follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2014, 02:18 AM   #1
natesparxxx

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best cold air intake

I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up yet, but does anyone know what the best Cai for the fr-s is?
I've been leaning toward the Perrin, but I didn't know if any of them had higher horsepower rating. Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
natesparxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #2
Yellow13

Drives: 2013 6MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesparxxx View Post
I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up yet, but does anyone know what the best Cai for the fr-s is?
I've been leaning toward the Perrin, but I didn't know if any of them had higher horsepower rating. Anyone know?

One thing you have to understand about putting a CAI on our car is that it will cause our engines to run too lean if you do not tune the ECU to the new MAF readings. Because of this, I opted for a AEM intake with the "tune" chip that they included (I want to get rid of it asap though, I need a real tune). I also liked it because it was a complete closed system, there were no gaps between the intake housing and the intake snorkel.

With that being said, these systems were ones I was highly considering:

- AEM Tuned intake (chosen)
- aFe Takeda
- Airaid

I do not have experience with the perrin intake, but it does look nice and seems like it could function properly, especially since it uses the stock snorkel location.

Last edited by Yellow13; 01-14-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Yellow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
natesparxxx

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S
I planned on getting the unichip after I got my cai until I can get a real tune.

natesparxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #4
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Engine exhaust section tons of discussions, comparisons, dynos, opinions. You're new here take a look there are several specific sections where you can search and find answers to this and many repeated questions. Cheers.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
MannyO
Ninja Moderator

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Thread has been moved to appropriate section.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
norsamerican

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Perrin
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Mikepage

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
But You Will need to remove the bumper to clean the filter with the Perrin COD

Mikepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
FRS-Jonathan

Drives: 2013 6spd manual Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
i forgot where i read it but supposedly the injen had the best gains but also had a bog issue, forgot but there was a thread with dyno plots on various ones
FRS-Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
We've got Perrin, Injen, and Takeda intakes that you can take a look at. Let me know if I can help out!

Perrin Performance Cold Air Intake for Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ - Available in red and black

Injen SP Air Intake for Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ

Takeda Cold Air Intake System - Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ

Hope that helps! PM/Email or call with any questions - 714.582.3330 extension 8002, or ask for Jurrian
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ModBargains.com For This Useful Post:
Tekno Virus (10-12-2015)
Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Best in terms of what? Power? Drivability? Bling?

The stock setup with a drop in filter is best for drivability and fairly good on the power but obviously only looks stock. With a tune something like the Perrin 3" will probably get the most power but you NEED a tune. Not sure if Unichip will work with it or not. For bling, well thats your personal choice whats best.

Personally I have a Perrin drop in filter and silicon tube with a Max Racing dynamic duct. I also removed all the resonators for some extra induction noise. Looks good, sounds great, drivability suffered a littledown low but the top end flys.

The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
chris x sway (02-02-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
IAmNotTheDriftKing

Drives: I own an FR-S. . . whatelse!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The factory airbox is pretty good as it is, there is no need for a CAI. If anything you can get a panel filter for maybe 1hp gain(probably not) but it will give you a nice induction noise(although I can't hear mine after installing the headers. . .). No need to spend money on mods you don't need!
IAmNotTheDriftKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
???
noob and expert

Drives: None :(
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have rarely, if ever told someone to search or do some research, I don't mean to be an a$$, but dude... Research LOL. There are a lot of threads like this.
Factory air boxes used TERRIBLE, but they have improved dramatically.The factory air box on this car is good, but it can DEFINITELY be improved. You will even notice some of the restrictions just by looking at it. You will probably gain a good 5-6 whp from a well designed system.
There may not be a "best." There are some that are better in the low end, there are some that are better in the high rpm range, and some are better in the mid range. It all depends on what you want from your system. Dsport had an intake and exhaust showcase. Go on their website, and find the article. They compared most of the air intake systems and exhaust available at the time on the same dyno and car.
A crappy CAI will not be nearly as good as a well-designed short ram. Also, cold air is denser, as you probably know, so you will likely get more power than a short ram, but there is the risk of hydro-lock. Hydro-lock is when water enters the engine, and believe me, that would be BAD. You can blow/ruin the engine like that so if you live in a place where it rains a lot, you are below sea-level, there is poor sewer system, your car is lowered, etc. a CAI is probably not the right system for you. If you live in the desert, you may have to take parts off such as the bumper just to clean the filter which is a pain in the a$$ every few thousand miles. You can still get awesome results from a short-ram or even a K&N drop-in.

There are pretty much four options:
1)K&N drop-in. This is the best bang for the buck. It's much better than stock for several reasons, but the gains were very close throughout the whole power band to a complete intake system. Peak horses is not what's important.
2)Takeda Intake. Dsport had an intake and exhaust showcase where they tested most of the intakes and exhausts that are available for this car. This one was one of the best ones throughout the whole power band.
3) Injen Intake. Again, this one was one of the best ones throughout the whole power band, and it was part of the showcase. Find the article of their website to determine which one is better for your application.
4) Grimspeed. They have put A LOT of R&D into this intake. They still haven't released it. There are four threads that they made on it. Find them.

Note: I actually wasn't biased when writing this. These were all tested on 91-octane one a dyno. I don't know what dyno they used, though. Sure it may not be possible for humans to be completely unbiased, but I probably wouldn't have even considered Injen, Takeda, or Grimspeed had I not read the article or the threads. I probably would've just told you, "Get HKS. HKS is the best for everything!" or something like that. This penned my eyes a little. Again, what i told you is just based on data. Also, the Takeda and Injen were tested on the same car and dyno, so those compare apples to apples. The K&N and Grimspeed PROTOTYPE were tested on the same car and dyno, so those also can be compared apples to apples.
Note 2: If you ask me, Grimspeed, which i hadn't even heard of until about three months ago or something, is probably the best intake for this car. I say this because I read all three threads, and I'm in shock that they have put so much work, answered every question, and posted so much data about their product. Manufacturers usually hide info like that especially when they use a competitor's product to compare.

Note 3: I don't know if any of those three intake systems are CAI's.

Note 4: You may want to check if certain intakes retain the sound tube. A lot of people like listening to their engine, so you may want to take that into account when choosing an intake. Some intakes do change the sound though, so you can still hear the engine without the sound tube. I know that the Injen can do that according to Dsport.

BEST OF LUCK! :p
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ??? For This Useful Post:
daisha (02-03-2014), Freedom (09-11-2014), FRSapex (01-01-2016), leicaboss (02-02-2014), natesparxxx (02-01-2014), ramiram1984 (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Most intakes move the MAF to turbulent spots and end up being harder to tune than the stock one because of inaccurate readings. Choose an intake that has the MAF on a straight section of piping, or leave your stock intake. Many tuners are seeing better exhaust gains with a stock intake. I ended up with the Mishimoto intake hose to clean up the engine bay and slightly better flow.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #14
dave77
Big Member

Drives: 2014 FR-S
I'm gonna get the beatrush Laile intake, it's looks kickass.
dave77 is offline   Reply With Quote