follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Need Help Picking New Phone

So I get a message from the store i got my iphone 3 from saying i am eligible for a new FREE phone so i went in and had a look at some sony's the nokia N8 and acouple of other "smart" phones and couldnt decide, so having read the iphone v andriod operating system thread and not understood 80% of it decided to make this one to see what suggestions you guys have and so i can make a better decision.

Ok so 1st off i dont want the iphone 4 i have an iphone and am not obbsessed with it so i dont see the point going to the next version, especially because mine is working just fine and i can do the same things on it, oh and i dont want it beause EVERY1 has one

the features i want/need on the phone are:

-fast clear internet that appears on the phone screen as it does on a actual computer
-be able to watch videos on the net(youtube)
-touch screen/ big screen
-good camera
-games/apps must be able to dwnld apps
-video record
-ability to have ur own custom ring tone/message tone
-radio would be nice
-music player dsnt need to be iphone quality coz i barely use it but just enough so as something to listen to when bored
-standard features, voice call, sms, mms, email and that sort of stuff

i think thats it i'll add more if i think of any
Calais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
well i'd say just upgrade to Iphone 4 but you dont seem to want that so droid x or incredible? thats a pretty good phone, I dont know too much about what else is out there, theres the new windows phone though dont know much about it
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
I had a iPhone 3G, was sick of it and got a samsung hd icon (over a year ago) let's just say that nothing has the same app support as the osx.
Looking at the N8 vs a galaxy (symbian^3 vs android) the operating system wise n8 is nokia so it has some sort of backing, but the galaxy is much better. Also my friends have both a n8 and a galaxy and playing with both, galaxy is better.. N8 has 12pm camera, but the lens is so small all the pics are blurry.. Galaxy is again better.. Galaxy is faster on the net to
This was in regards to the galaxy s from android phones since I believe it is the best thing at the moment.
What I did? After a year on symbian with samsung hd (which had a 8mp camera btw) I got SO sick of the lack of apps I got so accustomed to and just got a iphone4. The lack of apps drove away from every phone and back to the iPhone really that was the main reason. Yeah ok everyone has one (granted I did get one on the 1st day lol, that's how much I missed osx). The camera is 5mp but honestly I take clearer photos than my friends n8 and it's the only phone I have seen that can do bracketing and merging (hdr), I'm in to photography a bit sorry if that doesn't make sense. The difference between it and the 3GS is the speed, screen resolution and camera really. Screen resolution is huge, so you can't really see pixels.
I hope this helps man. All the phones with android would be the same if not similar in performance. My friend got the n8 over iPhone only cus he is Finnish.. Lol and he didn't think he wants to have a phone and iPod in one so he bought a iPod 2 (iPhone is one of the best phone when it comes to transferring and playing music)
Old 11-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
toper

Drives: 2007 Eclipse GT
i got the samsung galaxy s (vibrant) and the tmobile 3g internet is fast, you can watch any video frm youtube under 12 secs, good camera (no flash though) with good video and sound, fast response (1ghz processor) and it has the swype feature where you can text by scribling through the touchscreen keyboard.. the only con for me which is true to all hightech smartphone is the battery life but overall im very satisfied. paying $80 a month unlimited everything except minutes (i took the lowest minutes plan because i mainly use this for entertainment and text)

hope that helps
toper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
You can get a droid incredible but they got shity games, if your a gamer the iphone has tons of online games you can play with other people. Like modern combat sandstorm or the new modern combat 2 black pegasus, NOVA and element pro. You can race with other people on reckless & real racing, we have flash now thanks to 3rd party skyfire. Video talk with 3g data by tango, download movies direct to your iphone by the app download pro.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
HTC HD7 or up coming whatever model with Meego OS.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Calais

Garage
hey guys thanks for the feedback after looking on the net it seems the droid phones dont work on the australian network and all the ones that do i dont like lol, hmm i'll just keep looking feel free to still post suggestions though, as i dont want to go to the shop again and get one on impulse
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
Shevon

Drives: Accord Coupe
iphone 4 for verizon
Old 01-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #9
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
We don't have verizon in the land of the oz m8
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Calais

Garage
just letting you guys know i ended up picking the Nokia N8 and im happy with it, i dont miss all the apps at all and it still is good with the internet and it has maps(thats all i needed really) OH and i now have my own personalised ringtone and msg tone
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevon View Post
iphone 4 for verizon
I would wait for the next release, possibly iPhone 5 4G LTE (for those in the US).