follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2021, 08:09 PM   #477
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Looking at the new curbing it can see where some more time is found. Turn 1 reminds me of a typical Tilke corner too.

He does what I do in Turn 1 and I hate it and I know it can be done better - I've seen it done better but I haven't executed it yet.

He (and I) do the 3 step boogie: Braking early, then driving through, then braking again... It would be nice to brake for T1 much later, but in a straight line across the track from driver's right through the apex on drivers left back out to drivers right again. That would take you to the very edge of the track via trail braking but you'll be setup perfectly for T2. I have seen this done in front of me a few years back and the difference was several car lengths.

Example:
Red/Green is typical way through T1 - Lime/Orange is the theory.
I have tried T1 a couple ways. I was doing what you have shown for a little while, start braking at the last cone and trail through T1. I have kind of settled on braking just before the last cone and releasing on turn in, then getting back on the brakes again at about apex or just after. I haven't really decided what I like most yet. With aero T1 is kind of hilarious. I can pretty much take it as fast as I want, I just can't slow down enough for T2 if I yeet it a little too hard. 100-108 is about all I can handle and still make turning in for T2.

This was from last weekends TT.

rice_classic (08-04-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #478
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Don't know if anyone saw, but turn2 is having a free track day tomorrow 8/10 for qualified A and B drivers. I would sign up but haven't resolved my over heating issue yet.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #479
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm signed up for OnGrid on October 2nd at the Ridge, and NWAA @ ORP on Sept 20 (Monday).
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:46 AM   #480
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm signed up for OnGrid on October 2nd at the Ridge, and NWAA @ ORP on Sept 20 (Monday).
Same here! We have groups going to both. (Lotus Evora, E92 M3, 911 S)
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #481
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hey gang—been a while! I'm considering picking up the 2022 BRZ as a track toy. Love my ND but no interest in making it a dual-duty car.

May see you out there again soon!
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
bcj (08-17-2021), NoHaveMSG (08-17-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #482
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Drove PIR for the first time in 5 years, and actually had a good time. I finally have data overlay though still trying to figure out how to add brake/throttle input.

Looking for some input on this track as I had only driven it once before. Looking back at the video I feel like it would be better to stay off the apex of T4 4-5 feet to open up T5 and T6 a bit. I do this on my last lap and it looks like the time and speed delta are much better. I also think I am pinching the exit of T12 too much and can run it out way wider. It is really deceiving how much track you have to work with there.

mistople (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #483
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Drove PIR for the first time in 5 years, and actually had a good time. I finally have data overlay though still trying to figure out how to add brake/throttle input.

Looking for some input on this track as I had only driven it once before. Looking back at the video I feel like it would be better to stay off the apex of T4 4-5 feet to open up T5 and T6 a bit. I do this on my last lap and it looks like the time and speed delta are much better. I also think I am pinching the exit of T12 too much and can run it out way wider. It is really deceiving how much track you have to work with there.
You're right on T4-T5 - make it a singular arc. The pavement right next to the red-n-whites is a bit bumpy too. You did this pretty ideally though on one of the laps so I don't see a ton to be gained here. On the opening lap your front end did NOT like the entry and entering T5 with a push it SUCKS! After that though it looked like the front tires started working better. PIR is all about front left tire management - once you give up that tire it totally screws in 5, 7 and 12. 7 and 12 are critical to lap time.

I think you're missing time exiting 12 as you're not tracking out and giving up exit speed. You're also giving up time in the chicane - trail brake ALL the way into the chicane (past the apex of T1) and then setup, then roll into WOT in 3rd gear. Once you carry the speed in, there's no value in 2nd gear and using 3rd gear will allow you pick up more pedal, earlier and safely and skip a shift afterwards. Even in our underpowered/heavy T4 cars, 2nd gear isn't the answer.

Some examples from my recent race video when I'm in open air:

Your car is quick man - looks great. I have a set of used (about 8 or so cycles) 225/40/17 R7s I need to dismount and dispose of but you (or anyone for that matter) wants them, they're yours - but I'm a bit out of your way.
mistople (08-23-2021), NoHaveMSG (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #484
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
You're right on T4-T5 - make it a singular arc. The pavement right next to the red-n-whites is a bit bumpy too. You did this pretty ideally though on one of the laps so I don't see a ton to be gained here. On the opening lap your front end did NOT like the entry and entering T5 with a push it SUCKS! After that though it looked like the front tires started working better. PIR is all about front left tire management - once you give up that tire it totally screws in 5, 7 and 12. 7 and 12 are critical to lap time.

I think you're missing time exiting 12 as you're not tracking out and giving up exit speed. You're also giving up time in the chicane - trail brake ALL the way into the chicane (past the apex of T1) and then setup, then roll into WOT in 3rd gear. Once you carry the speed in, there's no value in 2nd gear and using 3rd gear will allow you pick up more pedal, earlier and safely and skip a shift afterwards. Even in our underpowered/heavy T4 cars, 2nd gear isn't the answer.

Your car is quick man - looks great. I have a set of used (about 8 or so cycles) 225/40/17 R7s I need to dismount and dispose of but you (or anyone for that matter) wants them, they're yours - but I'm a bit out of your way.
Thanks, just what I was looking for. It is much appreciated.

My car is very understeer-y on corners like T5. I am going to try going stiffer on my front sway to see if that solves it, I believe I am getting into the bump stops as the tires are eating away at the fender liners and my car is not very low. I also have a stiffer set of springs I may try.

I was running 3rd into the chicane on most of my sessions, I was trying second during this one to grab data. I will admit, my trail braking is pretty terrible right now and I wasn't trailing into the chicane in any of my sessions. The chicane really felt like a weak area for me. My footwork has gotten really sloppy after only getting to drive the car once last year. I am working on getting it back.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #485
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
See you all out there soon!

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=295
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (08-30-2021), rice_classic (08-26-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 04:00 PM   #486
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Finally nailed T1 at the Ridge

@NoHaveMSG

Finally sorted out the Ridge. Did a 55.4 in qual and did a 55.6 late in the race. Track is definitely faster as our previous best T4 lap times were 57.6 so 2.2 seconds is a big deal and I'm confident that in the right early morning track conditions I can do 54's.

After about 6 or so laps into the race I start committing to T1 and making just 1 braking moment like I mentioned in a previous post. No more 3-step-boogie! Just brake late and carry trailing brake all the way into T2.

I swear this car get's more fun to drive every weekend.

fun note - look for the dude in the stands while I'm going through 6 - has a yellow umbrella and every time I went through the turn I thought a yellow flag was being waived! Super distracting!

Aztec (09-08-2021), bcj (08-30-2021), NoHaveMSG (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #487
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:

Finally sorted out the Ridge. Did a 55.4 in qual and did a 55.6 late in the race. Track is definitely faster as our previous best T4 lap times were 57.6 so 2.2 seconds is a big deal and I'm confident that in the right early morning track conditions I can do 54's.
Those are some spicy times.

I am going to have to try your line on the final section of corners. I have been leaving in 3rd and running really really wide in 15. With 2nd and your tighter line your MPH is about the same at the finish line, and the end of the straight.
rice_classic (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 01:00 AM   #488
Four_wheel_drifts

Drives: Whiteout track car; lava donor
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@rice_classic

Every time I get within a second of you, you shave two or three off! 55? Congrats and damn it!

I’m looking forward to running those take off Hoosiers. The r888r aren’t particularly fast.
Four_wheel_drifts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Four_wheel_drifts For This Useful Post:
rice_classic (08-31-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #489
bokehmon

Drives: 2014 DMG BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Looking for a little direction - I cooked my PMU999's w/ stock calipers when I was out at the ridge last time (1.59's N/A, RS4).

I went a little trigger happy and installed my edelbrock supercharger - what would you guys recommend for pads, and if i should upgrade calipers?

Thanks!
bokehmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #490
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokehmon View Post
Looking for a little direction - I cooked my PMU999's w/ stock calipers when I was out at the ridge last time (1.59's N/A, RS4).

I went a little trigger happy and installed my edelbrock supercharger - what would you guys recommend for pads, and if i should upgrade calipers?

Thanks!
Pads might be a better question for @rice_classic. I run CSG C1's but they are dummy expensive and I will likely try a different setup once I wear them out. As far as going BBK, I would say it depends on how many track days you are doing a year. Initial cost is high, but consumable cost's go down over time. So if you are tracking the car a lot it becomes worth it over the long run. I have over a dozen track days on my current set of front pads running BBK.
bokehmon (09-08-2021)