follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #2059
hattrickey

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamxplizt View Post
Here are some minor sound clips I made today. Will work on drive by and in cabin sound clips in a bit.
Nice! I see you have the Perrin exhaust. Any other mods? I have full Perrin header back exhaust so I'm trying to get a feel of what mine will sound like when I get it next week.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #2060
teamxplizt

Drives: Seibon Style BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrickey View Post
Nice! I see you have the Perrin exhaust. Any other mods? I have full Perrin header back exhaust so I'm trying to get a feel of what mine will sound like when I get it next week.
Not much modifications just yet. Still trying to feel out the Subaru market for reputable performance upgrades. So far, I have instilled a great deal of trust in Perrin products. I have a 3" Perrin catback exhaust "Resonated", Perrin CAI, and FT86 UEL catted headers. I am a Honda/Acura enthusiast and pretty much know all of the parts to stay away from and the ones to invest in...I am taking my time with this Subaru build, and I think the magic horsepower number is around 350ish. Thanks for looking and I will be sure to post additional sound clip videos when I get a chance.

Aloha,
Ace

The Following User Says Thank You to teamxplizt For This Useful Post:
hattrickey (07-17-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #2061
TONYpepperon1

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So just to be totally clear, you DO NOT need a tune with these headers? I can run the for the life of the car with the stock tune and not have to worry?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #2062
SCharged

Drives: asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONYpepperon1 View Post
So just to be totally clear, you DO NOT need a tune with these headers? I can run the for the life of the car with the stock tune and not have to worry?
There have been rare occurences of check engine lights coming on for a couple of adopters of theses.. Not yet determined what caused the issue, could very well be an install issue. I think there has been two of those on the forum.

But to answer your question, yes, you may run this for the life of the car witout a tune. Your AFR may be slightly on the rich side, which is not a problem in and of itself.

Anyone care to talk about risks of running rich?? maybe carbon buildup?? or is it the other way around?

Last edited by SCharged; 07-18-2014 at 02:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SCharged For This Useful Post:
TONYpepperon1 (07-19-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #2063
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Had the impression that it was the other way around, a little lean.

With no other mods the header can be run without a tune as per first post. Add other modifications and it becomes more complicated as it is difficult to say anything firm with all the possible combinations...
Old 07-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #2064
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCharged View Post
There have been rare occurences of check engine lights coming on for a couple of adopters of theses.. Not yet determined what caused the issue, could very well be an install issue. I think there has been two of those on the forum.

But to answer your question, yes, you may run this for the life of the car witout a tune. Your AFR may be slightly on the rich side, which is not a problem in and of itself.

Anyone care to talk about risks of running rich?? maybe carbon buildup?? or is it the other way around?
Too rich - carbon buildup, an O2 sensor may go out earlier, reduced MPG

Too lean - higher risk of pre-detonation (knock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trettiosjuan View Post
Had the impression that it was the other way around, a little lean.

With no other mods the header can be run without a tune as per first post. Add other modifications and it becomes more complicated as it is difficult to say anything firm with all the possible combinations...

I'd have figured it'd be leaner as well.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #2065
hattrickey

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Too rich - carbon buildup, an O2 sensor may go out earlier, reduced MPG

Too lean - higher risk of pre-detonation (knock)

I'd have figured it'd be leaner as well.
Correct. On post #1895, FT86 Speed Factory had this response to a guy who threw a code because he was running lean. "A P2096 is typically be caused by too many mods without a tune IE intake, full exhaust and etc. Too much air and not enough fuel.

The testing and dynos done were done on a stock car with only the header changed in which everything works great. The CEL that this header should not cause after doing our testing is p0420 which is the one relating to the cat itself.

If you have a heavily modified car with full exhaust, intake, and etc a tune should be something to look into. You will extract even more power and resolve the lack of fuel in certain driving situations."

Based off of this advice, I will be getting a tune.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #2066
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Ran both OFT Stage 1 and Stage 2 this weekend... it felt less torquey running Stage 2. I ended up flashing back to Stage 1 and it feels better (according to butt dyno).

Header-back exhaust only (catted header, catless FP), stock intake with Perrin tube.

Here's a shoddy log on Stage 2 from today... was just testing out the logging feature so not sure if the data's any good. Hopefully someone can interpret it better than I can.

http://www.datazap.me/u/chas3wba0/st...g=0&data=1-2-9

Will do a log for Stage 1 this week. What's the best way to log? Cruise for a bit then a WOT run?
kodyo (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #2067
kodyo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
Ran both OFT Stage 1 and Stage 2 this weekend... it felt less torquey running Stage 2. I ended up flashing back to Stage 1 and it feels better (according to butt dyno).

Header-back exhaust only (catted header, catless FP), stock intake with Perrin tube.

Here's a shoddy log on Stage 2 from today... was just testing out the logging feature so not sure if the data's any good. Hopefully someone can interpret it better than I can.

http://www.datazap.me/u/chas3wba0/st...g=0&data=1-2-9

Will do a log for Stage 1 this week. What's the best way to log? Cruise for a bit then a WOT run?
Did tune improve over stock performance with the FT86SF header at all (either stage 1 or stage 2)?

I plan to go with OFT if I get a CEL after install.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #2068
chas3wba0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
Did tune improve over stock performance with the FT86SF header at all (either stage 1 or stage 2)?

I plan to go with OFT if I get a CEL after install.
Did not test with stock map, as I was already running Stage 1 before I installed the header. OFT Stage 1 was a world of difference from stock (smoother idle and revs, more linear power curve) so I would recommend it whether you get a CEL or not.
CamryDS (07-31-2014), kodyo (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #2069
kodyo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
Did not test with stock map, as I was already running Stage 1 before I installed the header. OFT Stage 1 was a world of difference from stock (smoother idle and revs, more linear power curve) so I would recommend it whether you get a CEL or not.
Ah, ok. I assume at the very least you noticed a decent power gain with the new header over the stock header on stage 1?

If I can find a good price on an OFT, I may go for it.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #2070
chas3wba0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
Ah, ok. I assume at the very least you noticed a decent power gain with the new header over the stock header on stage 1?

If I can find a good price on an OFT, I may go for it.
Tough to say without getting dyno'd. The graphs on the first post show something like a 6hp gain up top, but even that's hard to tell on a butt dyno alone. Not to mention I had a bunch of other exhaust bits + tune installed already, so I likely already got used to the extra torque/power from those.

I would say the most noticeable things from the header are throttle response, rev-happiness, and SOUND

Edit: I take it back. After a few experiments on freeway on-ramps, the car definitely pulls harder up top as well

Last edited by chas3wba0; 07-22-2014 at 01:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chas3wba0 For This Useful Post:
kodyo (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #2071
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
When I installl mine, I'll post the dyno for the new header design. Problem is, I'm not installing til next season. But doesn't look like anyone else is posting dynos for the new ones.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #2072
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
When I installl mine, I'll post the dyno for the new header design. Problem is, I'm not installing til next season. But doesn't look like anyone else is posting dynos for the new ones.
if mine ships this week, I'll have a dyno sheet next week, or the week after.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luis_GT For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (07-21-2014), Turkish (07-24-2014)

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?