency vehicles everywhere.

I'm guessing because it was such a light, centralized snow they didn't send the salt trucks out prior to the snow. I was doing about 60 when I hit my first patch of black ice. It was a small one, but it claimed 5 cars, 2 south bound, and 3 north bound.

On the next onramp, the salt trucks started pulling on, and were in front of me. I had to swerve around them and speed up so they would stop peppering my car with rock salt. I had figured the worst of it was done.... but it wasn't.

About a half mile later I hit a patch that was about a 1/4 mile long. This strip claimed easily another 10-15 cars, including 2 state patrol cars. I had slowed to about 50 because I saw the flashing lights ahead before I hit the patch.

The car skittered and danced a little, but nothing that wasn't manageable. I also held the wheel to make sure it didn't turn at all and upset the balance. The car rode through it like a champ. There was a little bit of sideways movement, but nothing too harsh.

Looks like it's almost time for winter rubber.

I also have the Michelin all seasons.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
michelins are NOT all-season tires!
they are summer performance tires.
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmaryt For This Useful Post:
ashtray (11-14-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ill just leave these videos here. First one is the best!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI&feature=related"]Winter Tyres v Summer Tyres: the Truth! - Auto Express - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y"]Tire Rack Tire Test - All-Season vs. Winter Tires - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s&feature=relmfu"]Tire Rack Tire Test - Winter/Snow vs. All-Season vs. Summer Tires on Ice - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by RaceR; 11-13-2012 at 08:27 PM.
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaceR For This Useful Post:
einzlr (11-16-2012), neutral (11-16-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
Ill just leave these videos here. First one is the best!

These are good comparison videos. My only thing is, the roads here very rarely look like that. It can happen, but it's extremely rare. I know, better safe than sorry, but I've never needed winter tires on any of my cars. Neither has anyone else in my family, including my brother with a rear-wheel drive tacoma. I'll probably still end up with some on the FR-S though, just because I really don't feel like putting it in a ditch.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
CrazyWookiee

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had to take my car out in heavier snow in Edmonton, AB Canada to make a trip to get my exhaust on. needless to say I experienced the exact same lack of traction as you o the Michelin Primacy summers. Scariest thing I've done in a vehicle in a long time.

"I'm the real Peter Lau" - Peter Lau
CrazyWookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #25
RaceR

Quote:
These are good comparison videos. My only thing is, the roads here very rarely look like that. It can happen, but it's extremely rare. I know, better safe than sorry, but I've never needed winter tires on any of my cars. Neither has anyone else in my family, including my brother with a rear-wheel drive tacoma. I'll probably still end up with some on the FR-S though, just because I really don't feel like putting it in a ditch.
As the first video goes through. As long temperature is below 7 degres (Celcius), 44,5 (Fahrenheit) winter tires are better. The closer you get to freezing point the larger the difference becomes. But if you're winter conditions mostly consist of 44,5 Fahrenheit or warmer, without any driving on snow, than summer tires would do fine.

In proper hard packed snow grip is quite good (with winter tires). Its temperatures around the freezing point where things could get scary and you could get into some very slippery conditions.

Where I come from its illegal with summer tires in winter conditions and you could loose you're licence.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
As the first video goes through. As long temperature is below 7 degres (Celcius), 44,5 (Fahrenheit) winter tires are better. The closer you get to freezing point the larger the difference becomes. But if you're winter conditions mostly consist of 44,5 Fahrenheit or warmer, without any driving on snow, than summer tires would do fine.

In proper hard packed snow grip is quite good (with winter tires). Its temperatures around the freezing point where things could get scary and you could get into some very slippery conditions.

Where I come from its illegal with summer tires in winter conditions and you could loose you're licence.
What temperature are the all-seasons good till? I don't have summer tires on my car.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #27
RaceR

Quote:
What temperature are the all-seasons good till? I don't have summer tires on my car.
-Winter tires are made for winter and colder conditions ONLY. Not summer
-Summer tires are made summer conditions. Should not be driven on snow and is not recommended to drive where temperatures are around freezing point.
-All seasons are just a compromise between the two. Some manufacturers/tire models lean a little more towards winter or summer than others, but generally its just a compromise in the middle.
I've never owned or driven on all seasons (its not normal here). Its common sense to use winter tires here (even tough winters are mild and not very snowy at all many places). As far as I have read and heard, most all season tires start getting worse compared to winter tires from about 7/44,5 degress (Celsius/Fahrenheit, just like summer tires. But they will not worsen that quickly. There is no "good till" temperature as far as I have heard of. That would kinda defeat the "all-season" concept. They just perform OK in both winter and summer conditions. Its a compromise.
The Following User Says Thank You to RaceR For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (11-13-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Here in New Zealand, we only get summer, or if you are lucky/rich, all season tyres, even though we have similar weather to Europe/US on the bottom half of the south island.

Most people don't even know snow tyres exist

Here is the official government pamphlet:
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/wi...s-pamphlet.pdf

There was an accident in 2011 due to snow tyres and the coroner wanted them banned in NZ:
http://www.scene.co.nz/a/292950a1.page
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5752...res-ridiculous

If you want to tour New Zealand, don't do it in winter.
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote