follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #15
J1Avs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 396
Thanks: 239
Thanked 231 Times in 125 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaItalia View Post
you misspoke, here, i fix...whatever nonsense poops into their head
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,147
Thanks: 53,026
Thanked 86,818 Times in 38,646 Posts
Mentioned: 2198 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaItalia View Post
you misspoke, here, i fix...whatever nonsense poops into their head
And that is just the ones that start the ball rolling. All the others that simply parrot the bull by saying "according to madeupautocrap.com the ..." are regurgitating that poop. They aren't even bright enough to make up their own poop.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #17
Th3rdSun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 402
Thanks: 79
Thanked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post

People screaming at a $50k Supra also just blows my mind. At its highest price, the last gen approached $50K, and that was over 20 years ago when $50K was much more money. Even its $40K price point would be about $65k today. With the trend of the NSX and GT-R, if anything, Iím surprised it came in at 50K and not higher.
It's not that it's $50k,it's that it's $50k and you get less for your money than say a 370Z Nismo,which is $5k less,more power,and offered in a manual.Hell,you can get the non Nismo version and have more power for $20k less!

I feel like if if this car was 400hp out of the box,no one would complain about the price.I know that people will tune it and squeeze more power out of it,but anyone that thinks this motor will do what the 2JZ was able to do might be a tad bit more that optimistic,and that's where the value of the Mark IV is,even if it's $60k+ in today's money.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #18
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator
 
Dave-ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,944
Thanks: 834
Thanked 5,393 Times in 2,451 Posts
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew4554 View Post
I want them to kill the 86. So all of our cars will be a collectors.
Eh the more that get made, the more that get wrecked, the more I can buy to rebuild.
__________________
-Dave
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback || Oh yeah and a 2013 Scion FR-S too..

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #19
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator
 
Dave-ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,944
Thanks: 834
Thanked 5,393 Times in 2,451 Posts
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
This quote from Tada to R&T makes it sound like the 86 has a solid future; otherwise their would be no concern of manual (especially the 4cylinder) Supra poaching the 86 market. I havenít seen this discussed much, especially with all the recent fake news flowing out over the last week or so:


Tada explained that the potential for a manual Supra is complicated by the positioning of the 86, which, of course, offers a stick shift. "I don't want to sound too business-y, but I also need to support the 86. Looking at the role of the 86 and the role of the Supra, I want to differentiate, make sure they each have their own identity," he said. "If the Supra had a manual transmission, there's nowhere for the 86 to go."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...-future-plans/
Or... they just didn't want to pay for all the testing required to offer both transmissions on a niche car.
__________________
-Dave
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback || Oh yeah and a 2013 Scion FR-S too..

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
J1Avs (02-06-2019), Rampage (02-10-2019), Tcoat (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #20
J1Avs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 396
Thanks: 239
Thanked 231 Times in 125 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
It's not that it's $50k,it's that it's $50k and you get less for your money than say a 370Z Nismo,which is $5k less,more power,and offered in a manual.Hell,you can get the non Nismo version and have more power for $20k less!

I feel like if if this car was 400hp out of the box,no one would complain about the price.I know that people will tune it and squeeze more power out of it,but anyone that thinks this motor will do what the 2JZ was able to do might be a tad bit more that optimistic,and that's where the value of the Mark IV is,even if it's $60k+ in today's money.
I get that, but you could use that argument for just about any car that happens to be cheaper/more powerful than a car more expensive than it. Take the American horsepower wars going on. You could argue all of those vehicles are better value than say a Porsche, McLaren, etc. that costs substantially more money. Power to Dollar isn’t the only factor at play here. They are marketing it as a higher end vehicle. Also on the 370Z, that argument would stand that you can get much more car from a Mustang GT/Camaro SS for about the same pride as a 370Z.

Re: the 370Z. It’s a solid vehicle, but definitely doesn’t have the interior refinements of a 2019, simply because it’s pretty much still a car built in 2009. I do love the new Nismo’s and seriously considered one before picking up my tS, but I wouldn’t be surprised that when/if Nissan comes out with a new Z, if it won’t see similar pricing, or at least a decent price hike.

But hey, we all have our opinions of its price, what’s worth it or not, etc. None of us are right or wrong, it’s just what is important to the individual. Hell, people think getting the tS was stupid, I say hogwash to that, I love my car and it’s worth every stupid penny I’ve dumped into it!

Last edited by J1Avs; 02-06-2019 at 11:24 AM.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #21
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,147
Thanks: 53,026
Thanked 86,818 Times in 38,646 Posts
Mentioned: 2198 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
I get that, but you could use that argument for just about any car that happens to be cheaper/more powerful than a car more expensive than it. Take the American horsepower wars going on. You could argue all of those vehicles are better value than say a Porsche, McLaren, etc. that costs substantially more money. Power to Dollar isnít the only factor at play here. They are marketing it as a higher end vehicle. Also on the 370Z, that argument would stand that you can get much more car from a Mustang GT/Camaro SS for about the same pride as a 370Z.

Re: the 370Z. Itís a solid vehicle, but definitely doesnít have the interior refinements of a 2019, simply because itís pretty much still a car built in 2009. I do love the new Nismoís and seriously considered one before picking up my tS, but I wouldnít be surprised that when/if Nissan comes out with a new Z, if it wonít see similar pricing, or at least a decent price hike.

But hey, we all have our opinions of its price, whatís worth it or not, etc. None of us are right or wrong, itís just what is important to the individual. Hell, people think getting the tS was stupid, I say hogwash to that, I love my car and itís worth every stupid penny Iíve dumped into it!
And the $30K version is not the same standard as the $45K version.

Much like the 86 people want a whole shopping list of things for half the price it costs to make the car and then get all indigent because they feel they are being ripped off at the actual price. This of course leads to poor comparisons in order to support their belief.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (02-07-2019), J1Avs (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #22
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno
 
Summerwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: 2014 Wrb limited
Location: North Indiana
Posts: 3,218
Thanks: 1,982
Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,255 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would love to believe the new Supra is a better car than an ancient 370z. In every way. Even without a manual.

It will be interesting to see what happens when they start actually appearing.


Anyways, 2nd gen 86? No interest here. Just another car the internet will pan and "enthusiasts" will despise.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #23
FR-Sky
Senior Member
 
FR-Sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,190
Thanks: 385
Thanked 389 Times in 264 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Planning to drive my 1st gen 86 until 200k miles
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #24
Dadillac
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: 2018 Ford Mustang EB Premium 6M
Location: Iselin NJ
Posts: 99
Thanks: 1
Thanked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Wow it's amazing how all threads morph into a "Supra" thread. I know that the 2nd gen 86 pic is an independent rendering. It was just that it was the first time I saw it and could not believe how incredibly ugly it was to my eyes. I in no way was insinuating that I thought this was the future of the twins. I would be open to trading my car early if the next gen has the FA24 turbo but not if it looked like that. Just my story and I'm sticking to it


Don
__________________
Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome
Dadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadillac For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #25
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,147
Thanks: 53,026
Thanked 86,818 Times in 38,646 Posts
Mentioned: 2198 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
Wow it's amazing how all threads morph into a "Supra" thread. I know that the 2nd gen 86 pic is an independent rendering. It was just that it was the first time I saw it and could not believe how incredibly ugly it was to my eyes. I in no way was insinuating that I thought this was the future of the twins. I would be open to trading my car early if the next gen has the FA24 turbo but not if it looked like that. Just my story and I'm sticking to it


Don
Wasn't you I was yelling at it was the damn clickbaits using the same homemade render for every article they write on the 86.People will see that monstrosity and think it is in some way a leaked official picture because that is what the site wants them to think.
The Supra was relevant to the conversation not as a comparison but by the clear statement that they don't want to have each model cross over each other. That pretty much excludes a big HP boost for the 86.
That said if they go with the new engine do not expect the next gen 86 to be much like the current one. It very well could look like one of the fantasy renders.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:16 AM   #26
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,957
Thanks: 385
Thanked 1,742 Times in 928 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are the rendered vents functional?



__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
I'm only here for the biscuits
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (02-07-2019), Tcoat (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #27
Th3rdSun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 402
Thanks: 79
Thanked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
I get that, but you could use that argument for just about any car that happens to be cheaper/more powerful than a car more expensive than it. Take the American horsepower wars going on. You could argue all of those vehicles are better value than say a Porsche, McLaren, etc. that costs substantially more money. Power to Dollar isnít the only factor at play here. They are marketing it as a higher end vehicle. Also on the 370Z, that argument would stand that you can get much more car from a Mustang GT/Camaro SS for about the same pride as a 370Z.

Re: the 370Z. Itís a solid vehicle, but definitely doesnít have the interior refinements of a 2019, simply because itís pretty much still a car built in 2009. I do love the new Nismoís and seriously considered one before picking up my tS, but I wouldnít be surprised that when/if Nissan comes out with a new Z, if it wonít see similar pricing, or at least a decent price hike.

But hey, we all have our opinions of its price, whatís worth it or not, etc. None of us are right or wrong, itís just what is important to the individual. Hell, people think getting the tS was stupid, I say hogwash to that, I love my car and itís worth every stupid penny Iíve dumped into it!
The thing is,those arguments are made on a daily basis,and are valid.When cars that cost $100k+ are getting outperformed by cars that are half the price,what are you paying for other than the name? Maybe reliability? Maybe resellability? If you say yes to those two,then it's probably worth it from an investment standpoint. If you are just paying extra money for a badge or status symbol,then is it really worth it? I guess it really depends on the individual.

Ultimately,the only reason why there aren't any wrong answers is because those cars that are "overpriced" for the performance are still getting made and enough people are buying them. I guess the market will always determine what's worth it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Anyways, 2nd gen 86? No interest here. Just another car the internet will pan and "enthusiasts" will despise.
So the only reason that you aren't interested in a 2nd gen 86 is because of what the internet might say about it?
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #28
extrashaky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Location: USA
Posts: 3,973
Thanks: 1,078
Thanked 5,496 Times in 2,218 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Meanwhile, here's a leaked photo of the second generation BRZ "Skorpion" concept, set to go into production when Toyota separates from Subaru:

extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-07-2019)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.