follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #99
weederr33
Airborne at your service
 
weederr33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,616
Thanks: 2,575
Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,229 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiihcircle View Post
My oil gets really hot when on the highway cruising above 3500 rpmAttachment 181375

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Woah, wtf. Why is it so hot? Even before I had the Forester exchanger on, it didn't get anywhere near that in the dead of summer.
__________________
Series.Yellowbird - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122135

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #100
Dzmitry
Member
 
Dzmitry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 63
Thanks: 46
Thanked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Woah, wtf. Why is it so hot? Even before I had the Forester exchanger on, it didn't get anywhere near that in the dead of summer.
Actually, that is quite normal. Cruising at speeds of 70-80 mph, my oil temperature centers right between the 190-270 mark (Around 230F). His looks slightly higher due to sustaining higher RPM's. This is a topic I recently brought up in another thread and am curious myself if running at 230F for periods of an hour often times is something for me to consider in long term engine wear. I plan on keeping my car for as long as I can, and I DD it somewhat, so I am trying to determine if a Forester heat exchanger is necessary or if these temps are not significant enough to cause any excess wear running on 0W-20.

The thread that I began this discussion at recently starting on post #108:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...t=91820&page=8

Also, here are some good reads on the topic of oil and research on brands:
https://www.minimania.com/Motor_Oils..._Misunderstood (Informative of the basics and misunderstandings of oil. Loads of good information).
https://www.ilma.org/PDF/ILMANews/2017/AAAreport.pdf (Not really related to these topics, but just goes to show that there is no reason to be using conventional oil anymore for all new car applications).
https://dextrous-lubricant.com/amsoil/PDF/g3115.pdf (Probably posted a few times somewhere around this thread or others, but some interesting information on brand comparisons).

Last edited by Dzmitry; 09-19-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #101
tehShirt
Senior Member
 
tehShirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 392
Thanks: 428
Thanked 296 Times in 158 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Woah, wtf. Why is it so hot? Even before I had the Forester exchanger on, it didn't get anywhere near that in the dead of summer.

I had a 2 hour road trip cruising around 70-75 mph on the highway and my oil was around those temps. Anytime I'm on the highway it gets up there, I assume it's due to the elevated RPM when cruising above 60 mph.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #102
weederr33
Airborne at your service
 
weederr33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,616
Thanks: 2,575
Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,229 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
I had a 2 hour road trip cruising around 70-75 mph on the highway and my oil was around those temps. Anytime I'm on the highway it gets up there, I assume it's due to the elevated RPM when cruising above 60 mph.
I've seen mine climb up to about 225-230 on long 2-3hr drives but that's about it now that I have the oil regulator on. But I normally don't go above 75mph for long cruises anyway. The way their gauge looked made it seem much higher.
__________________
Series.Yellowbird - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122135

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #103
celicanegrita
Junior Member
 
celicanegrita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: Toyota Celica VVTi 7gen
Location: Madrid, SPAIN
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi there,
Anybody using the Forrester OEM solution to keep the oil on the right mark can share some experiences? I have to do something with my oil temp because in the spirited mountain roads the oil reaches 130C (270F) and I have to slow dow to cool it...somo of you are recommending the Forrester solution because it is enough while others think that this solution is more oriented to warm the oil faster on winter days. The other way to go it is an oil cooler...but maybe this is not really needed. Any help or comment wil be appreciated!!!!
celicanegrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #104
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, 00 outback, 05 Colorado
Location: Dallas
Posts: 853
Thanks: 180
Thanked 617 Times in 352 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by celicanegrita View Post
Hi there,
Anybody using the Forrester OEM solution to keep the oil on the right mark can share some experiences? I have to do something with my oil temp because in the spirited mountain roads the oil reaches 130C (270F) and I have to slow dow to cool it...somo of you are recommending the Forrester solution because it is enough while others think that this solution is more oriented to warm the oil faster on winter days. The other way to go it is an oil cooler...but maybe this is not really needed. Any help or comment wil be appreciated!!!!
For what you are doing the Forrester OEM solution should work. As far as heating/cooling is concerned its a thermal dynamics thing.... If the oil is colder than the coolant it will warm it, If the oil is hotter than the coolant it will cool it.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #105
celicanegrita
Junior Member
 
celicanegrita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: Toyota Celica VVTi 7gen
Location: Madrid, SPAIN
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
For what you are doing the Forrester OEM solution should work. As far as heating/cooling is concerned its a thermal dynamics thing.... If the oil is colder than the coolant it will warm it, If the oil is hotter than the coolant it will cool it.

First, thank you Grady for you comments...I wonder if I am plannig some autocross sessions or some racetracks occasionally, the forrester solution will be enough too...because that is really the purpose of having a BRZ in my case.
celicanegrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #106
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, 00 outback, 05 Colorado
Location: Dallas
Posts: 853
Thanks: 180
Thanked 617 Times in 352 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by celicanegrita View Post
First, thank you Grady for you comments...I wonder if I am plannig some autocross sessions or some racetracks occasionally, the forrester solution will be enough too...because that is really the purpose of having a BRZ in my case.
For NA, I would say Autocross no problem, Track good unless you are going to be doing over 20 min sessions.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #107
celicanegrita
Junior Member
 
celicanegrita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: Toyota Celica VVTi 7gen
Location: Madrid, SPAIN
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
For NA, I would say Autocross no problem, Track good unless you are going to be doing over 20 min sessions.

Ok, I understand....thanx!
celicanegrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:03 AM   #108
AngelGT86Racer
Member
 
AngelGT86Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Drives: 2013 Raven FRS DD/AutoX
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 42
Thanks: 27
Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the Forester/WRX cooler routed through the throttle body.


For mountain/spirited canyon driving, I see peaks of ~232 F.
Autocross runs that are a minute long or less, I can't even get the oil up to operating temp (212 F).


Track, I don't believe it's enough cooling. On a 75 F ambient day, I see peak temps as high as 251 F. The temp itself isn't catastrophic for the oil if it's a quality oil. My concern is with how much my oil pressure tapers at high rpm when I hit those temps.


I don't plan to track my car again until I get a more serious cooler - something with an external radiator that will keep oil temp <240 F for 20 min sessions.
__________________
2013 FR-S Raven, AutoX/Track/Daily Driver
Build: Angel's Dual Duty FR-S Build
YouTube: Angel Christov
AngelGT86Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelGT86Racer For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 05:52 AM   #109
celicanegrita
Junior Member
 
celicanegrita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: Toyota Celica VVTi 7gen
Location: Madrid, SPAIN
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGT86Racer View Post
I have the Forester/WRX cooler routed through the throttle body.


For mountain/spirited canyon driving, I see peaks of ~232 F.
Autocross runs that are a minute long or less, I can't even get the oil up to operating temp (212 F).


Track, I don't believe it's enough cooling. On a 75 F ambient day, I see peak temps as high as 251 F. The temp itself isn't catastrophic for the oil if it's a quality oil. My concern is with how much my oil pressure tapers at high rpm when I hit those temps.


I don't plan to track my car again until I get a more serious cooler - something with an external radiator that will keep oil temp <240 F for 20 min sessions.

I see...that's why I am not sure if I should be going for the Forrester cooler and spend the money is something that will not be enough...or save the money and buy a real oil cooler...


The Forrester cooler kit will cost me around 250 and the Mitshmoto thermostatic oil cooler around 500...
celicanegrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:12 AM   #110
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,973
Thanks: 391
Thanked 1,782 Times in 944 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If I was going to do the twins again I would still go O2W, namely a JR

https://jacksonracing.com/product/fr...toroil-cooler/
__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
I'm only here for the biscuits
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #111
celicanegrita
Junior Member
 
celicanegrita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: Toyota Celica VVTi 7gen
Location: Madrid, SPAIN
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
If I was going to do the twins again I would still go O2W, namely a JR

https://jacksonracing.com/product/fr...toroil-cooler/

Ummm...interesting solution, but I would not like to change the OEM radiator...thanks any way for this original alterntive.
celicanegrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #112
ZDan
Senior Member
 
ZDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: '17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 2,474
Thanks: 307
Thanked 1,503 Times in 869 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celicanegrita View Post
I have to do something with my oil temp because in the spirited mountain roads the oil reaches 130C (270F) and I have to slow dow to cool it...
Wow, I never see anything like that on the street...

At the track, I get to ~272F indicated and it holds there. Even in 95F ambient temps. Do you feel your oil temp would "run away" if you didn't slow to cool down?

Good synthetic can handle 270F oil temps, much higher even, but I would recommend running 5w30 weight or maybe even 5w40 to keep viscosity at elevated temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGT86Racer View Post
I have the Forester/WRX cooler routed through the throttle body.
...
Track, I don't believe it's enough cooling. On a 75 F ambient day, I see peak temps as high as 251 F. The temp itself isn't catastrophic for the oil if it's a quality oil. My concern is with how much my oil pressure tapers at high rpm when I hit those temps.
251F I wouldn't worry. Run 5w30 and viscosity should be similar to 0w20 at 220F.

I'm running 272F every session, usually 15 minutes duration. I don't feel the need to run an oil cooler. I do run 5w30 oil, might consider 5w40.

Regarding pressure at elevated rpm, there's a good thread on this suggesting a larger-diameter aftermarket pickup tube improves this. I'm considering that before tracking this year. I don't have any plans to run an oil cooler for my usage...
ZDan is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Head unit depth bluenoserforever Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 0 07-25-2013 09:50 PM
Depth Behind Radio Opening? kmbkk Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 0 10-07-2012 11:21 PM
Detailed In-Depth Tour of the BRZ Subaruwrxfan Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 49 06-22-2012 05:38 PM
Depth of speed DIG1992 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 6 05-22-2012 01:13 PM
AE86: An In-Depth Look at A Legend Axel Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 25 01-26-2010 10:44 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.