follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Going back to school

So I graduated a few years ago (2010) in Marketing/Advertising. I have been working for a few years now and finally decided it is not for me. I emailed the admin offices today, and am looking to go back to school. I am going to see if I can get into the Animation program at BYU here in Utah. UVU and BYU have a couple of the best Animation programs in the country, so I will have to work my butt off to get in. Kind of a strange feeling to be going back to school and not be looking at an MBA too, but I am all about working in what you love, not what makes you the most cash.

Off topic, and random, but I thought I would share.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Anyway, @Tanuki just curious if you didn't like marketing and advertising? I ask this because this is one part of the field of business I'd like to add.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
Giccin (04-02-2013), Tanuki (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post

Anyway, @Tanuki just curious if you didn't like marketing and advertising? I ask this because this is one part of the field of business I'd like to add.
I suppose that I like it enough, but I don't exactly love it? From the places I have been so far, there is a lot of work, and very little recognition. I think one part that bugs me the most, is that you are driving sales, but the sales guys make more money than marketing. When you are in a company where your salesmen are basically just closers, I think that is wrong. If they are filling their own pipelines, I would feel differently.

Job is pretty fun, but I think the earning potential really isn't there for how much you have to put into it.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
I suppose that I like it enough, but I don't exactly love it? From the places I have been so far, there is a lot of work, and very little recognition. I think one part that bugs me the most, is that you are driving sales, but the sales guys make more money than marketing. When you are in a company where your salesmen are basically just closers, I think that is wrong. If they are filling their own pipelines, I would feel differently.

Job is pretty fun, but I think the earning potential really isn't there for how much you have to put into it.
Seems like the company just doesn't recognize you.

New company? Or talk with a manager?

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giccin For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
N8marsh

Drives: soon....
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm back in school for engineering after graduating a few years ago with a BS degree in Communications. (See what i did there?)

Best decision I have ever made; it's giving me a chance to learn about things that fascinate me and I will make actual money when I'm done.

Good to go back, just make sure it's a justifiable expense.
N8marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N8marsh For This Useful Post:
Giccin (04-02-2013), M-17 (04-02-2013), Tanuki (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Seems like the company just doesn't recognize you.

New company? Or talk with a manager?
I mean don't get me wrong, I make decent money and I get to travel, but if you look globally, the marketing guys almost always make less than the sales guys, unless you are a director etc.

Maybe a new company would make a difference, but I love art, and I would like to be a concept artist for Disney That would be worth my time in going back to school I think.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
IntotheOcean

Drives: Sexy Frs Firestorm M/T
Thanked 1,636 Times in 760 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
I know someone who's looking for a job -on long island- in Marketing/Advertising but can not find one. Is it hard to get into? Or is she just being picky, Also they only interned for 4months too, not sure if this changes anything.
I ask out of curiosity and well, its been a year already and I don't want her at my job anymore -haha-
IntotheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IntotheOcean For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
IntotheOcean

Drives: Sexy Frs Firestorm M/T
Thanked 1,636 Times in 760 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Ps: I was also looking into doing animation myself...I'm a bit worried since I'm more of a hands on person....rather than technical..Not sure if that makes sense. My community college offers a course I am going to take once I figure out my job situation.
Have you done it before? I really hope I enjoy it once given the chance.
IntotheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IntotheOcean For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8marsh View Post
I'm back in school for engineering after graduating a few years ago with a BS degree in Communications. (See what i did there?)

Best decision I have ever made; it's giving me a chance to learn about things that fascinate me and I will make actual money when I'm done.

I've been thinking about going back to school for Engineering after graduating with a BA in Psychology. Just don't want to be taking classes and doing hw again...
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Overtime some of my friends started to wise up about that. It also depends on the firm and product that's being pushed as well.

I admire marketing and advertising because you get to work on something different most of the time. Instead right now I'm just doing the same ol' thing in my office. Then my friends, in their eyes, are the ones that are jealous of me.

Good luck getting in BYU or UVA.

The Following User Says Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
Giccin (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
I mean don't get me wrong, I make decent money and I get to travel, but if you look globally, the marketing guys almost always make less than the sales guys, unless you are a director etc.

Maybe a new company would make a difference, but I love art, and I would like to be a concept artist for Disney That would be worth my time in going back to school I think.
You're definitely right. Sales guys always make the big bucks. Because they're good talkers.

But if you find what you really love to do back in school go for it. You may even combine both of your degrees and present yourself in a creative way for the newer company.

My uncle got a special degree.. Psychological business marketing. Lol

Needless to say he's a CEO of a company and is now pursuing a political job in the county.

From my point of view... you have three options. Go back to school, talk with your GM about your job or look elsewhere.

Also depending on your age going back to school might be an expensive change.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Archetype

Drives: 2013 BRZ Turbo, 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Do what makes you happy sir. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of doing something that you don't love, so that someone else makes money on your hard work and ideas for 50 years just to one day stop....or do die(whichever comes first).
I graduated from a Federal Service Academy, I drive container ships for a living, make 6 figures and work 5 months a year BUT I hate it. So In July I'm going back to school for high performance and auto racing. I've never been more excited about my future....live the dream man.
Archetype is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Archetype For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (04-04-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8marsh View Post

Yeah my cousin did this in one shot. She got an instant job offer right off the bat as soon as she graduated. I think her job has to do with something in transportations.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I've been thinking about going back to school for Engineering after graduating with a BA in Psychology. Just don't want to be taking classes and doing hw again...
Same here. That's why I'm doing a class here or 2 classes there.