follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #1
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Racing School in WA?

Hi All,

I am thinking of going to a day-long racing school for fun and skill. My search has turned up two schools:

ProFormance Racing School: https://proformanceracingschool.com

DirtFish Rally School:https://www.dirtfish.com

Anyone have experience with either of these schools? Is DirtFish primarily rally? (I am looking more for track)
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
Hi All,

I am thinking of going to a day-long racing school for fun and skill. My search has turned up two schools:

ProFormance Racing School: https://proformanceracingschool.com

DirtFish Rally School:https://www.dirtfish.com

Anyone have experience with either of these schools? Is DirtFish primarily rally? (I am looking more for track)
If you're looking for a school that is focused on a racetrack then ProFormance is a way to go. You'll learn a lot, their instructors are great. I took their 1 day course and took part their lapping programs.

DirtFish is focused on rally, also very knowledgeable guys. I took their 1 day AWD course, but might take an RWD one in future. It should be more fun, since the course is pretty tight and you'll have more fun in the BRZ then in STI in my opinion.
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur-A For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (03-08-2021), NWFRS (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
If you're looking for a school that is focused on a racetrack then ProFormance is a way to go. You'll learn a lot, their instructors are great. I took their 1 day course and took part their lapping programs.

DirtFish is focused on rally, also very knowledgeable guys. I took their 1 day AWD course, but might take an RWD one in future. It should be more fun, since the course is pretty tight and you'll have more fun in the BRZ then in STI in my opinion.
Awesome! Thank you for the information. I’m leaning toward ProFormance first. I really just want to get better at high speed cornering and heel-toe
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
Old 03-08-2021, 11:48 PM   #4
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The owner of ProFormance, Don Kitch, is a character in the book/movie "The Art of Racing in the Rain". Kitch also has a stable of FRS as their school car so you're definitely going to the right place for high performance driving as their educators are very talented and most are current/former racers. I did my first HPDEs with them back in 2003 and a year later I was racing with ICSCC.

My friends have done Dirt Fish and just raved about it so I second the motion that it's an awesome experience as I've only heard good things.

Other racing school opportunities exist with the various clubs like IRDC, CSCC, BMWCCA etc. The Ridge has a few different Orgs that do days over there such as Turn2, Hooked on Driving and SCCA Track Night in America.

When, not if, but when you're ready to build your race car, let's talk.
BrahmaBull1990 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 12:20 AM   #5
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Kitch also has a stable of FRS as their school car
I rented one of those for a 30 min session, and finally made a decision to get one myself Now I need to finish the last 100 miles of a break in period, change the oil and finally bring it to Pacific Raceways
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
I have driven with both ProFormance and HOD. I liked HOD's format better, but I enjoyed the instructor I got with ProFormance more. Turn2 has a very limited amount of instructors and I believe you have to inquire with Tom about getting one.
BrahmaBull1990 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #7
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Took this at the 4th July weekend classic races a couple years ago at PI.
Still think of it as SIR.

Dirtfish course is all gravel all the time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (03-12-2021), NoHaveMSG (03-09-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #8
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Williamson View Post
I like this idea!
Let me ask you a question: Can a bot ever experience the feeling of liking something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
malik.valikhodjaev

Drives: Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@BrahmaBull1990, how was your experience? And do you tried DirtFish school yet?

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/atta...1&d=1640178938

Toyota enthusiast who do own a 2013 Toyota FR-S. I love spending time with my wife and son. I also write quality college papers for sale on demand; https://edubirdie.com/college-papers-for-sale after struggling as a mechanical engineer because of covid restrictions. I would love to discuss Toyota vehicles with anyone in the community.
Attached Images

Last edited by malik.valikhodjaev; 12-22-2021 at 08:33 AM.
malik.valikhodjaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #10
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by malik.valikhodjaev View Post
@BrahmaBull1990, how was your experience? And do you tried DirtFish school yet?
Haven’t tried ProFormance yet. As a gift, I received a voucher for a training day. I’m going this spring/summer when the weather is better. Dirt Fish looks good though; they are known countrywide.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:29 AM   #11
BRZrkr

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I know this OP is a bit old, but thought I would contribute for future reference.

In the past month, I have done both Dirtfish and ProFormance. Here's a quick review.

Dirtfish: did the 1-day RWD course in a school BRZ. Cost was $1600, or $1350 after Avants discount. The cars have a full roll cage, bucket seats and harnesses, rally suspension, Hoosier gravel tires, skid plates, muffler delete. Course was extremely well run, instructors were great. Lots of seat time. Probably the most fun I've ever had in a car. However, few of the skills translate to anything on tarmac, so limited utility. Still, I intend to go back for the advanced course. 10/10.

ProFormance: did the 1-day High Performance school (prereq to get signed off for solo lapping). Cost was $585 with Avants discount, plus $500 to use a school FRS. The cars are mostly stock save for upgraded brake pads (supposedly Hawk HP+) and brake fluid, and a half roll cage, buckets and harnesses. They run 215 wide Toyo all season tires. Course was well run, my instructor was great. The classroom work and the morning exercises were extremely basic and not terribly useful for anyone with prior performance driving experience (but good for complete beginners). The afternoon track sessions were very well coached. By the end of my first session I had the line dialed in, and by the end of the day I was supremely confident in my ability to push the FRS quite hard. I was beyond impressed at how capable these cars are. 8/10 overall, will go back for open lapping.

I've done Turn2 at the Ridge and while well-run, I have found the coaching to be somewhat spotty. I'll be trying HOD this season, supposedly they have better coaching.
Attached Images

BRZrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZrkr For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-05-2022), Ducati.Femme (06-21-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 02:12 PM   #12
BradfordPrejean

Drives: now it`s a WV Golf VII
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZrkr View Post
I know this OP is a bit old, but thought I would contribute for future reference.

In the past month, I have done both Dirtfish and ProFormance. Here's a quick review.

Dirtfish: did the 1-day RWD course in a school BRZ. Cost was $1600, or $1350 after Avants discount. The cars have a full roll cage, bucket seats and harnesses, rally suspension, Hoosier gravel tires, skid plates, muffler delete. Course was extremely well run, instructors were great. Lots of seat time. Probably the most fun I've ever had in a car. However, few of the skills translate to anything on tarmac, so limited utility. Still, I intend to go back for the advanced course. 10/10.

ProFormance: did the 1-day High Performance school (prereq to get signed off for solo lapping). Cost was $585 with Avants discount, plus $500 to use a school FRS. The cars are mostly stock save for upgraded brake pads (supposedly Hawk HP+) and brake fluid, and a half roll cage, buckets and harnesses. They run 215 wide Toyo all season tires. The course was well run, my instructor was great. The classroom work and the morning exercises were extremely basic and not terribly useful for anyone with prior performance driving experience (but good for complete beginners). The afternoon track sessions were very well coached. This wrote me the plot of the book devils arithmetic, to be concise https://freebooksummary.com/category/the-devils-arithmetic you can read the summary on the resource. By the end of my first session I had the line dialed in, and by the end of the day I was supremely confident in my ability to push the FRS quite hard. I was beyond impressed at how capable these cars are. 8/10 overall, will go back for open lapping.

I've done Turn2 at the Ridge and while well-run, I have found the coaching to be somewhat spotty. I'll be trying HOD this season, supposedly they have better coaching.
Perhaps HOD has a better coach, but from the information that you wrote I can assume that the price you paid is quite loyal.

Last edited by BradfordPrejean; 06-21-2022 at 04:08 PM.
BradfordPrejean is offline   Reply With Quote