follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 53 51.96%
Moderna 27 26.47%
Johnson & Johnson 6 5.88%
AstraZeneca 4 3.92%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 0.98%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #2437
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Maybe this site: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...8-0242ac130002

Used like an api for the chart or something? Anyway FL is more in the middle not in the red and that matches the numbers in the two other sources I gave you. One of which is the source this site claims. If the data was different I would be concerned but all 3 seem to match. Also I'm talking PER CAPTIA if you just look at overall yeah Florida looks bad but they also have a lot of people living there... CT is only 3 million and has almost half as many deaths.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 05:06 PM   #2438
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,855 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
My father was in lockdown and still caught the virus, likely from a caregiver in Dec '20, 9 months after a worldwide pandemic had been declared.
My aunt just passed away last night due to pneumonia caused by covid.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-11-2021), soundman98 (05-10-2021), spike021 (05-10-2021), Spuds (05-10-2021), Ultramaroon (05-11-2021), weederr33 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #2439
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
My aunt just passed away last night due to pneumonia caused by covid.
Sorry to hear. Was she fully vaccinated prior to getting sick?
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #2440
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
My condolences KL. I am truly sorry.
Kaotic Lazagna (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #2441
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

My apologies if the following come across as elementary. It probably is. Sorry.

Some have touched on the problem with interpreting this kind of data. There are several questions that can be asked and the analyst needs to be specific as to which one they are asking.

The New York Times has kept very good records of the the impact of the virus since the beginning. Click on the link below.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

Scroll down to the "Hot Spots" section. Now, look to the right hand side of the page where a gray tone map of the US says "Deaths."

Click on the map

Scroll down to the table section. Go to the end of it and click "show all."

The default time frame of the table is "Recent Trends" and the states are sorted by the number of recent cases. Look at the column headers and click on the one beside "deaths" that says " per 100,000. Now the states are sorted in the descending order of recent fatality rates. IOW, the states with the highest current death rates are at the top.

Michigan is currently the worst off by far with .69 fatalities per 100k per day. Florida comes in at number 4. Its rate is a little less than half Michigan's. Now, scroll down about about 6 more lines an we find New York. Its current daily rate is about 2/3s of Florida's.

So, right now, Florida is having more problems with people dying than the vast majority of all other states. New York is not in great shape, but orders of magnitude better than it was earlier.

OK. Now scroll back to the top of the table. Just above the top of the table is a dialog box. Click on "All time." Now go back over to the "Deaths" column and click on "per 100,000" again.

Now we're looking at the overall death rate since the beginning of the pandemic. Beside the rates are charts showing each state's curve over the course of the pandemic. Topping the list are New Jersey and New York with really high rates. Florida runs middle of the pack, faring better than Texas.

So what does this tell us? Perhaps a couple of things. Comparing states like Texas and Florida's all time number with the northeastern states makes the southern states look better than, perhaps, they are, at least now. The vast majority of the deaths in the NE happened in the early weeks of the pandemic when the virus's behavior was unknown, PPE was in short supply and there were virtually no therapies for infections.

Over time the NE states have figured the virus out a bit and their numbers have come down. Last May, when New York's death rate finally fell a bit, some states, Texas for example took that as a signal that the worst had passed and threw open the doors for Memorial Day. That was an epic blunder.

So, New England got hit hard early, learned a little from their mistakes and their death rates declined. Their state level death curves were pretty flat through the fall and winter even as cases jumped. Other states apparently didn't learn much from NE's experience and had to be taught their own painful lessons. Texas and Florida went to school last summer and, since that wasn't painful enough they got another lesson over the winter.

If you click on the individual states the graphs tell some really interesting stories.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 05-10-2021 at 08:28 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (05-11-2021), Spuds (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 07:26 PM   #2442
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,855 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Sorry to hear. Was she fully vaccinated prior to getting sick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
My condolences KL. I am truly sorry.
She was in the Philippines, where their vaccine issues are worse than here in the US. She always stayed at home, but contracted covid from my other aunt who went to visit her one day. She ended up being in the ICU for a month. Virus went away from what I was told, and she was discharged to go back home. However, the pneumonia either never fully went away, or came back and ultimately took her away. Her daughter caught it as she was staying in the hospital watching over her. As of right now, the daughter (as well as my other aunt) don't appear to be in any immediate danger fortunately.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-11-2021), Spuds (05-10-2021), wbradley (05-11-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 08:18 PM   #2443
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

Some have touched on the problem with interpreting this kind of data. There are several questions that can be asked and the analyst needs to be specific as to which one they are asking.

The New York Times has kept very good records of the the impact of the virus since the beginning. Click on the link below.

Scroll down to the "Hot Spots" section. Now, look to the right hand side of the page where a gray tone map of the US says "Deaths."

Click on the map

The default time frame of the table is "Recent Trends" and the states are sorted by the number of recent cases. Look at the column headers and click on the one beside "deaths" that says " per 100,000. Now the states are sorted in the reverse order of recent fatalities. IOW, the states with the highest current death rates are at the top.

Michigan is currently the worst off by far with .69 fatalities per 100k in (I think) the last 14 days. Florida comes in at number 4. Its rate is a little less than half Michigan's. Now, scroll down about about 6 more lines an we find New York. Its current rate is about 2/3s of Florida's.

So, right now, Florida is having more problems with people dying than the vast majority of all other states. New York is not in great shape, but better.

OK. Now scroll back to the top of the table. Just above the top of the table is a dialog box. Click on "All time." Now go back over to the "Deaths" column and click on "per 100,000."

Now we're looking at the overall death rate since the beginning of the pandemic. Topping the list are New Jersey and New York with really high rates. Florida runs middle of the pack. However, even Texas fares better than Florida.

So what does this tell us? Perhaps a couple of things. Comparing states like Texas and Florida's all time number with the northeastern states makes the southern states look better than, perhaps, they are. The vast majority of the deaths in the NE happened in the early weeks of the pandemic when the virus's behavior was unknown, PPE was in short supply and there were virtually no therapies for infections.

Over time the NE states have figured the virus out a bit and their numbers have come down. Last May, when New York's death rate finally fell a bit, some states, Texas for example took that as a signal that the worst had passed and threw open the doors for Memorial Day. That was an epic blunder.

So, New England got hit hard early, learned a little from their mistakes and their death rates declined. Their state level death curves were pretty flat through the fall and winter even as cases jumped. Other states apparently didn't learn much from NE's experience and had to be taught their own painful lessons. Texas and Florida went to school last summer and, since that wasn't painful enough they got another lesson over the winter.

If you click on the individual states the graphs tell some really interesting stories.
NYT did a pretty good job classifying that data, the other two sites were pretty vague about it.

Something else interesting is that the NY(city) death rate is really high but it turns out that the number of covid cases per capita is nearly the same as Florida. That is likely a result of not having adequate treatment and probably a bit of denialism early on.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:18 PM   #2444
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:

Click on the map

The default time frame of the table is "Recent Trends" and the states are sorted by the number of recent cases. Look at the column headers and click on the one beside "deaths" that says " per 100,000. Now the states are sorted in the descending order of recent fatalities. IOW, the states with the highest current death rates are at the top.

Michigan is currently the worst off by far with .69 fatalities per 100k in (I think) the last 14 days. Florida comes in at number 4. Its rate is a little less than half Michigan's. Now, scroll down about about 6 more lines an we find New York. Its current rate is about 2/3s of Florida's.

So, right now, Florida is having more problems with people dying than the vast majority of all other states. New York is not in great shape, but orders of magnitude better than it was earlier.

OK. Now scroll back to the top of the table. Just above the top of the table is a dialog box. Click on "All time." Now go back over to the "Deaths" column and click on "per 100,000."

Now we're looking at the overall death rate since the beginning of the pandemic. Topping the list are New Jersey and New York with really high rates. Florida runs middle of the pack, faring better than Texas.

So what does this tell us? Perhaps a couple of things. Comparing states like Texas and Florida's all time number with the northeastern states makes the southern states look better than, perhaps, they are. The vast majority of the deaths in the NE happened in the early weeks of the pandemic when the virus's behavior was unknown, PPE was in short supply and there were virtually no therapies for infections.

One thing I can comment on is my state's governor who believes quite heavily on saving the economy and not giving a shit about the people per se. And my dumbass voted for him not long ago -___-

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 05-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #2445
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
One thing I can comment on is my state's governor who believes quite heavily on saving the economy and not giving a shit about the people per se. And my dumbass voted for him not long ago -___-
Yep. Abbott's declaring victory and throwing the doors open last May was, in my opinion, criminal. Two things in Abbott's favor - Patrick and Paxton are worse. Remember Patrick saying old people should be willing to take one for the team and die for the economy?
Old 05-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #2446
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep. Abbott's declaring victory and throwing the doors open last May was, in my opinion, criminal. Two things in Abbott's favor - Patrick and Paxton are worse. Remember Patrick saying old people should be willing to take one for the team and die for the economy?
Lol yep gotta love it

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 05-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #2447
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
It’s not just Texas. Unfortunately, many state leaders are all and only about ‘the economy’. Even in New England in the supposedly democratic state of Rhode Island, both the previous (Raimondo) and current (McKee) governor’s actions spoke louder than their words. They only care about the economy regardless of how many people might get sick or die. In December and January, little Rhode Island was actually the most highly infected place in the entire world because of their negligence and stupidity (per capita infections per day).

What these short-sighted people fail to realize is that saving lives and the economy are not mutually exclusive but go hand in hand. People go out and spend money when they are safe. In the long term, many ‘safer’ states have lower unemployment rates than ones with higher infection rates.

But too many people are too short-sighted to see or think about that. They get small business owners howling at them about how they’re losing money because they can’t fill up their restaurants. Without caring that doing so spreads infection.

As a society we’ve decided that short-term money is more important than human life. It says a lot about us.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:08 AM   #2448
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
IAs a society we’ve decided that short-term money is more important than human life. It says a lot about us.
Or, people could take personal responsibility for their actions and heed specific health warnings without having to have it mandated to them. It is not a politicians responsibility to attempt to force us to do the right thing. We should be willing to do that ourselves. That's the real issue.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-11-2021), Ultramaroon (05-11-2021), Wally86 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 08:23 AM   #2449
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Or, people could take personal responsibility for their actions and heed specific health warnings without having to have it mandated to them. It is not a politicians responsibility to attempt to force us to do the right thing. We should be willing to do that ourselves. That's the real issue.
There is still the question of whether people just refused to do the right thing, or were confused as to what the right thing was.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (05-11-2021), Capt Spaulding (05-11-2021), Dadhawk (05-11-2021), Wally86 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #2450
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
In a perfect, utopian world, that would theoretically be ideal. The key word you said is "should". But that doesn't exist in most places on Earth, with a few isolated exceptions. A few problems with that approach:

1. Most people are terrible at judging risk. It's human nature. We underestimate risk, and when we do something and 'get away' with it (like eating indoors in a restaurant at the height of the pandemic), it encourages us to push the boundaries even more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...9a6_story.html

2. Most people are not capable of understanding the scientific facts and therefore the dangers of the pandemic. Most people aren't trained in medicine, biology, epidemiology, etc. They get their 'information' from FaceBook and not reputable sources. Most people need someone else to analyze and interpret the data and decide on the best course of action, because they're incapable of doing it themselves.

Think about how stupid the average person is in this country. Then consider that half of people are even dumber than that.

3. When a government allows something, people naturally assume that it must be safe to do so - otherwise, why would it be permitted? When state governments (like Texas, Florida, and others) allow bars and restaurants to be open for indoor dining without masks, people assume that it's OK to go there (and also because they want to believe it whether it's true or not), despite evidence that this only spread infections and cost lives.

https://jkms.org/DOIx.php?id=10.3346/jkms.2020.35.e415

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...s-hotels-risk/

4. Most aspects of life are beyond an individual's control. If a government creates an unsafe environment with prematurely opened bars, restaurants, gyms, etc., contagion is everywhere. Virions don't follow any limits or boundaries. If a state government creates an unsafe environment, then anyone walking into a supermarket to buy food or pharmacy to get medicines is at increased risk, because of what the government has done. The result can be this -

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/ri-...ng-to-new-data

Personal responsibility can only go so far. Even if someone is diligent about wearing good masks, social distancing, etc., they can still get infected in a supermarket or other place where they need to go just to live. The onus must be on leaders to make the environment safe for everyone, not for individuals to try and figure out a way for them as individuals to compensate for the malfeasance and incompetence of their leaders. Personal responsibility shouldn't mean having to seal yourself inside a glass bubble and isolate yourself from the environment in order to stay alive.

We elect our leaders to look out for our best interests, not theirs. Part of that responsibility is to make our environment safe to live. Not to put our health and lives at risk so that some of their cronies can make a few bucks off of it.

5. Being safe really is good for an economy -

Unemployment Rates

States with generally LOW infection rates over time

Days w/critical infection
Year end 2019 2020 levels since 3/1/20

Vermont 2.5% 3.5% 16
Oregon 3.3% 6.3% 50
Maine 2.8% 5.0% 52

States with generally HIGH infection rates over time

Year end 2019 2020

Rhode Island 3.6% 7.9% 186
New Jersey 3.6% 7.7% 180
Massachusetts 2.9% 8.4% 134
Connecticut 3.6% 8.2% 128

Sources: data.bls.gov for unemployment statistics
covidactnow.org for data on number of days with "critical" infection levels

6. You can't count on people to organically do it all on their own. Too many people are selfish, short-sighted, closed-minded, and ignorant if not outright stupid. That's just the way it is. Even if a majority of people on their own do the right thing (like Vermont seems to have done), a sizable majority of maskholes, covidiots, and anti-vaxxers will still create a big enough problem to make it dangerous for everyone.

Unfortunately, you need smart, dedicated, ethical, strong leadership willing to make hard, unpopular decisions to do the right thing for society. They need to lead people to doing the right thing, the things that most people can't or won't do on their own. We're sadly lacking that in much of this country, at all levels. Which is why 'Merica is still the world leader in per capita COVID infection rates and deaths.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
dpfarr (05-11-2021), humfrz (05-11-2021), Subsonic (05-11-2021)
Closed Thread

Tags
eagle5 got sandy vag, tread harder daddy, tylerlieberman is a cuck