follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2023, 08:43 AM   #43
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post

Update ~
ECU is getting checked tomorrow and may have to go the dealership to get completely replaced and reprogrammed. (if anyone is still following.)
Dang, I was hoping the post would say that you had solved the problem.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:06 PM   #44
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

Update ~
ECU is getting checked tomorrow and may have to go the dealership to get completely replaced and reprogrammed. (if anyone is still following.)
Wow. Yes, following for sure. Stay with us.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:02 PM   #45
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Quote:
the PCM isnt even controlling the valve in the front and is only partially giving a signal to the one in the back
WHAT!? Did no one think to actuate the relevant components with a bidirectional scanner before changing anything? Excuse the language but you don't even need a fucking scanner to function test a purge valve, the damn thing will start pulsing by itself once the engine has run for a few moments, just gotta put a vac gauge on it.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:04 PM   #46
Jynx

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Code p0441

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
WHAT!? Did no one think to actuate the relevant components with a bidirectional scanner before changing anything? Excuse the language but you don't even need a fucking scanner to function test a purge valve, the damn thing will start pulsing by itself once the engine has run for a few moments, just gotta put a vac gauge on it.

this was also done. purge valve in the front will not react to anything and yes it has been replaced. we are on the 4th one. same results. the back one was actually leaking out through the electrical plug so no further testing was needed there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:59 AM   #47
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

That's not what "checking" means. If a valve doesn't open, why would changing it again help, did no one even try to find out why it wasn't getting actuated?
Old 01-05-2023, 06:05 AM   #48
Jynx

Code p0441

Quote:
That's not what "checking" means. If a valve doesn't open, why would changing it again help, did no one even try to find out why it wasn't getting actuated?

the ecu isnt giving it power. sorry, I'm not very good with electrical stuff and ECU stuff. that is why i got my shop peeps doing all of that.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:55 AM   #49
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

The ECU does not give power to the purge VSV, it switches the ground side of the circuit.

(from the '17 wiring diagram) It gets power from the EFI(CTRL) fuse through the EFI MAIN1 relay. Key-on engine-off you should have B+ at the red wire of the purge VSV plug. The ECM switches ground on the yel/green wire to actuate the valve.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:39 PM   #50
Jynx

Code p0441

Quote:
The ECU does not give power to the purge VSV, it switches the ground side of the circuit.

(from the '17 wiring diagram) It gets power from the EFI(CTRL) fuse through the EFI MAIN1 relay. Key-on engine-off you should have B+ at the red wire of the purge VSV plug. The ECM switches ground on the yel/green wire to actuate the valve.

weird. the dealership said completely something different and everything is pointing to the ECM. today they checked all the relays and and purge valves and said they all have power and are operational. they just said that the ECM is not telling it what to do which leads to P0441. they are hopping back into it tomorrow and I'll have a definite answer.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:13 PM   #51
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

I mean, I'm not asking for them to parse a diagnostic flowchart, that's way too hard but any child can see what does what in that circuit from even a quick glance.

It's even worse if they've got the factory wiring diagram that is very simple and has very few components per page versus a wiring like prodemand which shoves as many components and wires on a single page as possible.

You're looking for D1 Purge VSV. Down from that is a red wire going to (F), that's hot in run B+. Up from the VSV is the ECM which switches ground. If they want to test a simpler circuit than this they'll have to look at a door ajar switch, damn.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf vsv.pdf (450.8 KB, 110 views)
Old 01-06-2023, 11:30 AM   #52
Jynx

Quote:
I mean, I'm not asking for them to parse a diagnostic flowchart, that's way too hard but any child can see what does what in that circuit from even a quick glance.

It's even worse if they've got the factory wiring diagram that is very simple and has very few components per page versus a wiring like prodemand which shoves as many components and wires on a single page as possible.

You're looking for D1 Purge VSV. Down from that is a red wire going to (F), that's hot in run B+. Up from the VSV is the ECM which switches ground. If they want to test a simpler circuit than this they'll have to look at a door ajar switch, damn.

I'll let them know. thank you for the help even though i cant tell if your being nice or a little harsh but either way it helps and thank you for explaining it. I'm no mechanic here so me trying to explain it to you guys is probably like a 5 year talking.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:15 PM   #53
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I would be willing to bet that the proper testing has been done by the techs and something is being lost in the translation by the time the info makes it here.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:09 PM   #54
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Quote:
I'll let them know. thank you for the help even though i cant tell if your being nice or a little harsh but either way it helps and thank you for explaining it. I'm no mechanic here so me trying to explain it to you guys is probably like a 5 year talking.

I'm both being nice and harsh. Harsh on the "techs" who can't figure this out.

I mean, sometimes things happen, like you order a sensor from napa and it's shit, recheck everything back to front and upside and go through, over and under the diagnostic chart and invent new steps to double and triple check even harder and you come to the same answer and pissed off you order the real one from the dealer at 3x the price and it works perfect, sure, that happens, I've lived that nightmare.

But 4x? Someone needs to tell these clowns they need to diagnose things more than not at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 02:14 PM   #55
Jynx

Quote:
I'm both being nice and harsh. Harsh on the "techs" who can't figure this out.

I mean, sometimes things happen, like you order a sensor from napa and it's shit, recheck everything back to front and upside and go through, over and under the diagnostic chart and invent new steps to double and triple check even harder and you come to the same answer and pissed off you order the real one from the dealer at 3x the price and it works perfect, sure, that happens, I've lived that nightmare.

But 4x? Someone needs to tell these clowns they need to diagnose things more than not at all.

update. evap code is gone now. the little connector that plugs into the purge valve under the intake was faulty. the wires werent all the way into the plug which is why it wasn't getting power. after that was fixed, now the car is throwing a P0700 and a U0122 code. fixed 1 problem and got 2 more lol. any help with these would be much appreciated!

Old 01-10-2023, 06:06 AM   #56
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Quote:
update. evap code is gone now. the little connector that plugs into the purge valve under the intake was faulty. the wires werent all the way into the plug which is why it wasn't getting power. after that was fixed, now the car is throwing a P0700 and a U0122 code. fixed 1 problem and got 2 more lol. any help with these would be much appreciated!

Clear them.

U0122 sometimes trips when a scantool hops on the network, P0700 is the transmission going "wtf dude there's a U0122!"

Mine doesn't do p0700 because it's manual, but half the time I connect a scan tool to mine it'll pop the U0122, even a dealership techstream made it pop. Clear and ignore.