follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
METAL_SU-37

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
TX 86 competitive series / 86 Cup

I wanted to ask the question to people in the Texas region.
I am a CO native and because of my fiance's job, there is a high probability that I will be moving to/around the Austin, TX area.

Currently I compete with the RM 86Cup which runs inside of the NASA Rocky Mountain sanctioning body, last year I competed in TT5 and the year before that in HPDE 3. my car classing and competition results were based on the 86cup rules. however I ran inside of TT5 ( uncompetitively because of classing )

Is there a competitive series for the 86 chassis currently available, how do most of you guys compete? What rules, organizations, or classing do you guys follow or race under?

I checked Nasa Texas TT results for some events last year and there appears to be a wide range of our cars in TT3,TT4, and TT5.

What are your guy's thoughts?
How many people here track their cars?
NASA RM TT5
SCCA TT
METAL_SU-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to METAL_SU-37 For This Useful Post:
Pat (01-16-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
NASA is your best bet aside from WRL. The Texas Region SCCA has a time trials program and there is the SoDiv SCCA road racing program with a few races each year. I'm the CDI for the Texas Region SCCA Time Trials program, but I only do TT and DE's and no wheel to wheel stuff.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
nissanfanatic (01-03-2023), Pat (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #3
METAL_SU-37

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks!

Ill definitely check out some of the events if I can!
NASA RM TT5
SCCA TT
METAL_SU-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #4
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Most do NASA ST/TT5.

Feel free to join the Austin 86 Club and Texas BRZ, FR-S, GT-86 groups on facebook too.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #5
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Digging this one back up to provide more input..

I live in Houston area and race wheel to wheel in SCCA's STU class (Super Touring Under).

There are a couple more N/A 86s that run in Touring 3 and 4, and they are competitive in T4. too underpowered for T3 since many of the cars in that class are larger V6s like 350/370Z, Porsche Boxster, etc. T4 is a nice class for 4cyl stuff- MX5, 86, even a V6 Mustang runs in it locally and there are usually plenty of entries in the class.

STL (Super Touring Lite) is another good class for these cars, but you gotta be a good wheel to be competitive there since there are nationally competitive guys in the area and it's infested with winged Miatas. It allows more mods than Touring class, but is still somewhat restrictive. Be sure to look at the rules before deciding to commit to a class.

STU allows more mods and forced induction so you can find more ways to make speed, but it gets expensive to run at the front. i.e. boost and sequential trans is required if you want to be pointy end of a national field. that makes the 86 a fragile and expensive toy.. I'm running the JRSC and have my engine tuned on the conservative side to aim for longevity vs. ultimate speed. I'm a couple seconds off the really fast national guys, but rarely see those entries around here. I would loove to have more people to play with though.

Regarding schedule, SCCA road race program has roughly the following yearly schedule:
Jan - MSR Cresson- Cresson, TX
Feb - COTA- Austin. TX
April - Hallett- near Tulsa, OK
May - Eagles Canyon- Decatur, TX
May (Memorial Day) - MSR Houston - Angleton, TX
Sept (Labor Day) - MSR Houston - Angleton, TX
Nov - MSR Cresson - Cresson, TX

https://sowdivscca.com/road-racing/

SCCA does have a Track Sprint / Time Trials program as well, but I am not familiar with it so I can't comment other than to say it's there and they're trying to grow it. more people are better, to take a look and see!
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt93SE For This Useful Post:
nissanfanatic (01-03-2023)