follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
nwgabrz

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Air Suspension Tank Install in Stock Muffler Location

Hi,

I know some cars have the tank and lines installed underneath the car but I haven't seen any for the 86. Would it be possible to install the tank and compressor and all that is necessary in the space where the stock muffler would typically reside if one were to have an aftermarket catback system?

I have the Tomei 60s and the undercarriage looks like this:

You can see behind where the 4th brake light is that there is space for a possible installation.

The motivation behind it is to retain both trunk spare and the space tire. If my understanding is correct, these components can withstand typical weather conditions, as there are people on other platforms that have undercarriage installations. Perhaps installing a diffuser (like the Verus one) to cover the area to protect it from scratches and flying pebbles from the road would also be an idea.

I don't know of anyone who has done this one 86 platform, as it would be very dependent on the type of catback system one has, that would grant the proper amount of space for the installation.

Does anyone think there would be enough clearance? Or is there an alternative exterior location that would be better suited?

Thanks!
nwgabrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
That is where I saw it mounted before
Old 08-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
nwgabrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That is where I saw it mounted before
You've seen this before?? That's great news since that means it is possible. Would you happen to have an link to a thread or an image of it? I tried to find if anyone has done it before but haven't had any luck.

Appreciate it.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgabrz View Post
You've seen this before?? That's great news since that means it is possible. Would you happen to have an link to a thread or an image of it? I tried to find if anyone has done it before but haven't had any luck.

Appreciate it.
I don't, it was a car I had seen in person years ago. Guy bought it already built and it was on bags with the air tank there. I think his compressor was still in the trunk though.
nwgabrz (08-19-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
nwgabrz

I have found an old post of an install done in the stock muffler location
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=185
Old 09-07-2021, 11:29 PM   #6
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i think the compressor would be best mounted inside the vehicle, just to shield it slightly from the elements, and so it has a chance at drawing in less moist air.

but as long as you can locate a tank that fits, i don't see any reason not to put it under there.