follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2021, 04:20 AM   #1
Hamza

Drives: Widebody 86/F56 Mini Cooper S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need Help with Exhausts

Hey there any replies to this would be very appreciated

First time doing exhaust here and I'm in a tight situation. At the moment I have a single exit muffler delete and volume-wise I like it. But I just got an oft and am looking towards going catless. My friend is selling his Tomei headers, overpipe, and front pipe for about an equivalent of $550 USD (Used for about 5 months). I know this is a really good deal but here's my issue:

Obviously I know it will be MUCH louder, but I can't grasp an idea of how loud. I don't want to be anything near a moving popcorn machine. I'm afraid of spending this then having to spend another $600+ to a shop to mess with adding resonators and maybe a muffler.

Now my other question was would it be a good idea to add the stock muffler back? This would also require some welding because the guy I bought the car off of had the single exit done locally and welded. If not, would mufflers from any other car sort of do the trick?

And lastly, would adding a muffler remove the ability to have pops :3

I appreciate whoever reads through it and thank you!
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If you like the sound I would not mess with it. Unless you are ok with spending more money to try to get a sound you like. You are correct if you go castles you will need around the stock muffler to get back to the same db.

Don’t do pops and bangs!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Hamza (02-28-2021), ZDan (03-07-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
If your muffler is small/empty enough it will still pop. If you want the headers and stuff then you need to plan on more exhaust mods to get it the way you want. You can either replace the catback entirely or modify it with a muffler you purchase and weld. If you go the modification route, you can buy mufflers in just about any configuration and size from many manufacturers. Just Google around

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Hamza (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I will have a similar setup when done. Tomei header, overpipe, and Corsa exhaust. I am keeping the catted front pipe so I can keep the tone down a bit. So far only the header and overpipe are installed and it still seems very subdued still - just a slight rumble under load. I should get the Corsa catback this week.

Why not just keep the stock front pipe and cat within it?
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrahmaBull1990 For This Useful Post:
Hamza (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
I will have a similar setup when done. Tomei header, overpipe, and Corsa exhaust. I am keeping the catted front pipe so I can keep the tone down a bit. So far only the header and overpipe are installed and it still seems very subdued still - just a slight rumble under load. I should get the Corsa catback this week.

Why not just keep the stock front pipe and cat within it?
Cause the dude I'm buying from isn't selling only the header and I'll feel like I'm wasting it if I don't use it. I'm gonna try header only at first and see the volume. The thing with the stock catback is I'm wanting to keep it single exit and the stock was dual
Old 02-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #6
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
If your muffler is small/empty enough it will still pop. If you want the headers and stuff then you need to plan on more exhaust mods to get it the way you want. You can either replace the catback entirely or modify it with a muffler you purchase and weld. If you go the modification route, you can buy mufflers in just about any configuration and size from many manufacturers. Just Google around

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Yeah I think best due to my location and shipping costs is to pay a shop to figure it out with any sort of muffler etc.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
If you like the sound I would not mess with it. Unless you are ok with spending more money to try to get a sound you like. You are correct if you go castles you will need around the stock muffler to get back to the same db.

Don’t do pops and bangs!
I wanna mess with headers just so I can go stage 2. And why not pops haha, I want it as a party trick thing, toned down from those gunshot types tho
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamza For This Useful Post:
theneptune86 (03-08-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 03:08 PM   #8
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
Cause the dude I'm buying from isn't selling only the header and I'll feel like I'm wasting it if I don't use it. I'm gonna try header only at first and see the volume. The thing with the stock catback is I'm wanting to keep it single exit and the stock was dual
Just use the stock front pipe, but not the midpipe and muffler. Keep your catback.

And just buy the whole thing and sell the parts you do not want
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrahmaBull1990 For This Useful Post:
Hamza (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
Just use the stock front pipe, but not the midpipe and muffler. Keep your catback.

And just buy the whole thing and sell the parts you do not want
I don't have the muffler on, and will test out stock front pipe and catless to see how each goes. The overpipe and front pipe won't sell where I live, the market is much smaller
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamza For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (02-28-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 12:36 AM   #10
Legend1515
Legend

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a catless EL header, stock overpipe, stock front pipe, aftermarket midpipe with a resonator and single exit axleback. Its loud but its the loud you want. Its not too much where you are scared around cops. Just a little quieter would give it a 100% perfect volume. Maybe a little muffle or resonator right before the single exit. Its like 96% perfect now. I was skeptical at first because I was scared of being too loud but I'm thoroughly enjoying this setup. I would keep the stock front pipe for sound and smell reasons.
Legend1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Legend1515 For This Useful Post:
Hamza (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 01:49 AM   #11
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend1515 View Post
I have a catless EL header, stock overpipe, stock front pipe, aftermarket midpipe with a resonator and single exit axleback. Its loud but its the loud you want. Its not too much where you are scared around cops. Just a little quieter would give it a 100% perfect volume. Maybe a little muffle or resonator right before the single exit. Its like 96% perfect now. I was skeptical at first because I was scared of being too loud but I'm thoroughly enjoying this setup. I would keep the stock front pipe for sound and smell reasons.
Thanks for the reply! I went out and bought it and realized the front pipe is catted (so it's better for me). I'll probably install in a couple weeks and experiment around. I'm not too sure but on my single exit there's a fat metal thing around it. Is that a muffler??

^Not the same exit as mine but what's the big metal thing around the exit
Old 03-07-2021, 03:46 AM   #12
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I went out and bought it and realized the front pipe is catted (so it's better for me). I'll probably install in a couple weeks and experiment around. I'm not too sure but on my single exit there's a fat metal thing around it. Is that a muffler??

^Not the same exit as mine but what's the big metal thing around the exit
Exhaust tip finisher. Just bolt on cosmetic trim
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #13
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Exhaust tip finisher. Just bolt on cosmetic trim
You sure it's not something like a resonator?? Because it has hole-like patterns inside and idk it sounds different from just a straight muffler delete
Old 03-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #14
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Garage
Quote:
You sure it's not something like a resonator?? Because it has hole-like patterns inside and idk it sounds different from just a straight muffler delete
You mean the can? Yes that's a type of muffler, but it doesn't reduce sound as much as other types
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
Hamza (03-08-2021)