follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Carlysh
Senior Member
 
Carlysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2007 Mazda 3, New Raven FR-S 6mt
Location: Florida
Posts: 179
Thanks: 90
Thanked 61 Times in 45 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
HI Guys just need a little help before buying the car

Hi Guys hope your are doing well in your Fr-s I just need help from you Guys to not worry about the issues I am getting the Car hopefull at the end of the month i have some question sorry I am new in the Forum bear with me maybe these

1) I have read some thread about the cricket sound i know some dont have some have if it after 300 the problem is as soon i get the i drive to miami 2:30 drive 200+ plus mile yeah i will drive it lol and the wife will drive it
it is a easy fix i read that the warranty fix it wich a better fuel pump but i plan to tune it because i want a track car on weekend but that my wife can drive it to miami for her master degree

2) i saw the the injector leaks that have a poping sound like 1000+ plus miles
should i be concern about this issues when buying the car does toyota will fix it? i know if i mod the car the warraty can be denied but the mods i plan first are tires/suspension and tune since i read the tune helps a lot

Oh one more hing a good price on the car

Thanks a lot Guys for your time and pacience helping me
Carlysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Celica00
Senior Member
 
Celica00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: 86
Location: utah
Posts: 1,156
Thanks: 842
Thanked 798 Times in 434 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I haven't heard much about injector leaks..
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,193
Thanks: 13,469
Thanked 9,287 Times in 4,887 Posts
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
A. Get a browser with spell check built in (Firefox or Chrome are popular right now)

B. There is no "fix" for the chirping, you can get the pump swapped and it will be quiet for awhile but it usually comes back. It's intermittent and doesn't bother most people, at this point I personally doubt there will ever be a "fix", it has no negative impact on the vehicle, it's just annoying to some.

C. Currently the "cause" is determined to be shifting at or near redline quickly and aggressively causing knock. The pre-emptive fix is probably going to be reflash the ECU whenever they release an official service bulletin. This could change but shouldn't be a problem at all if you take it easy, your mods should not impact the warranty service of this issue. If you plan on tracking or "racing" heavily you may want to wait until this issue has gotten a better resolution.

For reference: injector leak thread, there's at least two or three others but this is the most focused
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36129

D. Go to Scion's website, build the car you want, print it out, that's the price you should pay. If a dealer won't get you that car then find another dealer, some people in California ended up buying the car in Colorado (or even further, the North East reportedly has a bunch rusting on the lots) due to poor dealer cooperation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly

Last edited by strat61caster; 06-13-2013 at 09:01 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
GeorgeJFrick
Senior Member
 
GeorgeJFrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited LR
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 362
Thanks: 231
Thanked 205 Times in 138 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlysh View Post
Hi Guys hope your are doing well in your Fr-s I just need help from you Guys to not worry about the issues I am getting the Car hopefull at the end of the month i have some question sorry I am new in the Forum bear with me maybe these

1) I have read some thread about the cricket sound i know some dont have some have if it after 300 the problem is as soon i get the i drive to miami 2:30 drive 200+ plus mile yeah i will drive it lol and the wife will drive it
it is a easy fix i read that the warranty fix it wich a better fuel pump but i plan to tune it because i want a track car on weekend but that my wife can drive it to miami for her master degree

2) i saw the the injector leaks that have a poping sound like 1000+ plus miles
should i be concern about this issues when buying the car does toyota will fix it? i know if i mod the car the warraty can be denied but the mods i plan first are tires/suspension and tune since i read the tune helps a lot

Oh one more hing a good price on the car

Thanks a lot Guys for your time and pacience helping me
Hi Guys. I hope your are doing well in your FR-S. I need help from you guys to quell my worries about some issues. I will hopefully be getting the car at the end of the month. I have some questions. Sorry I am new to the forum so bear with me.

1) I have read some threads about the cricket sound. I will be driving the car a lot early on, and I'm worried I'll miss the warranty repair because I plan to tune the car? I plan to share the car with my wife. I will track it and she will drive to school.

2) I read that the injectors can leak with a popping sound at 1000+ plus miles.
Should I be concerned about this issue when buying the car, or will it be covered under warranty? I know if I mod the car the warraty can be denied. So, the mods I plan first are tires, suspension, and tune.

Before I go; please tell me what to search for to find the 'good price' thread.

Thank you for your time,



Don't do anything to the car for a while. If you have a problem, have it repaired under warranty. No matter what you do to the car keep paperwork and a log of what you did.

There are plenty of other threads around that you could explore; where people explain their warranty issues.

I take delivery of my BRZ on the 1st; the chirping/etc does not worry me if that helps you feel better.
GeorgeJFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgeJFrick For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (06-13-2013), strat61caster (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Carlysh
Senior Member
 
Carlysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2007 Mazda 3, New Raven FR-S 6mt
Location: Florida
Posts: 179
Thanks: 90
Thanked 61 Times in 45 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
A. Get a browser with spell check built in (Firefox or Chrome are popular right now)

B. There is no "fix" for the chirping, you can get the pump swapped and it will be quiet for awhile but it usually comes back. It's intermittent and doesn't bother most people, at this point I personally doubt there will ever be a "fix", it has no negative impact on the vehicle, it's just annoying to some.

C. Currently the "cause" is determined to be shifting at or near redline quickly and aggressively causing knock. The pre-emptive fix is probably going to be reflash the ECU whenever they release an official service bulletin. This could change but shouldn't be a problem at all if you take it easy, your mods should not impact the warranty service of this issue. If you plan on tracking or "racing" heavily you may want to wait until this issue has gotten a better resolution.

For reference: injector leak thread, there's at least two or three others but this is the most focused
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36129

D. Go to Scion's website, build the car you want, print it out, that's the price you should pay. If a dealer won't get you that car then find another dealer, some people in California ended up buying the car in Colorado (or even further, the North East reportedly has a bunch rusting on the lots) due to poor dealer cooperation.
Sorry for my spelling
Thanks a lot so i will check prices out of florida and have them delivery to me sounds good idea for a good price i check it out

the issues I am making sure is good i plan on track racing but not very heavy maybe once every 2 month (not sure if that is heavy).

So i stick with the tires/suspension/ tune and maybe the trd intake will help for the warranty

thanks a lot
Carlysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Carlysh
Senior Member
 
Carlysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2007 Mazda 3, New Raven FR-S 6mt
Location: Florida
Posts: 179
Thanks: 90
Thanked 61 Times in 45 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJFrick View Post
Hi Guys. I hope your are doing well in your FR-S. I need help from you guys to quell my worries about some issues. I will hopefully be getting the car at the end of the month. I have some questions. Sorry I am new to the forum so bear with me.

1) I have read some threads about the cricket sound. I will be driving the car a lot early on, and I'm worried I'll miss the warranty repair because I plan to tune the car? I plan to share the car with my wife. I will track it and she will drive to school.

2) I read that the injectors can leak with a popping sound at 1000+ plus miles.
Should I be concerned about this issue when buying the car, or will it be covered under warranty? I know if I mod the car the warraty can be denied. So, the mods I plan first are tires, suspension, and tune.

Before I go; please tell me what to search for to find the 'good price' thread.

Thank you for your time,



Don't do anything to the car for a while. If you have a problem, have it repaired under warranty. No matter what you do to the car keep paperwork and a log of what you did.

There are plenty of other threads around that you could explore; where people explain their warranty issues.

I take delivery of my BRZ on the 1st; the chirping/etc does not worry me if that helps you feel better.
Thanks for fixing my spelling thanks for your time i dont mind much the sound chirping if it doesnt hurt the engine and lose power i am good
Carlysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
supra2nv
Senior Member
 
supra2nv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: 10 Series TRD
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,407
Thanks: 2,329
Thanked 1,169 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
A. Get a browser with spell check built in (Firefox or Chrome are popular right now)
.
lol
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016
 
dem00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Scion FRS
Location: New York
Posts: 3,575
Thanks: 788
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
At 20K i don't even noticed the chirping and not a single person has pointed it out. Not even my friends who point out random cars needing carb tunings...

Go buy it, you'll be the only one on your block with a car that sounds like an insect.
__________________
Friends don't let friends Plastidip
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dem00n For This Useful Post:
xanth123 (06-17-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
thill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Location: North Pole
Posts: 2,753
Thanks: 328
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My car was built March 2013 and no chirping. That is not to say that it wont surface, but so far so good.

Those injector issues seemed to be very isolated and very few when you consider how many of these cars are out there on the road.

Not saying Scion/Subaru should not be held accountable, but any car has issues. It sucks for the people that have the issues, but there is not a perfect car out there and you can do much worse than a Subaru or Toyota.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 29,264
Thanks: 27,746
Thanked 30,545 Times in 15,965 Posts
Mentioned: 696 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hello Carlysh and welcome to FR-S ownership!

My car has only 1300 miles on it, but I haven't heard any "chirping" or seen any evidence of injector leaks.

I understand that most of them are pretty good, right out of the box.

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 06-14-2013 at 01:16 AM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #11
BadMoon
Senior Member
 
BadMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Location: Central PA
Posts: 551
Thanks: 118
Thanked 356 Times in 167 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car is awesome. Just buy it. You have been helped.
BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BadMoon For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (06-16-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #12
GNS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: .
Location: Ontario
Posts: 350
Thanks: 28
Thanked 223 Times in 105 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Crickets are good luck in some parts of the world.
GNS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GNS For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (06-16-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
marky
Senior Member
 
marky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Location: san diego ca
Posts: 1,142
Thanks: 616
Thanked 824 Times in 407 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
have not heard injectors problems.. i do have crickets but now its off and on. dont really care about the cricket due to i listen to music and getting exhaust soon

remember you can always get it service. its part of the warranty but going to dealer is bit scary due to they might ding your car or something might happen.. like joyrides/dents/dings ect.. trust a good dealer
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marky For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (06-16-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
vgi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: frs
Location: nj
Posts: 723
Thanks: 237
Thanked 347 Times in 232 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
pretty much what @strat61caster said.

to add, for mine car built on 2/13 crickets stated after I filled up gas from a random station and stayed even after I refilled at my usual station. it seems that most people, but not all, don't have crickets if use gas without ethanol. it's unavailable in NJ tho, so I'm out of luck. there is also a new revision of fuel pump which is ~supposedly~ fixes the issue but it really has not been confirmed yet. some of the recently installed pumps do have crickets back, but those could be old stock of fuel pumps rather than the new ones. as it stands at this point - there is no (confirmed) fix yet. this could be annoying when you stop at the red light and your new car sounds like 20yo pos with loose belts. i personally try not to use clutch and just drive on the second gear when parking at train station garage

the blown injectors issue started happening fairly recently primarily with people who track their cars and/or have tunes. some people think that it's because of poor custom tunes but most seem to believe that people that have tunes just drive their cars hard shifting at or over 5k rpm which causes detonation. their is not enough data/research right now as i believe i have seen posts from people who said they didn't drive their cars hard and still have blown injectors. there are lots of cars though with tunes and FI kits who have not had this issue. nevertheless it is a concern for long term reliability and i'm curious to see what happens within next year or two. meanwhile i am staying completely stock although I prepared to shell money for header-back exhaust and FI.
here are some threads on the issue:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=993067
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36129
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36008
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37528
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38397
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37810

read and make your own decision. the car though really come alive only after 3k rpm and begs to be revved.

officially, you can still drive it as maniac and track it just don't do timed sessions and don't mod your car or your warranty could be denied (some folks reported that dealers have given them hard time even for simple bolt-ons like intake and cat-backs). otherwise, if anything happens, the blown injectors will be fixed under warranty.

another thing, the manual tranny is finicky - the suggestions are to install shifter bushing and tranny bushing and change tranny and diff fluids to something better. for various rattling issues there are TSBs and DIYs. for my taste, the steering is bit delayed/unwilling/numb, planning to address this with aluminum steering rack bushings.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
injectors, issues, leak, price

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BC Coilover settings you guys guys ride on g0lden Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 26 04-06-2014 07:56 PM
Help with buying an STI Lip Kit merlin2111 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 2 06-05-2013 10:35 PM
Im buying one. Griffdawg Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 10 06-19-2012 02:12 PM
New Car Buying 101 Guff Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 6 03-23-2012 07:06 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.