follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #29
GaDgeT

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not a fan of the MS-8, had one in my last SQ car... Could never get the tuning and L7 to sound any good using the auto tune blips and binaural mic. Wouldnt want to install a center channel in the BRZ/86, would have to hack up the dash
GaDgeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #30
ean611

Drives: Crystal Black Silica BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Yeah, I won't be taking mine to the level you did with yours (very nice job on the sound system BTW). I also love the color of your car

I am going to look into DSP/EQ options and go over them with my installer. Leaning towards an MS-8...

The Imagine series I am buying also are convertible.. Coaxial and component but most people are saying to stay coaxial because the tweeters can get too bright.. I am not sure how I feel about coaxial in this car...
Do not do Coax. The tweeter will be too recessed in the door. You'd rather bounce the tweet off the windshield than have the left tweeter basically be blocked by the door panel.
ean611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #31
ean611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
Surprised no ones mentioned the Audison DSP's, like the Bit Ten and the Bit One.
Um, because I forgot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDgeT View Post
Not a fan of the MS-8, had one in my last SQ car... Could never get the tuning and L7 to sound any good using the auto tune blips and binaural mic. Wouldnt want to install a center channel in the BRZ/86, would have to hack up the dash
I've heard the MS8 in a SQ competition car. Excellent results there. Any auto-tune device can be finicky to get great results out of, but for an inexperienced tuner, it can be significantly easier.

Alpine Imprint is near useless FYI.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean611 View Post
Do not do Coax. The tweeter will be too recessed in the door. You'd rather bounce the tweet off the windshield than have the left tweeter basically be blocked by the door panel.
I was thinking the same thing. Component with the phase plugs it is
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #33
Skippman

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Quote:
Um, because I forgot?
No biggie. Just didn't know if there wasn't the same love for them there was a few years back.

I'm planning a multistage build and the Bit Ten D is one of the first things I'm going to install alone with an Audison Voce amp or two driving the factory speakers. I hear a lot about the new Arc Audio DSP and was wondering if that might not be a better route.
Skippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #34
ean611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
No biggie. Just didn't know if there wasn't the same love for them there was a few years back.

I'm planning a multistage build and the Bit Ten D is one of the first things I'm going to install alone with an Audison Voce amp or two driving the factory speakers. I hear a lot about the new Arc Audio DSP and was wondering if that might not be a better route.
There are pros and cons to the Arc Audio PS8, as there are pros and cons to every DSP.

FYI, Arc Audio PS8 and Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Processor-Integration-Capabilities/dp/B004V9GSTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375461811&sr=8-1&keywords=3sixty.3"]Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate 363 Digital Signal Processor with OEM Integration Capabilities: Car Electronics[/ame]) use the same Cirrus Logic DSP with very different firmware and DSP algorithms.

There is no perfect DSP, just many choices and trade offs.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #35
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I like this thread.
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TouchMyHonda For This Useful Post:
thill (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #36
thill

Quote:
There are pros and cons to the Arc Audio PS8, as there are pros and cons to every DSP.

FYI, Arc Audio PS8 and Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 (Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate 363 Digital Signal Processor with OEM Integration Capabilities: Car Electronics) use the same Cirrus Logic DSP with very different firmware and DSP algorithms.

There is no perfect DSP, just many choices and trade offs.
Is it safe to say that the MS-8 would be the most straightforward solution for a novice to car audio EQ/tuning?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #37
GaDgeT

From my experience, my 1st MS-8 died with a 'blue light of death' and had to be replaced within the 1st month. A mate of mine who was competing with this DSP had to bypass and disconnect as the remote on powering the amps was causing a loud popping noise on startup. As mentioned, each will have their pros and cons, and you cant run logic 7 on the MS-8 without a center channel installed, but would be an easy install and tune for a 2 way active setup with your imagines + sub
Old 08-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #38
thill

Quote:
From my experience, my 1st MS-8 died with a 'blue light of death' and had to be replaced within the 1st month. A mate of mine who was competing with this DSP had to bypass and disconnect as the remote on powering the amps was causing a loud popping noise on startup. As mentioned, each will have their pros and cons, and you cant run logic 7 on the MS-8 without a center channel installed, but would be an easy install and tune for a 2 way active setup with your imagines + sub
I am going to need to do some more research into this and probably work closely with my installer. He was not keen on the MS-8 either. Said he has had lots of issues with them. I am not afraid to rollup my sleeves and learn if there is good documentation and support out there. I am using some complex software (REW) on my laptop at home to measure my home theater audio. There was some learning curve but a great deal of support out there.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #39
thill

Another thing I am thinking... Should I have the installer wire up for a potential midrange solution for the midrange speaker in the dash? I have read about several folks adding the Legatia L3v2 midrange to their Imagine 2 ways to get a 3 way setup. I am thinking down the road when I add a DSP, it might be nice to have the option of adding a midrage solution and have the installer wire it up so all I have to do is hook up wires to the speaker and DSP/amp??
Old 08-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #40
GaDgeT

im using the alpine DSP - PXA-H800, so far so good, magic box of sparks working its voodoo.. Tuning via Alpine sound manager on the lappy gives you a lot of control over the settings and a half decent GUI to navigate. Got the RUX controller in the glovebox for tuning on the go, but think mounting it below the HU would not only give a physical volume knob within reach and sub control, but more toys to play with on the go.

Research some reviews of all the current DSP's, might be nice to get something with a few extra channels and inputs incase you decide to geek out later down the track
Old 08-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #41
GaDgeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Another thing I am thinking... Should I have the installer wire up for a potential midrange solution for the midrange speaker in the dash? I have read about several folks adding the Legatia L3v2 midrange to their Imagine 2 ways to get a 3 way setup. I am thinking down the road when I add a DSP, it might be nice to have the option of adding a midrage solution and have the installer wire it up so all I have to do is hook up wires to the speaker and DSP/amp??
dont cut any holes until you are certain that center channel / surround is the best option for you. Sadly CDs and MP3s are still recorded in 2ch stereo, using post processing to turn that into a surround sound ie logic 7 on the ms-8 I found that it sent too much info to the center channel and took away stage width when listening to some recordings. Delete your rears, not worth the effort IMO. Run an active 2 way setup with the hybrids and get a 4ch amp to drive them.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #42
thill

Quote:
dont cut any holes until you are certain that center channel / surround is the best option for you. Sadly CDs and MP3s are still recorded in 2ch stereo, using post processing to turn that into a surround sound ie logic 7 on the ms-8 I found that it sent too much info to the center channel and took away stage width when listening to some recordings. Delete your rears, not worth the effort IMO. Run an active 2 way setup with the hybrids and get a 4ch amp to drive them.
Just to be clear, I am just talking about running wires from the existing holes where the stock 3.5 mids reside in the dash to the new dedicated 5 channel amp in case I want to add Hybrid Audio 3.5 mids down the road to the dash to go to a 3 way setup vs 2 way.