follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Frivo

Drives: 2013 FRS, Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Knock Knock? Expired Warranty

Good afternoon all,

Been a bit of a lurker on these forums for a couple years, and looking for some opinions. A few hundred clicks and a month after my car crossed the 100k / 5 year warranty mark I got the CEL / Traction control light issue that seems to be popping up in new and old cars. The ECM has since been replaced under the emissions warranty, however it didn't help and in the time since this first came up the motor seems to be making some new sounds.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl5U1RX37ds[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tol1r2SPfA0[/ame]

It has a chugging and a knock, but only when warm. When started first thing in the morning, it sounds fine. If this was a true rod knock I would expect it to be constant?

The last time I had the toyota tech hook up the computer, he tried to adjust the vvti gears and found that they were not responding properly.

Running down this path, the sound is similar to the noise featured here:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErpHXIr4BmI[/ame]

So to recap, my situation is, I'm just out of warranty, I am either having multiple issues or possibly just one, is this a true knock, spark plug issue (they are due for a change) or the vvti?

Has anyone had luck running something similar through under warranty if it has just expired? If so, what did you say to get them to cover it?

Thanks!
Frivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
so... whats your engine trouble code? Seems like you are skipping a bunch of steps and trying to diagnose a problem based on sound when the tools are there to be a better job...
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
Frivo

Unfortunately I didn't get the exact code from the mechanic, but it is coming up as a Crankshaft Position error
Old 05-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
so... whats your engine trouble code? Seems like you are skipping a bunch of steps and trying to diagnose a problem based on sound when the tools are there to be a better job...

This, get a code scanner and pull the codes first
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #5
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
R.i.p.

Mine will be next i only got 52,000 miles but out of warranty
Old 05-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
Frivo

P0018 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 2 Sensor A) was the original error code, the car is currently at the shop and I have requested an update on any new codes that might be popping up.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frivo View Post
P0018 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 2 Sensor A) was the original error code, the car is currently at the shop and I have requested an update on any new codes that might be popping up.
Go read the "Check Engine Light" thread pinned at the top of this sub-forum, or do a quick search in this forum for any threads related to P0018 or P0016. These threads will answer a lot of your questions.

I just went through the nightmare that is P0018 last summer, and I'm also fairly local to you by the looks of it (Ontario), so please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or want some more details on what transpired with my case. I'd be happy to try and help however I can.

Cheers and good luck!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
Frivo

Thanks SLVRSRFR,

I read through your posts, good to see they covered a good majority of it. On the phone with the dealer last night, it sounds like I might get something similar, picking up 1 third the cost of the repair, though nothing formalized yet, they are opening a case with Toyota Canada.

As of last night current codes getting thrown are P000B, P0014, P0024
The Following User Says Thank You to Frivo For This Useful Post:
SLVRSRFR (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
Frivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
Go read the "Check Engine Light" thread pinned at the top of this sub-forum, or do a quick search in this forum for any threads related to P0018 or P0016. These threads will answer a lot of your questions.

I just went through the nightmare that is P0018 last summer, and I'm also fairly local to you by the looks of it (Ontario), so please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or want some more details on what transpired with my case. I'd be happy to try and help however I can.

Cheers and good luck!
Well it looks like I may need your help afterall, seems the dealer is claiming they have exhausted all warranty options (ie it's on me to pay in full) I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but how did you get them to eat part of the cost, looks like you were farther out of warranty than I was in terms of KM's?
Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frivo View Post
Well it looks like I may need your help afterall, seems the dealer is claiming they have exhausted all warranty options (ie it's on me to pay in full) I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but how did you get them to eat part of the cost, looks like you were farther out of warranty than I was in terms of KM's?
It could potentially be a side effect of the fact that we are dealing with different manufacturers, even though it's the same engine and same issue. Mine being a Subaru (obviously) meant I dealt with Subaru corporate and not Toyota, and I've heard rumours that Subaru can be a lot more lenient.

It could also be that my local dealer has treated me VERY well through-out my ownership, so the service manager there potentially "went to bat" for me. When I went into him and found out the bad news that I would need "the works" to fix the issue, and would be staring down the barrel of a $2700 repair bill, I just said "fuck it" and e-mailed Subaru Corporate. I figured I had nothing to lose.

I'm sure you read all my posts and already know what happens next, so I won't type it all again, but I really didn't have to do too much myself besides plead my case to them and hope they would have some compassion. I honestly didn't know what to expect, all said and done. I was trying to assume that they WOULDN'T help me, so as not to get my hopes up.

Once they opened the case, they requested my invoices for service performed (to ensure I had maintained the car properly and done my oil changes on time). Once they had received all my invoices from the dealer, and had researched and reviewed for a few days, they e-mailed me to offer to cover the cost of all parts, and I just had to pay labour at a discounted rate.

I'm not sure if you have personally reached out to Toyota in regards to the issue, or if it has been your dealer that has been communicating with head office. If I were you, I would do what I did and take it upon yourself to at least reach out to Toyota Canada and plead with them, as this is basically what I did, and it sounds like you also have nothing to lose at this point. My dealer, as much as he has helped me in the past, had no more strings left to pull on this one, and was basically throwing his hands in the air, saying he couldn't do anything for me. That's when I took it upon my self to reach out to them. If I hadn't reached out, I would be $2000 poorer right now, so I'm glad I did. As with anything in life, if you don't ask, you don't get!

Good luck, brother, and don't hesitate if there's any further advice I can provide.

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 06-02-2018 at 10:19 AM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:28 AM   #11
padillaricardo48

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Hey man I'm having the same issue my warranty has expired and they wanna charge me 10k for a new engine and i only have 138k miles in that engine its a shame that i haven't even hit 150k and need a new engine already what a shame but I need you guys help what can I do? They said also that the oil control valve is poorly made on the early models and cause some issues link is below.

I need help!!!! They don't want to cover it

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
padillaricardo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #12
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
With every business in the world trying to control cost right now. I am betting the out of warranty gestures that you could get some times are going to be non existent right now.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #13
padillaricardo48

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
With every business in the world trying to control cost right now. I am betting the out of warranty gestures that you could get some times are going to be non existent right now.
Have u had any luck? I'm literally calling them and calling them to cover the cost they wanna charge me 10k

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
padillaricardo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #14
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Sub 50k mile engines pop up all the time for around 3k$. This is an easier car to pull the engine.
If your spending 10k$ can get a fully built longblock.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (08-02-2020)

Tags
cel, engine, knock, vvti, warranty