follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #29
LotsaMiles

Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I love it. I find it plenty comfortable. It is one of the quietest cars I have had (most were very old). It has just the right amount of gadgets to make it a good highway cruiser even though that wasn't it's primary purpose when designed. There is really no car that can make a 3 hour each direction commute enjoyable but at least this takes some of the edge off it.
I like your calling out the "right amount of gadgets". My first "sports car" was a Vega GT with BF Goodrich Radial TA's. 60 series. That was replaced with an Opel GT.

This car harkens back to the Opel and even that time period. I even got it with the standard radio to avoid the touch screen. But I LOVE the bluetooth and USB port. Other than that, it's got a great minimalist cockpit feel.

I do think it's rather loud though. Especially when I'm carrying my bass and have the back seat down. But since I VERY rarely have a passenger, it's pretty irrelevant.
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LotsaMiles For This Useful Post:
Tristor (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsaMiles View Post
I like your calling out the "right amount of gadgets". My first "sports car" was a Vega GT with BF Goodrich Radial TA's. 60 series. That was replaced with an Opel GT.

This car harkens back to the Opel and even that time period. I even got it with the standard radio to avoid the touch screen. But I LOVE the bluetooth and USB port. Other than that, it's got a great minimalist cockpit feel.

I do think it's rather loud though. Especially when I'm carrying my bass and have the back seat down. But since I VERY rarely have a passenger, it's pretty irrelevant.
LOL Well with many my cars anything that didn't have vacuum powered windshield wipers, a manual choke and more than an AM radio was well equipped. The FRS is also almost silent in comparison.
Attached Images

eastendraceshop (08-02-2019), korhun (11-28-2019), soundman98 (07-30-2019), Tristor (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 10:09 PM   #31
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep and will until one of us moves.
funny, my neighbor said the same thing for the people that lived here before i did. he still picks up my mail, moves the trash cans, and does some of the landscaping, even though i keep telling him i can handle those things...
Old 07-31-2019, 09:58 PM   #32
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
I've had my 86 almost a year now. When I got it, first thing I did (as I do with all new cars) was to thoroughly wash, clay bar, prep, and seal the paint. I used wolfgang sealant from autogeek as I have on my past several cars. I wash my cars every week or two for the most part with a very anal process to ensure no scratches and top it off with a spray wax. Car is always garaged and in southern california away from the ocean. While sometimes I will reapply sealant soon, this has always kept paint in really good shape for up to a year. Normally when I redo the process, I find it doesn't really need the clay bar.

This car has totally broken that. The paint is so bumpy with contaminants that no washing will make it feel smooth (i'm thinking it will take some seriously clay barring to remove) and it is covered in light surface marks from bugs, birds, trees, and water spots. If I didn't have so much confidence in the wolfgang sealant from so many prior applications successes and that fact that it has remained very shiny and beading water, I'd think it had no paint protection at all for a year. Nothing serious and noticeable to anyone but myself and nothing that shouldn't buff out with a light pre sealant polish, but I guess I am just shocked that it needs anything at all considering my process has worked great on every other cars paint.

I'd heard the paint on these cars was not very great, but didn't give it too much thought as I take such good care of my cars that I never have issues. Anyone else particular about their paint care that has had one of these a long time and can tell me what I should expect in future years? Maybe if I have a heads up I won't be as upset when it starts showing more wear than I'd like. Also open to other sealant suggestions if someone has had good success with something else on our paint.
These cars have paint? News to me - I thought it was a thin film of tissue paper lightly glued onto the aluminum.

theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theadmiral976 For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (08-01-2019), Dadhawk (08-01-2019), Impureclient (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:36 PM   #33
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Yeap, new water based paint is shit, the paint on my 2015 STI was same, it chipped if you looked hard at it, hell, it chipped from hitting some bugs.

Water based paint is good for the environment, and OK for you.
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #34
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Yeap, new water based paint is shit, the paint on my 2015 STI was same, it chipped if you looked hard at it, hell, it chipped from hitting some bugs.

Water based paint is good for the environment, and OK for you.
There are some really good acrylic (water based) paints out there now. They just need to be applied properly. Plants still trying to use the same process as solvent based will continue to have hard, brittle, easy to chip results.
As much as it pains me to say it Ford has done a really good job in upgrading their processes and have a good durable surface using almost identical products.
DaBoBo21 (08-01-2019), Tristor (08-03-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #35
LotsaMiles

Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL Well with many my cars anything that didn't have vacuum powered windshield wipers, a manual choke and more than an AM radio was well equipped. The FRS is also almost silent in comparison.
Those Vacuum wipers suuuuuuucked. And I lived in Seattle! I had to take my foot off the gas to get the wipers to work sometimes.
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LotsaMiles For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-01-2019), Tcoat (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsaMiles View Post
Those Vacuum wipers suuuuuuucked. And I lived in Seattle! I had to take my foot off the gas to get the wipers to work sometimes.
Then they would go like hell and it was only a matter of time before one or the other flew off into space. I probably have at least one that is still in low orbit.
LotsaMiles (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #37
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pics so you can see how awful my paint is...

Note: I don't think any of the insigificant imperfections are visible unless seen with human eye and you are within < 3 inches of the paint. In classic car terms, my car is a 3 incher.
Attached Images

xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #38
AJ32162

Drives: 2019 BRZ with Performance Package
Quote:

Note: I don't think any of the insigificant imperfections are visible unless seen with human eye and you are within < 3 inches of the paint. In classic car terms, my car is a 3 incher.
My car and I are both 8 1/2 inchers.
AJ32162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:39 AM   #39
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Just wait until you get on the interstate...using your scale my car is a 10 footer. I have chips on my hood that look like aluminum Doritos.
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #40
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by theadmiral976 View Post
Just wait until you get on the interstate...using your scale my car is a 10 footer. I have chips on my hood that look like aluminum Doritos.
Hearing things like that give me comfort lol Since mine is white, the chips really stand out. A bunch of little black dots on the front. There’s only a couple on the hood but for some reason, there’s a handful on the rear fenders. I’ve gotten to the point of wanting to replace the front bumper, but there’s no point if it’s going to look like this again in a month.
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #41
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Garage
The paint this car is shit. Regardless of the rhyme or reason, it is still crap. Many other car manufacturers manage to build cars with good quality paint. Ever notice why a BMW, Mercedes, VW, most American cars has better paint and how they are not full of swirl marks after 6 months like these cars? Cause the paint is much better quality. Nissan and Toyota and some others have never been known for great quality paint.

The paint finish on my car chips easily, scratches easily, fades easily, etc., much more than on other cars. Best solution is to maintain, keep clean, and wax/ceramic. Don't leave car in sun when possible and don't look at it too much or it will fade.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrhayes1 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-11-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #42
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post
The paint this car is shit. Regardless of the rhyme or reason, it is still crap. Many other car manufacturers manage to build cars with good quality paint. Ever notice why a BMW, Mercedes, VW, most American cars has better paint and how they are not full of swirl marks after 6 months like these cars? Cause the paint is much better quality.

The paint on my 2013 BRZ is no worse than the paint on my 2011 BMW. They both chip and swirl easily.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote