follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #15
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Definitely be careful with those 200tw hockey pucks, the cold mornings means they really aren't safe at all, (regardless of how fun they are!!)

I swap my S-04's off once we're consistently below 40, and they are 300tw.
My RE71R's come off once we're below 50, if they even hit freezing they are effectively ruined, and are basically just drifto tires.
For certain. Not to mention that flatspotting your good tires is a real kicker. I learned my lesson a long time ago; I had a 3000gt VR4 with 275/35r18 Falken Azenis tires. Trying to drive aggressively at 35 degrees, even with fatties and awd, I nearly ended up in the ditch at lower speed when I gave it the beans on a corner. They went from tarmac magnets, to crayons with no warning... The car's weight definitely didn't help. It's nice to now drive a car that's not a speeding tank. I'll take the 200whp loss for the enjoyment factor.

I wish Vermont had more driving events. Though I do live next to Lake Champlain; maybe I'll do ice racing
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #16
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
For certain. Not to mention that flatspotting your good tires is a real kicker. I learned my lesson a long time ago; I had a 3000gt VR4 with 275/35r18 Falken Azenis tires. Trying to drive aggressively at 35 degrees, even with fatties and awd, I nearly ended up in the ditch at lower speed when I gave it the beans on a corner. They went from tarmac magnets, to crayons with no warning... The car's weight definitely didn't help. It's nice to now drive a car that's not a speeding tank. I'll take the 200whp loss for the enjoyment factor.

I wish Vermont had more driving events. Though I do live next to Lake Champlain; maybe I'll do ice racing
If you're planning on doing ice racing, save your cooked 200tw's and do some DIY studs. Bolts with some fix a flat makes some pretty wicked ice picks. Just make sure you find a tire shop that will help you before you play that game, and you have spare wheels you don't care about.

Here's a good look at what goes into making a set: http://blog.365racing.net/2013/02/11...-generation-3/

I made a set with my friend who had a 'tired' set of blizzaks. We used similar hardware, but we used roofing tar on the bolt head instead of windshield adhesive, (I like the windshield adhesive idea...) and a really light coating of slime fix a flat to just help the leakage be minimal.

Read his notes: 1.2g ON ICE in an S2K!

As he states, a decent all season, or a stiffer sidewall winter tire is the ideal tire to do this with, but if you already have a set, and want to give it a go for the cost of hardware and time, it's good to go.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #17
TheRichLife

Drives: 18' BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Bringing back an old thread I know.
Spring in coming soon. I live in Plattsburgh but Here’s to hoping an active member on here posts about any upcoming meets or fun runs