follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2022, 12:00 PM   #1
scottryan
Financial Distress

Drives: 2017 GT86 325WHP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Blitz Big Caliper Kit II

Does anyone here have experience with the Blitz BBK II 6pot Front 4pot Rear set? I'm considering this over brembos because I have an opportunity to get the kit at a fair price and had a question about rotor replacement.

The kit uses a 2pc rotor, would you have to order a new rotor from the manufacturer when you wish to replace, or is the 2pc compatible with ones found domestically in North America and bolts right on to the center piece?

Also was wondering if anyone does run them, what the clearance is like for their wheels that they run and if they could share their wheel specs.

Thank you
scottryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:23 AM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
I would suggest contacting the manufacturer for information on things like replacement parts (cost/availability) AND to see how easy it is to get a response from them. Might be great, might be lacking...but it's one of those things where you can end up with an expensive paper weight.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-04-2022), x808drifter (12-01-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 04:48 AM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Also on some "fair price" as primary pro on suspension or BBK products, i often expect them ensuring just "bigger/shinier/blingier" and mechanical fit on car, less extensive R&D & testing how it really affects handling.
For street i suggest to not waste money on BBK. No gains but waste of money.
For track .. at beginning i advise to try on stock brakes (with brake pads intended for track & better brake fluid), and only after initial phase consider BBK (but i'd probably prefer something from known manufacturers, like Essex APR kits or Willwood's, or kits developed/sold by known tuning shops eg. CSG).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
fryfun

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
but i'd probably prefer something from known manufacturers, like Essex APR kits or Willwood's, or kits developed/sold by known tuning shops eg. CSG).
Blitz is a known manufacturer/tuner like the ones you listed . The main problem is their product support may not be as convenient in the NA cuz they are based in Japan.
fryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fryfun For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (12-06-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 05:34 PM   #5
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Also on some "fair price" as primary pro on suspension or BBK products, i often expect them ensuring just "bigger/shinier/blingier" and mechanical fit on car, less extensive R&D & testing how it really affects handling.
For street i suggest to not waste money on BBK. No gains but waste of money.
For track .. at beginning i advise to try on stock brakes (with brake pads intended for track & better brake fluid), and only after initial phase consider BBK (but i'd probably prefer something from known manufacturers, like Essex APR kits or Willwood's, or kits developed/sold by known tuning shops eg. CSG).

As a long term owner of the Wilwood BBK kit I'd agree with him. I street drive in a spirted fashion (read between the lines) and with some slotted replacement rotors and sports pads I never ran out of brake. In the most agressive and urgent stopping situations it felt like I was at about 90% of the capacity and I drive like a real A-hole. I think with a slightly hotter pad and stainless mesh hoses the car would have been perfect. My car is the middle tier Spec S with the brakes in between base and the factory Brembos. The base model brakes would likely come up short.

The BBK is great, (the Wilwood at least, never tried the Blitz) but those serious braking events now feel like 50% capacity. The balance was unaffected; everything scaled up nice and even, but unless you are hard tracking the car every weekend it's overkill. Nothing wrong with overkill, it's my MO, but don't go big because you think you NEED to; you don't.

+1 for sticking to established brands. Blitz is likely farming out production of these parts and while they may be quality (I don't know if they are) down the road when you need replacement parts you may be out of luck.
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbk, big brake kit, blitz, brake, japan