follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #1919
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
The correct term is "flappy paddle transmission."

- Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-05-2017), Kaotic Lazagna (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #1920
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The correct term is "flappy paddle gearbox."

- Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #1921
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
We may have had this discussion before.
When driving my mum's Yaris, which is an automatic, I play around with the "gear" selector. That is, I will force the gearbox down a gear for engine braking or approaching a steep (for the Yaris) incline. So is this an auto or not?
If I leave a dct transmission in auto mode is it not an auto?
"Most serious modern race transmissions have no clutch pedal and can NOT be selected automatically" sure but the driver is not changing the gear; they are choosing the gear. S/he is flicking a switch.

"A dual-clutch transmission, (DCT) (sometimes referred to as a twin-clutch transmission or double-clutch transmission), is a type of automatic transmission or automated automotive transmission."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_transmission

For more, see semi-auto versus fully automatic washing machines.
Obviously quoting text is not an indication of someone actually reading and comprehending it or the actual thread before it. I'll say it again since this appears to be a slow news day, a modern automatic transmission can be operated in a manual mode thanks to modern electronics, a modern manually selectable semi automatic transmission can be operated in an auto mode thanks to those same modern electronics.

For more, see a Venn diagram.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram

I'm curious how you would operate a Formula One or other race type of DCT in auto mode since they don't have it.

https://www.formula1.com/en/champion...--gearbox.html

"Formula One cars use highly sophisticated semi-automatic, seamless shift gearboxes......But despite such high levels of technology, fully automatic transmission systems, and gearbox-related wizardry such as launch control, are illegal - a measure designed to keep costs down and place more emphasis on driver skill."

Can you find me a torque converter hydramatic/automatic transmission that was only designed to be operated manually? If you still find this confusing, see above.

Btw, what kind of semi auto washing machines are you folks using in the outback these days? Is this a result of the Coriolis effect or high ABV?

Last edited by abraxis; 10-05-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:00 AM   #1922
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Obviously quoting text is not an indication of someone actually reading and comprehending it or the actual thread before it. I'll say it again since this appears to be a slow news day, a modern automatic transmission can be operated in a manual mode thanks to modern electronics, a modern manually selectable semi automatic transmission can be operated in an auto mode thanks to those same modern electronics.

For more, see a Venn diagram.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram

I'm curious how you would operate a Formula One or other race type of DCT in auto mode since they don't have it.

https://www.formula1.com/en/champion...--gearbox.html

"Formula One cars use highly sophisticated semi-automatic, seamless shift gearboxes......But despite such high levels of technology, fully automatic transmission systems, and gearbox-related wizardry such as launch control, are illegal - a measure designed to keep costs down and place more emphasis on driver skill."

Can you find me a torque converter hydramatic/automatic transmission that was only designed to be operated manually? If you still find this confusing, see above.

Btw, what kind of semi auto washing machines are you folks using in the outback these days? Is this a result of the Coriolis effect or high ABV?
I get your point, but I must add that arguing definitions when discussing the 'grey area' of a topic is usually a wasted endeavor; there is usually just too much subjective opinion muddling up the talking points. Nevertheless, I shall also give my muddled, subjective opinion.

A manual transmission requires the driver to disengage the engine from the transmission using a clutch pedal and requires the driver to move a linkage to slide a gear out of position and a new gear into synchronization with the drive assembly. This process is fundamentally basic in architecture, yet it requires the maximum in both effort and skill to perform. Every deviation from this architecture that complexes this system, while reducing the effort and skill necessary to perform said operations is an automatic or semi-automatic transmission.

I have driven a Ferrari F430 with a DCT. Some things to note: the car will go to redline and not shift, if the driver doesn't hit the 'gear selector'; with that said, the transmission selects the gear more often than the driver. What do I mean? If the driver has the car in neutral and selects first gear then the driver put it in gear, but not physically, right? The paddle didn't move a linkage like with a stick shifter; a computer servo thingy moved the linkage, and it gets worse. Once in first gear the computer puts the transmission in standby mode for second gear. Yes, the computer already has engaged second gear before the driver. By upshifting with the flappy paddle, the driver hasn't actually selected a gear; the driver has asked the computer to disengage the odd, geared clutch and shaft, and now to engage the even, geared clutch and shaft. Hmmmmm, this really isn't manual driving at all, is it?

Ahhh, but I can see the argument circling back around to the fact that if the driver doesn't hit that flappy paddle then the car will redline to destruction. Well, to that argument I reply with the fact that all the engineers would have to do to turn a DCT that doesn't shift into a full automatic that shifts without the driver's input is to write some code for the computer to automatically shift, since everything is in place for the transmission to operate independent of the driver.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irace86.2.0 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-06-2017), Tcoat (10-06-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 02:55 AM   #1923
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Well, to that argument I reply with the fact that all the engineers would have to do to turn a DCT that doesn't shift into a full automatic that shifts without the driver's input is to write some code for the computer to automatically shift, since everything is in place for the transmission to operate independent of the driver.
Thank you for proving my point. That everything is NOT there, otherwise why would you have to 'add' anything whether it's code, actuators, etc? The absence of these 'additions' means it can not function as an automatic unless it is altered or changed. I mean, I could go buy a kit or some parts and add them to a clutch pedal transmission and make them behave like a button or paddle shifted semi or auto as well.

In the engineering world clutch pedal transmissions, SMTs and DCTs share a common family heritage and design language that is completely unlike automatic transmissions such as hydramatics that use planetary gear sets and torque converters, or even more recent CVTs. The first three were designed WITH the intent of the driver manually selecting gears; convenience features added later. The latter two designed to operate precisely WITHOUT driver input for the sake of either convenience or optimum efficiency and mileage. Think of a biological tree where automatics branches off from the stick shift and form two distinct species yet both continue to evolve independent of each other into more modern forms.

Hopefully this helps prevent that next awkward moment when someone has trouble explaining to their family or friends how a transmission that can't actually select its own gears is being referred to as 'automatic'. Don't be that guy! Your LSAT scores will thank you later.

...and yes, subjective opinion is one thing, objective fact and deductive logic are something else entirely. This deviation is very often the source of much wasted time and space on forums. People often confuse their right to an opinion with actually being right in their opinion.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #1924
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Hopefully this helps prevent that next awkward moment when someone has trouble explaining to their family or friends how a transmission that can't actually select its own gears is being referred to as 'automatic'. Don't be that guy! Your LSAT scores will thank you later.
I bet you're one of those people who would list their car as 'manual' if only given 2 transmission choices.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #1925
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Thank you for proving my point. That everything is NOT there, otherwise why would you have to 'add' anything whether it's code, actuators, etc? The absence of these 'additions' means it can not function as an automatic unless it is altered or changed. I mean, I could go buy a kit or some parts and add them to a clutch pedal transmission and make them behave like a button or paddle shifted semi or auto as well.
Again, it wouldn't be actuators or anything complicated. It would just be software; it would be a reflashing of the ECU. The paddle shifters don't mechanically do anything. The ECU could be programmed to control shift timing just like a traditional planetary automatic. And a traditional planetary automatic could be programed with a flash to the ECU to not shift at all unless the driver pushes the drive selector to the + or the -. The fact that it is a planetary automatic or a dual clutch automatic doesn't change the fact that the computer is controlling the physical action of moving the mechanic stuff in the transmission.

If someone put an actuator on the clutch pedal and linked it to a button, and some contraption on the stick, so that paddle shifters initiated actuators that moved the stick into different gears, then it would be an automated manual transmission, or simply an automatic transmission for many people. You may not like that many people define a manual transmission by the history of transmissions, but they do. You may not like that many define a manual transmission by the fact that it requires the driver to move a mechanical lever to directly disengage the clutch then to move another mechanical lever to directly engage a gear, but they do.

Also, if your buddies ask you if you bought the manual or automatic Evo X then I hope you wouldn't tell them the Evo only came as a manual. If you do then don't be surprised if they give you a look.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86.2.0 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 12:57 AM   #1926
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Holy hell...

NOBODY CARES

Supra related stuff only from here forward.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-08-2017), gymratter (10-10-2017), Irace86.2.0 (10-08-2017), strat61caster (10-17-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 02:02 AM   #1927
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
In the engineering world clutch pedal transmissions, SMTs and DCTs share a common family heritage and design language that is completely unlike automatic transmissions such as hydramatics that use planetary gear sets and torque converters, or even more recent CVTs. The first three were designed WITH the intent of the driver manually selecting gears; convenience features added later. The latter two designed to operate precisely WITHOUT driver input for the sake of either convenience or optimum efficiency and mileage. Think of a biological tree where automatics branches off from the stick shift and form two distinct species yet both continue to evolve independent of each other into more modern forms.
I agree that in the engineering world there may be common ways engineers describe types of transmissions. But in the car enthusiast world there are cars with a stick and there are autos, and nothing gives many driving enthusiasts the same pleasure as physically operating three pedals and a shifter through the canons. Also, Acura offers a DCT with a torque converter for first gear because DCT's are notorious for having problems with getting up and going smoothly from a stop, something I can attest to in the Ferrari. That is why the family-tree-of-life analogy doesn't work because Acura evolved the two transmissions back together. And this article about Mazda's transmission development would also contradict your argument that traditional torque converter transmissions are all about convenience and not about speed of shifting, where they are showing that the traditional transmission could be better than a DCT:

http://www.businessinsider.com/mazda...instead-2011-8

Getting back to the Supra, I can imagine them making a traditional auto and a DCT. I think it is silly, as do many others, because we know many DCT's can work in full auto mode, just like many traditional transmissions offer paddle shifters like in the 86. Luxury brands seem to be going away from manual transmissions completely, offering it very rarely. Lexus is part of this trend, but this being a Toyota, I would be utterly shocked if it wasn't offered with a stick.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:04 AM   #1928
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
Holy hell...

NOBODY CARES

Supra related stuff only from here forward.
Oh you. Frat boys and their paddle boards, so eager to whip them out ;-) We know what you like
Old 10-10-2017, 12:26 AM   #1929
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
US spec Z4 and Supra will have 385hp from BMW's B58

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/bmw-...orsepower.673/
Old 10-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #1930
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
Freakin' forum inception going on here. Ft quotes, Supra. Supra quotes BMW. BMW all but says "we don't know but will make stuff up"

From the original:
"The top model of the upcoming BMW Z4 lineup might be offered in two configurations"
"at this time, we can’t state with certitude that the Z4 M40i will be offered with two different power options"
"But if we were to bet on something"
kmbkk (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #1931
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Freakin' forum inception going on here. Ft quotes, Supra. Supra quotes BMW. BMW all but says "we don't know but will make stuff up"

From the original:
"The top model of the upcoming BMW Z4 lineup might be offered in two configurations"
"at this time, we can’t state with certitude that the Z4 M40i will be offered with two different power options"
"But if we were to bet on something"
don't shoot the messenger, im just doing what the admins have asked.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #1932
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
don't shoot the messenger, im just doing what the admins have asked.
Nah not you. It is indeed the message that I was pointing out.
Just fun how it went from pure (stated) speculation to "Bimmerpost members said the above is true and the US will only receive the more powerful version of the B58" and "US spec Z4 and Supra will have 385hp from BMW's B58" in just two forums. By the time it makes it through a couple more it will be recorded as an official statement from God.
gymratter (10-10-2017)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose