follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
AC line has a hole in it due to the turbos intercooler piping rubbing on it. AC gauge shows 0 PSI. No Coolant pressure at all. Problem found, ordering a new line today.
Maybe a thermal or pressure cut on these. Unusual for it to not at least attempt to run. At least you found the problem and root cause.
Zentec (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #44
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Umm pretty much every AC system ever made has a low pressure switch that will stop the compressor when the refrigerant pressure gets too low to save the pump. There is usually also an evaporator temp switch that will also shut the system down if the evaporator freezes.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silvermk2 For This Useful Post:
rb6freak (09-03-2017), Tcoat (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermk2 View Post
Umm pretty much every AC system ever made has a low pressure switch that will stop the compressor when the refrigerant pressure gets too low to save the pump. There is usually also an evaporator temp switch that will also shut the system down if the evaporator freezes.
Hmmm I have never had one do that. Oh well I learned something anyway.
Ultramaroon (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #46
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6freak View Post
My air conditioner stopped working recently on my traffic commute home. I was switching between AC on and off every 5 minutes or so (AC on for 5 min, off for 5) and suddenly it just stopped 30 or so minutes into my commute. The cabin fans blow but the radiator fans do not come on, no cold air.

I checked my radiator fans and unplugged the water temp sensor, they kicked on immediately so I know it's not the fans. I went through the service manual and checked all of the engine fuses - all of them looked good and tested good with multimeter. I have two BRZ's and I decided to swap the fuses with my other car, that did not correct the problem.

I started running through the air conditioner diagnosis steps in the repair manual (see attached photo) but I'm getting lost in figuring this thing out lol. I tried the steps but it doesn't appear to fix anything. There is no blinking indicator light which would show a problem. I'm also not seeing any of the codes in the "Actuator Check Table".

2015 BRZ Limited MT 11,000 miles.

Any suggestions what I can check or how to reset the system from the cabin?

I hope you get it working for today, it's going to be the hottest day of summer in CA today. Good luck

Last edited by DandoX; 09-01-2017 at 02:13 PM.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
rb6freak (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 12:23 AM   #47
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I hope you get it working for today, it's going to be the hottest day of summer in CA today. Good luck
Ordered and replaced the line long ago. Took the car to the dealer and they cleaned and recharged the system. It's been running strong since, no issues.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #48
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Bumping this back up because my AC isn't working. The car only blows hot air and the AC compressor won't kick on.

I've read through this thread and done the following per everyone's contributions:

1. Check related fuses in engine bay (All ok)
2. Check fuses on drivers side in cabin (All ok)
3. Check and replace relays in engine bay (All ok)

BUT...

4. Test voltage/resistance from hot lead to AC compressor (NO VOLTAGE/NO RESISTANCE)

This is where I'm stuck. No power to the AC compressor/clutch does not engage but all the fuses/relays are fine.

By all estimates all AC lines seem to be fine with no leaks and the system is obviously charged. Thoughts???
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #49
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Why is it "obviously charged"? Low pressure will still come out if the valve is pressed. Did you use gauges? Low gas is the most comin cause of frailer to cool.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #50
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't tested the pressure, but I've no reason to believe that the system is empty.
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #51
LotsaMiles

Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
I haven't tested the pressure, but I've no reason to believe that the system is empty.
Well, mine has 190k miles on it and everything was working before the lockdown. I parked the car for four months (so far) working from home. I took the car for a drive a few days ago and it blew cold for about a minute and then the compressor clutch would not engage. I tried to drive the car again a day later and the same thing happened. But now it does not engage at all.

However, a funny thing happened. I tapped the fuse box and it engaged for a few seconds. I'm suspecting that the coolant level has just dropped enough to allow the coolant pressure switch to prevent to compressor from coming on.

I'm taking it to the local guy to look at it. At 190k miles, it probably just needs a recharge.
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #52
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsaMiles View Post
I'm taking it to the local guy to look at it. At 190k miles, it probably just needs a recharge.
At 190 Kmiles, the compressor shaft seal is probably worn. Please do not just dump more refrigerant into a leaky system.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #53
LotsaMiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
At 190 Kmiles, the compressor shaft seal is probably worn. Please do not just dump more refrigerant into a leaky system.
Taking it in tomorrow. It's expected that he will just recharge it. We did that nine years ago with our old Chrysler 300m. Turned out it was a corroded evaporator. It all leaked out within a day.

This one was doing fine until I parked it for four months thanks to WFH. Meanwhile, my first gen Scion xB with 220k miles is getting a recharge next week. It still works, but it's weak. That should bring it back to life.
The Following User Says Thank You to LotsaMiles For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-06-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #54
LotsaMiles

Turns out mine was a defective relay. The clue was that if you tapped the fuse box it would come on.

However, apparently that relay is discontinued. Makes no sense so I'm sure it's just a mistake. But the fast fix was this - the horn takes the same relay. He just swapped them. I never use the horn and, beside, it might actually work for that since I rarely use the horn.
The Following User Says Thank You to LotsaMiles For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #55
LotsaMiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
Bumping this back up because my AC isn't working. The car only blows hot air and the AC compressor won't kick on.

I've read through this thread and done the following per everyone's contributions:

1. Check related fuses in engine bay (All ok)
2. Check fuses on drivers side in cabin (All ok)
3. Check and replace relays in engine bay (All ok)

BUT...

4. Test voltage/resistance from hot lead to AC compressor (NO VOLTAGE/NO RESISTANCE)

This is where I'm stuck. No power to the AC compressor/clutch does not engage but all the fuses/relays are fine.

By all estimates all AC lines seem to be fine with no leaks and the system is obviously charged. Thoughts???
See my post above this one. My relay "sometimes" worked.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:33 AM   #56
azonic

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6freak View Post
My air conditioner stopped working recently on my traffic commute home. I was switching between AC on and off every 5 minutes or so (AC on for 5 min, off for 5) and suddenly it just stopped 30 or so minutes into my commute. The cabin fans blow but the radiator fans do not come on, no cold air.

I checked my radiator fans and unplugged the water temp sensor, they kicked on immediately so I know it's not the fans. I went through the service manual and checked all of the engine fuses - all of them looked good and tested good with multimeter. I have two BRZ's and I decided to swap the fuses with my other car, that did not correct the problem.

I started running through the air conditioner diagnosis steps in the repair manual (see attached photo) but I'm getting lost in figuring this thing out lol. I tried the steps but it doesn't appear to fix anything. There is no blinking indicator light which would show a problem. I'm also not seeing any of the codes in the "Actuator Check Table".

2015 BRZ Limited MT 11,000 miles.

Any suggestions what I can check or how to reset the system from the cabin?
Massive thread bump, but do you by chance have the rest of that manual? I think i'm throwing an error code "2s" but can't find out what that means.
azonic is offline   Reply With Quote