follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #29
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I also used to believe in "only buy used". But the timing was right and there was a deal on a 2019 Sport Tech RS (Performance Pack) which I couldn't turn down. No regrets and I have a brand new car that hasn't been defiled by anyone else.
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N_Raged For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #30
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
How about this new Toyota?
I wonder if they sell just the engine? 268 hp 3 cylinder?
I think that would fit nicely under my hood.
https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/gr-hot-hatch/
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #31
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The small improvements do make it a better car stock.
Even driving a 2016 on the track yesterday, it was interesting much fresher it felt compared to my 2013. Even before the refresh, I think Toyota/Subaru were making a bunch of small changes behind the scenes. I might have to pick up a 2017+ later on.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
JesseG (06-22-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #32
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Those add-on prices feel absurd in comparison to a PP BRZ. Don’t get me wrong, I love the updated interior/features of an 86 GT in comparison to my previous 2014 FRS but I paid 26k out the door for my 2018 GT.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #33
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Exactly. The thing is that so many say never buy new. No pieces to pick up if no new ones sold. The manufacturers do not base new models on used car sales. They don’t give a shit what happens after new. So let’s all just buy used and let them decide there is no market. You are not being smart buy telling everybody to by used when you look at the big picture. In fact it is a down right stupid ideal to try to meet.
Read the last sentence of my post
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #34
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Read the last sentence of my post
Doesn’t change that there have to people that “want” new to be able to have used. You should be thanking those that buy new not discouraging it and seemingly looking down on the fools taking depreciation.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #35
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Doesn’t change that there have to people that “want” new to be able to have used. You should be thanking those that buy new not discouraging it and seemingly looking down on the fools taking depreciation.
I’m thanking the ones that buy new and barely drive it the sell it to me for half.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #36
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
I bought my 04 WRX and 16 BRZ new, because I could easily afford it. These are not expensive cars. But having owned them for years now, I would be fine if I had bought used. My next project will be used, let the other guy take the depreciation hit.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-20-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #37
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I bought my 04 WRX and 16 BRZ new, because I could easily afford it. These are not expensive cars. But having owned them for years now, I would be fine if I had bought used. My next project will be used, let the other guy take the depreciation hit.
Yeah I typically buy new for cars I intend to keep a long time. I bought my FR-S new in 2012 and still have it today. No desire to sell it. I also bought my GTI new in 2011 and kept it 9 yrs before selling. No regrets purchasing either car new.

Every once in a while though, a used car comes along that's really difficult to pass up. For us, it was a 2019 CPO Tiguan with 2,900 miles and a warranty until 2026. Saved $4000 over what a new one would typically sell for and was able to get 0 down/0% APR due to it being CPO. The final straw was VW reduced the warranty to 3y/36k for 2020 models. The deal was too good to pass up even though we were looking to buy new. Sometimes I wonder why the previous owner broke the lease early and returned it with so little mileage, but there could be any number of reasons for that. For now, we're loving the new (to us) car and the cost savings!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #38
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Yeah I typically buy new for cars I intend to keep a long time. I bought my FR-S new in 2012 and still have it today. No desire to sell it. I also bought my GTI new in 2011 and kept it 9 yrs before selling. No regrets purchasing either car new.

Every once in a while though, a used car comes along that's really difficult to pass up. For us, it was a 2019 CPO Tiguan with 2,900 miles and a warranty until 2026. Saved $4000 over what a new one would typically sell for and was able to get 0 down/0% APR due to it being CPO. The final straw was VW reduced the warranty to 3y/36k for 2020 models. The deal was too good to pass up even though we were looking to buy new. Sometimes I wonder why the previous owner broke the lease early and returned it with so little mileage, but there could be any number of reasons for that. For now, we're loving the new (to us) car and the cost savings!
There are deals out there. A few months ago my wife got a CPO 2017 Lexus IS300 with 35k miles, but the car was immaculate, practically brand new. I don’t think anyone sat in it but the driver. No wear anywhere. She fell in love with it. It was 25k used with warranty. The sticker was 42k, we laughed. Would never spend that for this car, even though it is really nice.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #39
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
There are deals out there. A few months ago my wife got a CPO 2017 Lexus IS300 with 35k miles, but the car was immaculate, practically brand new. I don’t think anyone sat in it but the driver. No wear anywhere. She fell in love with it. It was 25k used with warranty. The sticker was 42k, we laughed. Would never spend that for this car, even though it is really nice.
Lexus is definitely a brand I would buy used without hesitation. They've got such a strong reputation for reliability and quality. Surprised that it sold for so cheap given their strong resale value, especially being CPO. I'd definitely have a hard time passing on a car like that too if I was in the market, even if I was originally intending to buy new.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 06-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #40
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Lexus is definitely a brand I would buy used without hesitation. They've got such a strong reputation for reliability and quality. Surprised that it sold for so cheap given their strong resale value, especially being CPO. I'd definitely have a hard time passing on a car like that too if I was in the market, even if I was originally intending to buy new.
We sat in the new one and it was almost an identical car and the sticker was 44k, maybe some new tech but nothing worthwhile, except a bigger screen. So 19k for a bigger screen, crazy.

I have to say though, when you look for off lease or used it really depends on the specific car. We looked at two others, one that had the heated steering wheel which my wife wanted, but the car was in much worse condition and was 1k more.

I have to say you need to be more careful with a sports car as the previous owner may have thrashed the car.

Clearly the previous owner of our IS300 was a neat an clean person. I mean the trunk looked like it was never used, no scratches and still smelled good. Looked brand new. They said that they did not have a chance to detail it, not sure I believe them, but the car was perfect. It was a highway car too because of some rock chips on the lower front.
If I knew who owned this car before me, I would look to purchase their next car.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #41
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL at all the “buy used” dudes. You do realize that somebody has to buy new ones for there to be used right? Anybody that screams only buy used at everybody can just shut the hell up when the next model comes out and it isn’t what you like. You forfeited your right to complain when all you buy is used.
For the last 25 years, almost all the cars I've bought have ended up being new. Every time I've gone out to buy a car (which happens insanely often, I've owned well over 100 in almost 50 years of driving), I start out looking for a used car to 'save money' and the whole proverbial 'let someone else take the initial depreciation hit'.

It's rarely worked out that way. The only 2 cars I've bought used in the last 25 years were a S2000 and RX8, because they didn't make them anymore. Every other time, when I've gone to look at used cars, I've found that most of the ones I've seen have had issues. Like, accident damage, or no (or questionable) maintenance history, or I had the feeling they were driven very hard (all too common for sports/sporty cars).

The former leased cars I've seen were especially problematic. It makes sense. If someone is leasing a car for 2 or 3 years and then gives it back, they're usually not exactly motivated to take good care of it. Why spend the money on oil changes and other maintenance if you're just going to give it back? For that matter, why be careful about how you break it in or drive it if you're just going to 'give it back to the dealer'? Beat on it, drive the crap out of it, it'll hold together for the warranty period, and then it's someone else's problem.

I know I'm picky. Much pickier than most people when it comes to condition. But the truly good, well-taken care of, properly broken-in, used cars out there seem to be far and few between. The ones I find have usually been priced at enough of a premium that it wasn't enough of a modest 'savings' vs a new car to make it worthwhile for me to not get the color and options I really want. It's been worth it to spend more to get exactly the color and other features I want (plus the peace of mind of knowing I broke it in, I take care of it, and I don't abuse it).

There's a cost to driving any car (unless you're lucky enough to fall into one of those rare situations of an appreciating classic). With a used car there's less 'depreciation', but possibly more maintenance and repair costs, and the intangible cost of perhaps not getting the exact color and other options you might want. With a new car there is more depreciation but also less worry about repairs, and more enjoyment (at least for me) of getting exactly you want.

Like others have said, these are inexpensive cars. We're not talking six figure Ger-mahn brag-mobiles. Small, affordable, RWD, manual transmission sports/sporty cars are a rare and dying breed. Buy what you like, used or new, whatever works for you and your wallet, and enjoy it.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (06-24-2020), Tcoat (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #42
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
For the last 25 years, almost all the cars I've bought have ended up being new. Every time I've gone out to buy a car (which happens insanely often, I've owned well over 100 in almost 50 years of driving), I start out looking for a used car to 'save money' and the whole proverbial 'let someone else take the initial depreciation hit'.

It's rarely worked out that way. The only 2 cars I've bought used in the last 25 years were a S2000 and RX8, because they didn't make them anymore. Every other time, when I've gone to look at used cars, I've found that most of the ones I've seen have had issues. Like, accident damage, or no (or questionable) maintenance history, or I had the feeling they were driven very hard (all too common for sports/sporty cars).

The former leased cars I've seen were especially problematic. It makes sense. If someone is leasing a car for 2 or 3 years and then gives it back, they're usually not exactly motivated to take good care of it. Why spend the money on oil changes and other maintenance if you're just going to give it back? For that matter, why be careful about how you break it in or drive it if you're just going to 'give it back to the dealer'? Beat on it, drive the crap out of it, it'll hold together for the warranty period, and then it's someone else's problem.

I know I'm picky. Much pickier than most people when it comes to condition. But the truly good, well-taken care of, properly broken-in, used cars out there seem to be far and few between. The ones I find have usually been priced at enough of a premium that it wasn't enough of a modest 'savings' vs a new car to make it worthwhile for me to not get the color and options I really want. It's been worth it to spend more to get exactly the color and other features I want (plus the peace of mind of knowing I broke it in, I take care of it, and I don't abuse it).

There's a cost to driving any car (unless you're lucky enough to fall into one of those rare situations of an appreciating classic). With a used car there's less 'depreciation', but possibly more maintenance and repair costs, and the intangible cost of perhaps not getting the exact color and other options you might want. With a new car there is more depreciation but also less worry about repairs, and more enjoyment (at least for me) of getting exactly you want.

Like others have said, these are inexpensive cars. We're not talking six figure Ger-mahn brag-mobiles. Small, affordable, RWD, manual transmission sports/sporty cars are a rare and dying breed. Buy what you like, used or new, whatever works for you and your wallet, and enjoy it.
I tend to agree, but this is precisely why you need to find the right car and inspect it well. Also depends on what brand.

I will not be buying any used Hyundai’s , but took a used Acura TL from 31k to 197k, sold it to a friend, she’s still running. So you gotta pick the right car.

Surprisingly , our little cars are pretty reliable. So a used one might not be such a bad thing. Just inspect it well. Signs of abuse are easy to see.