follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
Plan to when I have time to troubleshoot further.

I just found it odd that there was absolutely no power to the entire car so one thing for sure, it would be a problem that's above and beyond the starter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Sometimes snow birds down here use those. They are junk. They can look great, no corrosion and still not work. Knife switches are the same.

That said if you have power that's not it. Sometimes I go to start my car and it acts like the clutch isn't pushed in and won't start. I have to adjust that switch. To get it to start when that happens I have to stomp the clutch like I'm pushing it through the floor.
Read further.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #30
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Read further.
OP-

Hello, friends!

So, my car has been having issues starting lately. I have a push start brz, and sometimes when I try to start the car I hear a single click, and no crank. after trying a few times the car would start. Some days it starts on the first try. Other days, it takes a few tries. Today, it wouldn't start at all, so I took the battery to get tested, and it's still good (less than 6 months old). I then moved on to the alternator. Got it out and took it for testing too. Alternator is also good. Okaaaay... so, my only conclusion now is that the starter is faulty. What do you guys think? Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Single click is either starter or battery connection.

TANNER said....
As soon as I reset the power (have a battery disconnect switch and never had problems with it or power going off while driving - which would be a bad thing), everything came back to life. Got back in the car, it's like as if I tried to start the car but without the clutch depressed. I'm starting to wonder if there's a relay that's acting up....

OP is Gray Fox, Tanner is the other guy. I'm all confused. Who's fucking car won't start?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 PM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Plan to when I have time to troubleshoot further.

I just found it odd that there was absolutely no power to the entire car so one thing for sure, it would be a problem that's above and beyond the starter.
Quote:
Sometimes snow birds down here use those. They are junk. They can look great, no corrosion and still not work. Knife switches are the same.

That said if you have power that's not it. Sometimes I go to start my car and it acts like the clutch isn't pushed in and won't start. I have to adjust that switch. To get it to start when that happens I have to stomp the clutch like I'm pushing it through the floor.
Quote:
OP-

Hello, friends!

So, my car has been having issues starting lately. I have a push start brz, and sometimes when I try to start the car I hear a single click, and no crank. after trying a few times the car would start. Some days it starts on the first try. Other days, it takes a few tries. Today, it wouldn't start at all, so I took the battery to get tested, and it's still good (less than 6 months old). I then moved on to the alternator. Got it out and took it for testing too. Alternator is also good. Okaaaay... so, my only conclusion now is that the starter is faulty. What do you guys think? Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Single click is either starter or battery connection.

TANNER said....
As soon as I reset the power (have a battery disconnect switch and never had problems with it or power going off while driving - which would be a bad thing), everything came back to life. Got back in the car, it's like as if I tried to start the car but without the clutch depressed. I'm starting to wonder if there's a relay that's acting up....

OP is Gray Fox, Tanner is the other guy. I'm all confused. Who's fucking car won't start?
LOL ya it took at turn at post 19. Tanner is the one now with no power at all. I have little doubt it is something to do with the disconnect even if it looks fine.
guybo (07-30-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #32
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I have this issue, and this morning after getting my morning coffee, went to start the car...

Had the same thing happen today, I've been experiencing issues with the car not starting the first try (Push button) usually when i hit the button it clicks but then doesn't start. Usually I would just press the button again and it starts the car. I've been experiencing that a lot. And then today luckily i was at my friends house and I couldn't start the car....no response or anything I don't know what happened but when I opened the door and all the lights came on the car and all I had to do was press the button (clutch in) and then bam it turns on.

I wanna add that I recently just got a new battery from Autozone, and I also just got my spark plugs replaced, and got a new Key FOB battery.

Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 PM   #33
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
starter or battery connection. Start by taking off the battery terminals and cleaning them. Make sure they are very tight (you shouldn't be able to move them by hand at all).

A single hard click is almost always one of these things.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #34
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I went and checked, everything looks good, I'll see if I can find the thread again but I read somewhere that basically for the push to start car you have to actually wait to get the "green" key lit icon on your dash and then start the car. Something about a safety feature I guess.

I usually just go in and just stomp on the clutch and press the button and bam it starts the car. I'm not sure if that's the reason why but I've been actively waiting to see the damn "green key" icon and then starting my car and I've had no issues today.

Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #35
FRSFather

Drives: Silver 10 series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So to add to this thread. My daughter has the 2013 series 10 standard trans with 35k miles. She has been having stating issues with the push button start also. We have replaced the battery in the key fobs. I just replaced the main battery as it was tested and bad. I thought that was it, but she told me today that it didn't start again.
She gets in the car, gets the green key icon after pushing in the clutch, then pushes the button, all the lights come on like normal, but the nothing. The engine doesn't even try to turn over. One time she said she heard it click like this post says, but most of the time she just gets nothing. After waiting it out a little bit the car starts fine.

I'm assuming the clutch switch is good, because the green key icon comes on when the clutch is pressed in. We know the battery is good. No corrosion clean terminals. Key fob battery good. When I changed out the battery, I did jiggle the wires on the starter to make sure they were on secure. I'm assuming the ground wire is secured on with all the other lights coming on. I saw a YouTube video about something with the steering wheel lock. She has tried shaking the steering wheel to get it to start, but did not work. I guess maybe check the starter relay? Is there anyway to test it or do I just gotta buy a new one? Also I guess I'll have the starter tested. I'll keep plugging away at it, it's just getting frustrating.

Any other tips I should try? For me it feels like something is up with that button or sensor to get to the starter.
FRSFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #36
FRSFather

Drives: Silver 10 series
I think I've narrowed it down to one of the sensors under the clutch pedal. I found this YouTube video and it's the exact same thing her car is doing.

FRSFather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSFather For This Useful Post:
Cheeky (05-01-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 12:10 AM   #37
Cheeky

Drives: 10 Series FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSFather View Post
I think I've narrowed it down to one of the sensors under the clutch pedal. I found this YouTube video and it's the exact same thing her car is doing.
Anyone know the part number for this clutch pedal sensor?

This problem has started to plague me the last year. Replaced key fob battery, worked for a bit but then the problem started again in less than a few weeks. Car battery is about 2 yrs old but honestly I doubt it's the problem if sometimes it works fine. No cranking sounds, just nothing at all... I am gonna try to replace the clutch pedal sensor I guess but need the part # or source.
Cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:57 AM   #38
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Before you replace, check the position of the switch. Friend had one that had come loose.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-03-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #39
Cheeky

Drives: 10 Series FRS
Thanks, not sure which switch you are referring to, but if it's the clutch sensor switch/module, I checked it and it wasn't loose or anything. Even used my finger to click it myself a few times to see if it was a mechanical failure and it was not.

For me, now I am pretty certain that it is the sensor failing, because I noticed that as long as I pushed the clutch in and the green key light showed up, my car would start up 100% without fail. Whenever I pushed clutch in and green key didn't show up, it would not turn on.
Cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote