follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 02:12 PM   #99
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Call me an asshat all you want but there are plenty of places where I can drive 7/10 without putting others in harm if I were to make a mistake. Going back and forth between cars in and out of traffic... I agree, lame. But it really isn't that hard to bust out of the mundane drive without going to a track or autox. But you don't even have to drive it like you stole it to downshift as you come to a stop. You don't need to be an asshat to exit the interstate, downshift through all the gears and come to a complete stop at the end of the ramp.

But anyways, to each their own. I just get sick of the arrogant attitude some have about how your an ignorant caveman because you happen to find a manual more fun.
I believe you may be taking what tcoat is saying the wrong way. He agrees with you to some extent, mostly when you refer to driving spiritedly in an area with little to no population, so the car can be pushed without the risk of any other drivers.

During a commute a MT is almost no different than an AT imo, because of how the car is being driven, it's being driven in a manner of which you simply need to get to point A to B(on time!!), sure you can sometimes have chances to ring out those RPMs, but for me in the morning, holy fuq, if I do anything remotely close to spirited I would probably cause an accident because of all the Soccer mom's driving tanks.

He also wasn't calling you an asshat lol. He just uses too many periods
Old 01-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #100
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,242 Times in 8,610 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
... but for me in the morning, holy fuq, if I do anything remotely close to spirited I would probably cause an accident because of all the Soccer mom's driving tanks.

Here Moms in their vans are the WORST. They do like 90 MPH in a 35, and drift around corners, and ride your ass. Those bitches are CRAZY!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-31-2018), finch1750 (01-31-2018), Jordanwolf (01-31-2018), Spuds (01-31-2018), Tcoat (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #101
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Here Moms in their vans are the WORST. They do like 90 MPH in a 35, and drift around corners, and ride your ass. Those bitches are CRAZY!
Could probably give Keiichi Tsuchiya a run for his money. "Fuck your touge, I HAVE KIDS TO DELIVER TO SOCCER PRACTICE".
Old 01-31-2018, 02:58 PM   #102
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Call me an asshat all you want but there are plenty of places where I can drive 7/10 without putting others in harm if I were to make a mistake. Going back and forth between cars in and out of traffic... I agree, lame. But it really isn't that hard to bust out of the mundane drive without going to a track or autox. But you don't even have to drive it like you stole it to downshift as you come to a stop. You don't need to be an asshat to exit the interstate, downshift through all the gears and come to a complete stop at the end of the ramp.

But anyways, to each their own. I just get sick of the arrogant attitude some have about how your an ignorant caveman because you happen to find a manual more fun.
Didn't call you an asshat. Called anybody that drives 10/10 ALL the time one. You very clearly do not do that. I down shift every stop, lay it out on an on ramp and do have fun when I can. That does not mean that it is fun ALL THE TIME and any of those things can be done with the AT in these cars.
There is nothing arrogant or caveman implication by stating that I do not get the whole "fun factor" thing about driving MT. If arrogance was shown at all it is through statements such as "If you think button pressing is more fun than a manual then you clearly don't know how to drive a manual" or "if you only shift up through the gears like a good boy". These are condescending and fail to see that anybody can have a different viewpoint. People can have just as much fun with these ATs as with a manual.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #103
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Technically I could still do that in my AT fwiw

There is no right answer. Drive the one that puts a smile on your face and fuck everything else.

Yes, with a button press. Which is my whole point. I press buttons on my keyboard all day long at work. That is what I consider mundane. Hahaha
Old 01-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #104
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes, with a button press. Which is my whole point. I press buttons on my keyboard all day long at work. That is what I consider mundane. Hahaha
My very first car (1964 Dodge Polara) had exactly what you describe. Maybe that's where I first went "wrong"....

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
ermax (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #105
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I believe you may be taking what tcoat is saying the wrong way. He agrees with you to some extent, mostly when you refer to driving spiritedly in an area with little to no population, so the car can be pushed without the risk of any other drivers.

During a commute a MT is almost no different than an AT imo, because of how the car is being driven, it's being driven in a manner of which you simply need to get to point A to B(on time!!), sure you can sometimes have chances to ring out those RPMs, but for me in the morning, holy fuq, if I do anything remotely close to spirited I would probably cause an accident because of all the Soccer mom's driving tanks.

He also wasn't calling you an asshat lol. He just uses too many periods

My only point here is manuals aren’t superior. But guys come in here and say the AT is superior simply because it shifts faster and that you are a caveman if you pick an MT. It isn’t all about shifting speed or the most advanced technology. F1 has the most advanced tech but look how boring it got before they dialed back the tech some. It’s about driving and the reward of doing something correctly. Anyone can press a button without making a mistake. This is why nearly all race cars have paddles these days. You can’t make a mistake. That doesn’t make it fun though.

I know Tcot wasn’t calling me an asshat. He was saying people that drive on public roads like they would a track are asshats. I am pointing out that I fall in that category but only when I am not impacting others. There for in his eyes I am an asshat and I am fine with that. Hahaha
Old 01-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #106
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
My very first car (1964 Dodge Polara) had exactly what you describe. Maybe that's where I first went "wrong"....
Well with that whopping two speed tranny a button is as good as anything!
Dadhawk (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #107
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Idk, it doesnt take me much conscious thought to downshift while slowing down (yes, thats with rev matching). Still mundane if in town and still fun on track. Whether i push a clutch while moving the lever or not doesnt change that for me because of how much fun the rest of the driving experiance is.

And the 95% of street miles i can be lazy if I want lol

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #108
Tcoat

Quote:
My only point here is manuals aren’t superior. But guys come in here and say the AT is superior simply because it shifts faster and that you are a caveman if you pick an MT. It isn’t all about shifting speed or the most advanced technology. F1 has the most advanced tech but look how boring it got before they dialed back the tech some. It’s about driving and the reward of doing something correctly. Anyone can press a button without making a mistake. This is why nearly all race cars have paddles these days. You can’t make a mistake. That doesn’t make it fun though.

I know Tcot wasn’t calling me an asshat. He was saying people that drive on public roads like they would a track are asshats. I am pointing out that I fall in that category but only when I am not impacting others. There for in his eyes I am an asshat and I am fine with that. Hahaha
Nobody is calling anybody a caveman for liking MT better.

I drive like an asshat every chance I get.

For the record ever car I have owned for over 30 years has been a MT.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #109
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Nobody is calling anybody a caveman for liking MT better.

I drive like an asshat every chance I get.

For the record ever car I have owned for over 30 years has been a MT.

Flip back a few pages. We were called specifically “cavemen”.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #110
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
ooga booga!

Current DD: M235i
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
ermax (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #111
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
ooga booga!

Hahaha. Seriously only cavemen turn off TC.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
8RZ (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #112
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:

They just lack the balls to play with sticks.

Closed Thread

Tags
automatic, why i bought