follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2020, 12:55 AM   #1
antoniogghaleb

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Edelbrock Supercharger Supporting Mods

I've got a bone stock 2014 BRZ and I really want to get the Edelbrock E-force supercharger with the tune option and a 3.00in pulley to replace the 3.25in pulley that comes with the kit. I know you can't just install the supercharger and call it a day, as in you have to add supporting mods like an oil cooler, etc. I plan on using the car as a daily to get to work, so I would still want some mileage, but will track the car every once in a while with friends. What exactly should I purchase along with the supercharger?
antoniogghaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:58 AM   #2
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Depends what is your budget?
Oil cooler mounted behind fog light and a catch can for engine reliability if you’re pushing it hard.
You will eventually need a clutch
You will need wheels/tires to actually put the power to the ground
You will need upgraded brakes if tracking
You will want something like a scangauge to monitor temps and afr.
Oil pressure gauge is highly recommended for tracking
Hood vents are good at keeping overall temps down
You might want/need an upgraded radiator depending on track temps
Get Flex fuel with E85 for sure if available, or WMI is a decent substitute.

It’s a never ending list depending on budget really.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
For daily driving, oil cooler hasn't been necessary for me. Keeping in mind i dont live in a super hot climate. I also dont beat the shit out of the car at every stop light or redline it all the time. Monitor oil temps, timing, IAM, coolant, knock etc with the ecutek dongle and app on iphone though the obdlink products work ok too just a bit more finicky with bluetooth.

For reliability i would stick with the stock pulley for sure unless you want to tempt fate even more.

Havent needed any crazy tires or anything, just 225/45/17, PS4S michelins. Traction has been more than enough, at least with the stock header.

A good tuner is a must for smooth driveability as well as reliability.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
86TOYO2k17

@decap
He stated he is going to track the car, not just DD
And is going to use the smaller pulley.
225 PS4S are ten times grippier than stock 215 primacys
And I’m assuming you aren’t on the smaller pulley so even less traction issues? And coming out of a sub 45mph turn then going WOT in 2nd you have full traction? especially with smaller pulley?

Ecutek can monitor just about everything but oil pressure (which is highly recommended for tracking) But it’s also a pain to setup every time for a DD IMO scan gauge set it and forget it. IAM/knock would be good to have when on the track.

Like a said earlier it all comes down to budget. As well as car use, and what is an acceptable risk you are willing to take.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
antoniogghaleb

I would want to stick to about 10k with the mods including the supercharger. With that budget, what would you recommend? Thanks
Old 04-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniogghaleb View Post
I would want to stick to about 10k with the mods including the supercharger. With that budget, what would you recommend? Thanks
You buying kit used or new?
DIY install or shop install?
Buy the tune it yourself kit then purchase a tune/ecutek bundle from a reputable tuning shop, xero-limit, delicious tuning, or csg.
You will want a delicious d-box

Do you have access to E85?

Oil cooler, catch can, some way to read oil / coolant temps and afr, like scangauge II or ecutek connect if you want to hook up your phone every time.
you could get some sticky 225 tires on stock wheels to save money, but i feel like you will wish you had some 17x9, or 18x9 wheels with 245 tires.
This will pretty much eat up your entire budget unless you purchase used and install yourself. Expect to save at least 1k for DIY and 1k for used which will more than pay for those wheels.
It’s pretty much impossible to have reliable FI for tracking for 10k, for just a DD its much easier/cheaper. But this setup should be good for a few laps before you need to cooldown.

Last edited by 86TOYO2k17; 04-26-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #7
antoniogghaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
You buying kit used or new?
DIY install or shop install?
Buy the tune it yourself kit then purchase a tune/ecutek bundle from a reputable tuning shop, xero-limit, delicious tuning, or csg.
You will want a delicious d-box

Do you have access to E85?

Oil cooler, catch can, some way to read oil / coolant temps and afr, like scangauge II or ecutek connect if you want to hook up your phone every time.
you could get some sticky 225 tires on stock wheels to save money, but i feel like you will wish you had some 17x9, or 18x9 wheels with 245 tires.
This will pretty much eat up your entire budget unless you purchase used and install yourself. Expect to save at least 1k for DIY and 1k for used which will more than pay for those wheels.
It’s pretty much impossible to have reliable FI for tracking for 10k, for just a DD its much easier/cheaper. But this setup should be good for a few laps before you need to cooldown.

I unfortunately do not have access to E85 where I live and I also am planning on buying the kit new and installing it with a buddy who installed one on his frs last summer. And tracking the car would only happen 3-4 times a year, so daily driving reliability would definitely be my #1 priority. I was also told that I would need to get bigger injectors and a better fuel pump . What do you think I should put my money into if daily driving is the number one thing on my list? Sorry if I'm being a little stubborn I am just not the most inclined with these things.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
Side

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Paging @CSG Mike.

As far as I'm aware from the research I've been doing myself, all you really need for a daily driver with the occasional track day is an oil cooler. Especially if you're using the canned tune from Edelbrock.

If you get it dyno tuned or e-tuned, probably better brakes and tires to put the power down.

I'm not sure about catch can, I've seen people go without it and daily drive just fine.
Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
I unfortunately do not have access to E85 where I live and I also am planning on buying the kit new and installing it with a buddy who installed one on his frs last summer. And tracking the car would only happen 3-4 times a year, so daily driving reliability would definitely be my #1 priority. I was also told that I would need to get bigger injectors and a better fuel pump . What do you think I should put my money into if daily driving is the number one thing on my list? Sorry if I'm being a little stubborn I am just not the most inclined with these things.
The second half of my last post is what you should do. And the money you saved installing yourself should allow you to get all of the above with some new wheels.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #10
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side View Post
Paging @CSG Mike.

As far as I'm aware from the research I've been doing myself, all you really need for a daily driver with the occasional track day is an oil cooler. Especially if you're using the canned tune from Edelbrock.

If you get it dyno tuned or e-tuned, probably better brakes and tires to put the power down.

I'm not sure about catch can, I've seen people go without it and daily drive just fine.
He stated he is going down a size in pulley so more power, heat, stress, and not the canned tune. Catch can is cheap insurance. How it’s driven also is a big factor. You benefit from a catch can when you are making boost, if you just casually cruise all day at partial throttle never hitting boost you don’t benefit from the catch can, but why go FI if you don’t want to hit boost all the time. It’s almost like making 500whp on the stock engine once on a dyno and then driving 50k miles never going above 10% throttle never actually using that power and claim the stock block can reliably make 500whp, I’ve daily driven it for 50k miles.

For a daily driver ONLY you can get away with the bare minimum, depending on how you drive.

However if this is his DD and he is tracking 3-4 a year he probably doesn’t want his car to break down on the track and not be able to drive to work the next day. I would definitely over build a weekend warrior car.

if it was a track only car and it breaks oh well, if its a DD only and never seeing the track than the risk is low, but if its his DD and he wants to track his DD 3-4 times a year it better be overly built.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've got a bone stock 2014 BRZ and I really want to get the Edelbrock E-force supercharger with the tune option and a 3.00in pulley to replace the 3.25in pulley that comes with the kit. I know you can't just install the supercharger and call it a day, as in you have to add supporting mods like an oil cooler, etc. I plan on using the car as a daily to get to work, so I would still want some mileage, but will track the car every once in a while with friends. What exactly should I purchase along with the supercharger?
Quote:
oil cooler. hood vents. upgraded radiator. upgraded fans. upgraded brakes and/or brake pads. nice fluids all around. Appropriate safety equipment.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #12
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
oil cooler. hood vents. upgraded radiator. upgraded fans. upgraded brakes and/or brake pads. nice fluids all around. Appropriate safety equipment.
What purpose do hood vents serve? Do they help keep the compressors temperature down?
Old 04-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #13
antoniogghaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
He stated he is going down a size in pulley so more power, heat, stress, and not the canned tune..
In all honesty, do you think the smaller pulley is worth getting? It's only 50 bucks but with the concerns you mentioned, do you think I should get it?
Old 04-26-2020, 11:35 PM   #14
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
In all honesty, do you think the smaller pulley is worth getting? It's only 50 bucks but with the concerns you mentioned, do you think I should get it?
It’s definitely more fun. You could use the bigger pulley first, get tuned for it and see how it feels, then get the smaller pulley get another retune for that pulley (subsequent tunes from a tuner once you have one are pretty cheap) and then use the smaller pulley for DD and larger pulley for track. Just flash back and forth per each pulley, or you can probably have the tuner have it so you can switch tunes on the fly with the cruise control toggle. Or some people will even use the smaller pulley tune with the bigger pulley on the track (just don’t do vice versa) since the main difference the smaller pulley tune will most likely have less timing and more fuel compared to larger pulley so on the track it’ll actually be safer, just down on power.

Another option to consider is get what you can now for a good DD setup but with the realization that it probably won’t be enough for reliably doing even occasional 3-4x year tracking, but in the future you can save up for the supporting mods and add them on later to be able to track it without too much concern. But your all in cost will really be closer to 15k when said and done.