follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #113
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Or, you can press the recirculate button (so that it lights up) and it will close off the air going through the vents.
LOL Ya. That actually may be what I was thinking of! Was sitting here going "just how the hell do I do that?".
Old 02-21-2017, 09:48 PM   #114
AjaxKing

Drives: Toyota FR-S Monogram Whiteout Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Start with changing the cabin air filter. If that doesn't do it then check the windshield vents.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24062
I took it out and smacked it in the trash can, and, dog hair, cat hair and tons of white dust (?) came out - for about 5 minutes of shaking and smacking. This and a good car wash and air intake cleaning took care of it. Thanks for the info and the link.

Also, has anyone purchased a K&N washable filter for the cabin with any success?

Quote:
Or, you can press the recirculate button (so that it lights up) and it will close off the air going through the vents.
...I've noticed even after turning on the recirculate button, (green light,) it goes off by itself, if I cycle through the floor, vents, and the defroster settings a few times. Anyone else have this issue?
AjaxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #115
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjaxKing View Post
I took it out and smacked it in the trash can, and, dog hair, cat hair and tons of white dust (?) came out - for about 5 minutes of shaking and smacking. This and a good car wash and air intake cleaning took care of it. Thanks for the info and the link.

Also, has anyone purchased a K&N washable filter for the cabin with any success?

...I've noticed even after turning on the recirculate button, (green light,) it goes off by itself, if I cycle through the floor, vents, and the defroster settings a few times. Anyone else have this issue?
You should just buy a brand new one from the dealership or online, they're cheap.

Weird, mine only turns off if I hit the "OFF" button.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
AjaxKing (03-06-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #116
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Sounds like this may be a few guys' first car...
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
AjaxKing (03-06-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #117
Tcoat

Quote:

That "white dust" is probably at least 60% dead skin cells. We shed them all the time that they make up a good portion of the "dust" found in any enclosed space where people spend a pile of time.

It is just a wonky setup there isn't a problem with it.
AjaxKing (03-06-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #118
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

I believe the defroster setting does this, as it wants to pull in drier outside air instead of recirculating moist air to help clear the windows. At the same time, it kicks on the A/C compressor.
AjaxKing (03-06-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #119
AjaxKing

Quote:
You should just buy a brand new one from the dealership or online, they're cheap.

Weird, mine only turns off if I hit the "OFF" button.
Thanks. And, the button went off by itself again this morning, right after I hit defroster off. It only happens once in a while, when it's about 40 degrees outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Sounds like this may be a few guys' first car...
This is the 12th car that I've owned, solely. Never really noticed an in-cabin filter of any type in any other car, but I'm glad it's there on this one, to catch all those dead skin cells.

Quote:
That "white dust" is probably at least 60% dead skin cells. We shed them all the time that they make up a good portion of the "dust" found in any enclosed space where people spend a pile of time.

It is just a wonky setup there isn't a problem with it.
mmmhmmm. No, no problem, easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
I believe the defroster setting does this, as it wants to pull in drier outside air instead of recirculating moist air to help clear the windows. At the same time, it kicks on the A/C compressor.
Cool features I didn't know I needed. This reminds me of the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Turn signals in the headliner - behind the rear seats that you can see in the rear-view mirror - and on the end of the hood, and on the dash. Just in case you fall asleep in the couch-like cushions as you float down the road.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #120
Tcoat

Quote:

Cool features I didn't know I needed. This reminds me of the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Turn signals in the headliner - behind the rear seats that you can see in the rear-view mirror - and on the end of the hood, and on the dash. Just in case you fall asleep in the couch-like cushions as you float down the road.
All Caddies, Buicks and Lincolns should have these! A small electric shock through the seat if you drive more than 1/4 mile with your blinker on would probably be a good idea as well.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #121
AjaxKing

Quote:
All Caddies, Buicks and Lincolns should have these! A small electric shock through the seat if you drive more than 1/4 mile with your blinker on would probably be a good idea as well.
...my steering wheel blocks the view on the frs, and the clicking sound is muted by the stereo.

Last edited by AjaxKing; 03-06-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #122
SubyRS1

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS-One
Heated air coming through the vents with the fan on, NOT set to recirculate and temp setting to Low is not normal. No car I have ever owned or currently own has ever done this Except for my 2015 FRS One. Interior venting or conditioned air does not come from under the hood, where there are toxic fumes from heated paint, rubber, gas and oils.

I previously owned an early model 2013 BRZ Premium which did not exhibit this heating problem either. On a cool day with the vent-only fan on you should get outside ambient air, on ANY car, not preheated air.

The only equipment functioning difference I see between my 2013 BRZ Pre and my 2015 FRS One is that when the car is first started and the fan turned ON, the FRS defaults to recirculation setting every time, whereas my BZR did not. I had to turn recirculation on manually on the BRZ, which is fine because that is only used with Air conditioning anyway because it is more efficient that way.

I suspect a defect in the heater ducting linkage not fully closing the flap, or the electronics that operate that.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #123
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyRS1 View Post
Heated air coming through the vents with the fan on, NOT set to recirculate and temp setting to Low is not normal. No car I have ever owned or currently own has ever done this Except for my 2015 FRS One. Interior venting or conditioned air does not come from under the hood, where there are toxic fumes from heated paint, rubber, gas and oils.

I previously owned an early model 2013 BRZ Premium which did not exhibit this heating problem either. On a cool day with the vent-only fan on you should get outside ambient air, on ANY car, not preheated air.

The only equipment functioning difference I see between my 2013 BRZ Pre and my 2015 FRS One is that when the car is first started and the fan turned ON, the FRS defaults to recirculation setting every time, whereas my BZR did not. I had to turn recirculation on manually on the BRZ, which is fine because that is only used with Air conditioning anyway because it is more efficient that way.

I suspect a defect in the heater ducting linkage not fully closing the flap, or the electronics that operate that.
No it is not "normal" for most cars but it is normal for these.
The auto HVAC in some models does not seem to have the same conditions as the FRS did but all FRSs do the same thing so it isn't something broken just a poor design. It is one thing I don't miss from the old FRS.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #124
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
No it is not "normal" for most cars but it is normal for these.
The auto HVAC in some models does not seem to have the same conditions as the FRS did but all FRSs do the same thing so it isn't something broken just a poor design. It is one thing I don't miss from the old FRS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyRS1 View Post

It's normal on my 19 CX-5 as well, they don't default to close on a lot of cars when off or with a/c off
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-08-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #125
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
If it really bothers you, disconnect the heater lines in teh engine bay and splice them together for the summer. It's the constant coolant flow through the heater core that does it. I found it to be horrible in the summer months because I don't use AC. Now I don't use AC or heat lol

It can be reversed in minutes though
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #126
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
If it really bothers you, disconnect the heater lines in teh engine bay and splice them together for the summer. It's the constant coolant flow through the heater core that does it. I found it to be horrible in the summer months because I don't use AC. Now I don't use AC or heat lol

It can be reversed in minutes though
Or... Just keep the car on recirculate so outside air isn't being forced through the heater core and into the cabin. No it will not stay on that setting but pushing a button after starting the car is not exactly difficult.