follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #29
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Never used craftsman. I assume it is similar to the "Mastercraft" line at Canadian Tire stores here in Canada. Which carry a lifetime warranty and free tool replacement. In fact you can just go to the store without a receipt and the broken tool and they take a new one off the shelf for you.

That being said I have nothing but good things to say about Mac and Snap-on. Both are my choice for precision tools and heavy duty equipment,
You're right, Craftsman is pretty similar to Mastercraft. The warranty normally works the same way. Here, I normally find the craftsman a little more expensive and CT is almost always easier to find/closer.

I'll third the IR titanium for air tools. I've yet to use anything that works as well for the same money.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #30
maxov

Drives: raven fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
snap on for all precision tool, gray or dynamics most of hand tool, klein for electrical tool, weller for soldering iron

bosch or milwaukee for electrical cordless tool
maxov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #31
Coaster

Drives: Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any ideas on a inexpensive torque wrench that is more durable than Craftman's?
Thanks. I was going to get their 0-150 f/l wrench.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #32
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Any ideas on a inexpensive torque wrench that is more durable than Craftman's?
Thanks. I was going to get their 0-150 f/l wrench.
I wouldn't normally suggest this but Lowe's has a cheapo (Chinese or Taiwanese, can't recall) Cobalt torque wrench that's good for wheels. I'm not sure if it's actually durable but it has a lifetime warranty so...who cares if it is or not? Just go swap it out for a new one when it breaks. Hopefully you have your wheels on at that point.

It's pretty upsetting that almost all these Craftsman tools are made in China now. The stagnant lifetime warranty does make it hard to resist but there's something great about USA made tools. 'MERICA!

I have a decent sized collection of SK wrenches that I really enjoy using but most of the tools in my Kennedy (American made, lifetime warranty) toolbox are Craftsman.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #33
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Torque wrenches: CDI Torque. Maybe not a name you've heard of, but that's the manufacturer/supplier of Snap-On's torque wrenches. They don't overlap too many models for obvious reasons, but the ones that CDI Torque DOES sell are way cheaper than Snap-On while still carrying a warranty and calibration.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #34
AZFA20
Automotive Connoisseur

Drives: too many cars
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Torque wrenches: CDI Torque. Maybe not a name you've heard of, but that's the manufacturer/supplier of Snap-On's torque wrenches. They don't overlap too many models for obvious reasons, but the ones that CDI Torque DOES sell are way cheaper than Snap-On while still carrying a warranty and calibration.
Ah yes forgot CDI, good call! I have one of their 1/4" in/lb tq wrenches. I like it a lot actually. All my other tq wrenches are Snap-on and one Matco.

Some of the new electronic Snap-ons are saaaaweeeet!!! Especially when then have the tq-to-yield integrated. SOOOOO much more convenient than messing with with a yield guage.
AZFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #35
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hate to say it, but I got a real nice 300+ set of tools from Lowe's, the Kobalt brand. Haven't failed me yet. I was also offered free replacement on anything that I broke. I can;t say how much it cost me, because it just outright had the wrong sticker on it (day after Christmas). Must have been put back and labeled wrong. They gave me the sticker price anyways.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #36
joshH

Drives: 13 BRZ Red, 08 WRX STI
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I would also recommend Precision Instruments for torque wrenches. They were the manufacturer for many of Snap-On's torque wrenches as well and I believe some are still rebranded for Snap-On. I have 2 PI split beam click torque wrenches and 1 PI micrometer click torque wrench and they are very nice. The split beam torque wrenches are very handy - they can be set very quickly and do not require setting to the lowest torque setting after use.
joshH is offline   Reply With Quote