follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #155
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Did you guys get around to testing the Sport kit with stock wheels?
Old 10-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #156
Rafi@RR-racing

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeT View Post
One more question about the e-brake functionality :

Can we still use it for up hill start ? (holding the car).
My garage exit is kinda hard

E-brake is totally functional as a parking and hill starts on all our rear kits. With our aluminum hats, we just say that you shouldn't use it for aggressive e-brake activation (as you would if you were using the car for drifting). Its not really an issue otherwise, you can use it as a parking brake no problem.

In any case, most drifters I believe do not use the drum parking brake for initiating drifts, they use a separate small caliper that is actuated by a hydraulic "e-brake" making it much quicker and more effective than a mechanical e-brake or a hydraulic/mechanical hybrid e-brake.

Our new Sport Performance 4 piston rear kit is steel (uses STi rear rotors) so its 100% functional like stock.

Rafi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rafi@RR-racing For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-17-2015), MaximeT (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #157
Rafi@RR-racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
Did you guys get around to testing the Sport kit with stock wheels?

We just tested the Sport Performance 4 piston front kit with stock wheels. It requires 5mm spacers to clear the calipers. That's not bad, as in most cases it does not require using longer studs.

The Sport Performance kit requires a bit more clearance than our Stage I kit, because it uses thick 0.8" pads, which are really economical (last a long time) and great for the track.

Rafi
DAEMANO (11-17-2015), LOLS2K (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #158
MaximeT

Drives: GT86-ACE-JRZ-RPF1-Essex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi@RR-racing View Post
E-brake is totally functional as a parking and hill starts on all our rear kits. With our aluminum hats, we just say that you shouldn't use it for aggressive e-brake activation (as you would if you were using the car for drifting). Its not really an issue otherwise, you can use it as a parking brake no problem.

In any case, most drifters I believe do not use the drum parking brake for initiating drifts, they use a separate small caliper that is actuated by a hydraulic "e-brake" making it much quicker and more effective than a mechanical e-brake or a hydraulic/mechanical hybrid e-brake.

Our new Sport Performance 4 piston rear kit is steel (uses STi rear rotors) so its 100% functional like stock.

Rafi
Thanks, I'll buy your stage lV very soon.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:41 PM   #159
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
We just tested the Sport Performance 4 piston front kit with stock wheels. It requires 5mm spacers to clear the calipers. That's not bad, as in most cases it does not require using longer studs.

The Sport Performance kit requires a bit more clearance than our Stage I kit, because it uses thick 0.8" pads, which are really economical (last a long time) and great for the track.

Rafi
You're absolutely right, that's not bad at all. Thanks for the info. Keep it up guys!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:36 AM   #160
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Rafi

Hey Rafi, what's the latest with the rear sport performance kit?
Old 11-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #161
Vten

Drives: Too heavy
Pm sent @ravi@rr-racing
Old 11-17-2015, 03:00 AM   #162
MaximeT

Drives: GT86-ACE-JRZ-RPF1-Essex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
RR sent me a pic of the new anodized logo :
ck-GT86 (11-17-2015), DAEMANO (11-17-2015), Lynxis (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #163
Rafi@RR-racing

Greetings Everyone:

Our new Sport Performance rear 4 piston kit is now complete, just in time for the holidays, and also with a special holiday sale price!

Also attaching pics of our new "RR Racing" logo calipers for our Stage II and Stage IV kits which feature black anodized calipers.
DAEMANO (11-17-2015), MaximeT (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #164
Wraithrider

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rafi
What would you say the % of stopping power is lost with the sport kit vs the stage IV kit

Are you says 5mm shims needed with stocl wheel sizes?
Old 11-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #165
Wraithrider

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
saying 5mm shims
Old 11-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #166
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Quote:
Greetings Everyone:

Our new Sport Performance rear 4 piston kit is now complete, just in time for the holidays, and also with a special holiday sale price!

Also attaching pics of our new "RR Racing" logo calipers for our Stage II and Stage IV kits which feature black anodized calipers.

Hey Rafi thanks for the update. Not quite what I was hoping for because of the smaller rotors and caliper on the sport rear kit.

Is the reason for this because there is no off the shelf one piece rotor available that would clear the ebrake stuff in 328mm? If that option were on the table it is what I would go for, basically your stage 1 rear but with a one piece rotor for decreased cost.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #167
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in with a little "update". We have been running the new Sport Performance rear setup on a test car for the last two weeks. The car is NA, with 235/40/18 Federal RSR's and sees mixed street and track use. The owner of the car commutes 40 miles each way to work, but also tracks his car 4-5 times a year. He is already running the RR-Racing Stage 2 front kit.

We had to opportunity to take the car out to Laguna Seca last week(very hard braking track). Unfortunately, it was a wet cold day, but the car was still able to be pushed decently. We started off in the heavy rain, with the traction control on. Because of how slick the track was, and how strong this braking setup is, the TC was very invasive. After the first session, we put the car into pedal-dance mode, and continued testing throughout the day. We didn't encounter any issues, and the setup performed flawlessly.

Notes:
-Brake bias remains the same, with still a slight nudge towards the front
-Modulation with this pad combo and kit, is fantastic.(the harder you push, the harder you stop)
-Crazy cheap consumables cost (rear STi rotors are cheap)
-Actual sheer stopping power is great. In fact, it's easy to out brake cheap street tires
-Street-ability remains as stock, but with more initial power.

The owner of the car is very happy with this new setup. He actually would have been a great candidate for the full front and rear sport performance kit, but since he already has the stage 2 kit, it was a good bias and power test. I think the way Simon and Rafi have focused their designing of these kits around proper bias and power is excellent, and I look forward to testing and selling more products from RR-Racing!

PS. Feel free to post here if you have any questions, I'm not amazing at getting all of my thoughts out into a forum post, so If I missed something you want to know, please let me know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-18-2015), tato.valverde (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #168
Rafi@RR-racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithrider View Post
Rafi
What would you say the % of stopping power is lost with the sport kit vs the stage IV kit

Are you says 5mm shims needed with stocl wheel sizes?

No worries, you will not need any wheel spacers/shims to clear the rear BBK's, there is plenty of clearance even for stock wheels because the caliper is offset in quite a bit.

There is no stopping power lost with the new Sport Performance kit vs. our 2-piece competition kits. The main differences are:

(1) Calipers and pads are smaller w/ the Sport Performance kit. So the Competition kit, with the bigger calipers and pads (same pads as our front kits) will be more durable for more intense track duty. That's not to say that the Sport Performance kit is not great for the track, its just more of a lower cost solution the the brake bias issue.

(2) Smaller 1 piece 315mm rotors vs. 2 piece 330mm rotors. Though still plenty of heat capacity with the Sport Performance kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
Hey Rafi thanks for the update. Not quite what I was hoping for because of the smaller rotors and caliper on the sport rear kit.

Is the reason for this because there is no off the shelf one piece rotor available that would clear the ebrake stuff in 328mm? If that option were on the table it is what I would go for, basically your stage 1 rear but with a one piece rotor for decreased cost.
Yes, you are correct, but 315 vs 330 is not a big difference. All the performance credentials are there with our new Sport Performance 4 piston kit, and its hands down a better option than using STi Brembo calipers in the back.

Rafi
DAEMANO (11-18-2015), Lynxis (11-18-2015)

Closed Thread

Tags
big brake kit, competition, track