follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #99
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrider77 View Post
What is the issue you currently have with this?
Many people tend to scrape it over any imperfections on the road if slightly lowered
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #100
GT86-Ian

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
Many people tend to scrape it over any imperfections on the road if slightly lowered

In the uk those imperfections in the road are called speed humps, the main reason why I haven't lowered my car.
GT86-Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #101
gdrider77

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
yeah, thats what i thought you were referring to. It unfortunate how low it drops under that rear crossmember....even my new setup is dropping under that a good bit.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #102
gdrider77

Just posted up a new thread on my Nexus 7 install. More to come on that.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...31#post1554231
Old 02-25-2014, 03:06 AM   #103
Pitman
Living the dream

Drives: Fensport AVO Turbo GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
What is the issue you currently have with this?
As stated above, a total lack of clearance on anything but a perfectly flat road. I am also having a resonator and HFC added to try and reduce the sound level - currently far too loud.
Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #104
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post
As stated above, a total lack of clearance on anything but a perfectly flat road. I am also having a resonator and HFC added to try and reduce the sound level - currently far too loud.
my SRT vbands scrap on the road on occasion, had to twist those just right so I didnt wear the bolts off on the road haha.

I hope everything bolts up well for my with my grimmspeed gaskets and SRT system - dont want to do any fabing here haha
Old 03-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #105
gdrider77

I was really wanting a larger 3" exhaust/overpipe setup to open it up more for the turbo.

Love the sound, and fit. I think it really helped the turbo as you will see in the dynographs i will be posting shortly. Of course the tune was the biggest change to the car, and that combined with the exhaust...oh baby.

More power, less boost, better response, just a whole new car honestly.

More updates to come soon.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #106
Pitman
Living the dream

Quote:
I was really wanting a larger 3" exhaust/overpipe setup to open it up more for the turbo.

Love the sound, and fit. I think it really helped the turbo as you will see in the dynographs i will be posting shortly. Of course the tune was the biggest change to the car, and that combined with the exhaust...oh baby.

More power, less boost, better response, just a whole new car honestly.

More updates to come soon.
I have had the new AVO 3" turbo exhaust outlet pipe, overpipe and HFC front pipe fitted, meaning I have a full 3" system now. The transformation is unbelievable, and fully recommended
Old 03-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #107
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have had the new AVO 3" turbo exhaust outlet pipe, overpipe and HFC front pipe fitted, meaning I have a full 3" system now. The transformation is unbelievable, and fully recommended
What kind of gains did you see to compare?
Did you have to install motor
Mounts? Any fitment issues with the 3" OP?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #108
Pitman
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What kind of gains did you see to compare?
Did you have to install motor
Mounts? Any fitment issues with the 3" OP?
I haven't had a chance to get my car back on the dyno yet, however there is a 10 g/s increase in airflow. No fitment issues (including the fact that the over pipe is wrapped). I am also currently on standard engine mounts, with no knocking issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitman For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #109
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
I haven't had a chance to get my car back on the dyno yet, however there is a 10 g/s increase in airflow. No fitment issues (including the fact that the over pipe is wrapped). I am also currently on standard engine mounts, with no knocking issues.
Wow that's excellent to hear. Can you visually see how much clearance around the OP there is? Look forward to your final results and comparison #s.

Lastly Q.. Sound wise are you much louder now? Any rasp or drone?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #110
gdrider77

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Wow that's excellent to hear. Can you visually see how much clearance around the OP there is?
Its hard to see, as its in an awkward place, but its probably around 1/4-1/2 inch roughly all around. My exhaust guy said there was enough room he could have probably fit in a 3 1/2" if we really wanted, although i think that's a bit optimistic, as it might fit, but be so damn tight it will bang on stuff with the motor flexing and such. Im in my garage right now working on stuff, i will see if i can get some measurements.

Nothing quite like the wife and kids leaving for the night, and just me, my garage and my toys for company....and yes, im typing this from my garage.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #111
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Its hard to see, as its in an awkward place, but its probably around 1/4-1/2 inch roughly all around. My exhaust guy said there was enough room he could have probably fit in a 3 1/2" if we really wanted, although i think that's a bit optimistic, as it might fit, but be so damn tight it will bang on stuff with the motor flexing and such. Im in my garage right now working on stuff, i will see if i can get some measurements.

Nothing quite like the wife and kids leaving for the night, and just me, my garage and my toys for company....and yes, im typing this from my garage.
Wow double perfect news!
Old 03-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #112
gdrider77

New day, new updates. Had alot of issues with tuning this car, my first tuner was just not up to the task, and never figured it out, Based on advice from people here and his reputation (at the time) I went with toni at FA20club for a remote tune to get me by. The good news, even his remote tune after a day of tweaking ran way better than my dyno tune from my original tuner. The bad news, it was Toni, and typical toni stuff. His communication was awful, he never finished tuning my car and just pretty much disappeared. For those that remember my ECU being bricked. It was toni's tune that did it, i was able to get on the phone with ECUtek and they remoted in and fixed my ECU, but it cost me over $80 just in international phone calls to them to get it all straightened out, and of course, Toni was of no help, John @Visconti and Bob @circuitmotorsports actually were more help on all my tunes, and they never got a dime from me. Thats another thread though.....ugh.

So i was very close to shipping my car off for tuning when I was contacted by Adam at @Revolutions Performance. I had asked him to tune my car close to a year ago when i first installed my turbo, but he was not wanting to tune an FI version of the twins until he had done it himself on his own car and felt comfortable. Well, just a few weeks before sending my car off, he finished tuning his car and his own in-house turbo setup and was now comfortable and ready to tune my car.

I took my car down to Adam and he kept it for around 2 weeks tuning it and tweaking it both on the dyno and on the street. The whole time, texting/emailing me info, dynos, etc.. He was really good at asking questions, and getting my input and thoughts on the tune, not just doing what he wanted. He would explain psi increases, the power/tradeoffs, and get my input on what i wanted to do, and with all that sending me dyno pulls showing me and comparing the differences so i could make informed decisions. For example, we found that increasing the psi from around 12-13 psi up to 16 only increased torque by about 20hp, and whp by around 3-4hp, so not really worth it for the extra tax on the turbo for essentially 20tq extra.

I picked it up and its running better than ever, amazing how good it feels. Adam is still getting logs from me and slowly tweaking little things here and there as needed. I was on the track just a week after getting it from him, and it performed flawless, i took some logs and sent to him and he will be reviewing them and sending slight revisions as needed soon.

Overall its finally running like i wanted and expected. Adams communication is amazing, and he really is great to work with. The fact that its his shop and he owns one of these cars as his daily, says alot.

I finally have the car i was after since beginning my build. Got the EBCS setup and working, wideband logging via ecu, and have the maps setup just like i wanted. Basically i have the car startup with a "valet" map. This allows casual driving, limiting throttle to 50% and rpm to 3500. Map 2 is my 9psi map with racerom feaures, and map 3 is my 13psi map with racerom features. Map 4 is currently empty, maybe use for 91octane, although probably be adding flex fuel, so we shall see.

Here you can see the initial 16psi i was going to run.

You look at this 13psi, and you will see not much HP difference, obviously less torque, but similar whp.

Here is the boost/AFR plot.

And here is my second map, which is my 9psi map. This was suppose to be my daily driver map, but in the end, i just drive around on my map3 13psi map.
Astroboy (04-18-2014), AVOturboworld (03-31-2014), Bigmaxy (03-31-2014), Draco_PR23 (04-01-2014), Drift-Office (04-03-2014), MFB (10-22-2014), Revolutions Performance (03-31-2014), SkAsphalt (03-31-2014), Sportsguy83 (03-31-2014)

Tags
avo, bov, brz, turbo, uel