follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
rosol16
Not A Member
 
rosol16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Location: Dyess AFB
Posts: 176
Thanks: 72
Thanked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Groaning sound

At about 30mph with wheel turned slightly like less than a degree I get a groaning sound similar to that of a power steering pump if you know what that sounds like. I would assume its not the power steering pump because we have electric steering. I will get a video if I can. It leads me to believe its a wheel hub/bearing?
rosol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
raven1231
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 4,579
Thanks: 8,264
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Did you check your trunk?
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
N1cotine (02-23-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 61,639
Thanks: 54,527
Thanked 90,156 Times in 39,830 Posts
Mentioned: 2242 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosol16 View Post
At about 30mph with wheel turned slightly like less than a degree I get a groaning sound similar to that of a power steering pump if you know what that sounds like. I would assume its not the power steering pump because we have electric steering. I will get a video if I can. It leads me to believe its a wheel hub/bearing?
Any suspension mods? Hit anything? Aftermarket wheels?
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (02-17-2016), rosol16 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
fumanchu1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Location: Gatineau, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,914
Thanks: 422
Thanked 1,248 Times in 801 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
My guess without picture or video/sound to back it up would be in line with tcoat's reasoning. Something must be hitting or rubbing somewhere (check the clearance in the wheel well, and possibly take a look while someone else turns the steering from one end to the other). If that fails you could try to replicate the noise while parked and if able to locate where the noise is coming from.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
rosol16 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 26,803
Thanks: 22,682
Thanked 25,560 Times in 13,894 Posts
Mentioned: 614 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosol16 View Post
At about 30mph with wheel turned slightly like less than a degree I get a groaning sound similar to that of a power steering pump if you know what that sounds like. I would assume its not the power steering pump because we have electric steering. I will get a video if I can. It leads me to believe its a wheel hub/bearing?
Welp, the first thing I would do is check the tires pressures.

Next, I would rotate the wheels, front to back.

While I had the wheels off, I would inspect the brakes for a dragging pad and see if I had a lose caliper.

Also, check for a lose wheel bearing.

If none of that fixed it, I would have the alignment checked.

All that is ....... what I would really do, is take it up to my local auto shop and have them find and fix it .......... while I went next door and had a burger.......


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
rosol16 (02-18-2016), Tcoat (02-17-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
rosol16
Not A Member
 
rosol16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Location: Dyess AFB
Posts: 176
Thanks: 72
Thanked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So all stock everything suspension and wheel wise. Clearance is plenty everywhere. I can't replicate it while parked you have to be moving and it only occurs at 29-31mph. I can't get the noise at any other speeds. I live on base so most of my driving is 30 as that's the speed limit for all but a few roads. When I get a chance Ill rotate them then alignment would be my last resort. I don't have a garage or jack/stands and you can't do maintenance in the on base parking lots anyway so will have to borrow a buddy's driveway/garage for a day. I recently just purchased a Honda Grom so I've been riding that a lot recently so no real hurry to go spend money on an alignment.
rosol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
fumanchu1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Location: Gatineau, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,914
Thanks: 422
Thanked 1,248 Times in 801 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welp, the first thing I would do is check the tires pressures.

Next, I would rotate the wheels, front to back.

While I had the wheels off, I would inspect the brakes for a dragging pad and see if I had a lose caliper.

Also, check for a lose wheel bearing.

If none of that fixed it, I would have the alignment checked.

All that is ....... what I would really do, is take it up to my local auto shop and have them find and fix it .......... while I went next door and had a burger.......


humfrz
CAn't tell if lying(first part) or temporary moment of senility. I approve of the latter method, burgers are great
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 26,803
Thanks: 22,682
Thanked 25,560 Times in 13,894 Posts
Mentioned: 614 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
CAn't tell if lying(first part) or temporary moment of senility. I approve of the latter method, burgers are great
The first part is what I "think" should be done (by "someone") to try to identify the problem.

The second part is the way "I" would take care if the problem ......

I may have "brain farts" and "senior moments" ........ but, I am NOT ........ NOT .......... what were we talking about ....... ??




humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #9
fumanchu1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Location: Gatineau, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,914
Thanks: 422
Thanked 1,248 Times in 801 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
The first part is what I "think" should be done (by "someone") to try to identify the problem.

The second part is the way "I" would take care if the problem ......

I may have "brain farts" and "senior moments" ........ but, I am NOT ........ NOT .......... what were we talking about ....... ??




humfrz
Pretty sure we were talking about burgers rofl
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
Pat.Thornton
Member
 
Pat.Thornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014' 86
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 97
Thanks: 723
Thanked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I had a similar issue last year after the winter. I was driving on complete sheets of black ice and I ended up hitting a curb very lightly with a front wheel(luckily I had steelies on). After this incident I had very similar problems. Over 30ish mph it would make a vibrating feeling/ groaning noise when I turned to the right. It turned out to be a wheel bearing that I had to have replaced, and everything works great now. Hope this helps you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pat.Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pat.Thornton For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-18-2016), humfrz (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #11
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 26,803
Thanks: 22,682
Thanked 25,560 Times in 13,894 Posts
Mentioned: 614 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat.Thornton View Post
I had a similar issue last year after the winter. I was driving on complete sheets of black ice and I ended up hitting a curb very lightly with a front wheel(luckily I had steelies on). After this incident I had very similar problems. Over 30ish mph it would make a vibrating feeling/ groaning noise when I turned to the right. It turned out to be a wheel bearing that I had to have replaced, and everything works great now. Hope this helps you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another vote for a bad wheel bearing.

@rosol16 have you , or any other driver, whacked your car's wheels against a curb lately .... ??


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Pat.Thornton (02-18-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
rosol16
Not A Member
 
rosol16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Location: Dyess AFB
Posts: 176
Thanks: 72
Thanked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Another vote for a bad wheel bearing.

@rosol16 have you , or any other driver, whacked your car's wheels against a curb lately .... ??


humfrz
Negative sir have never hit anything well other than my actual accident but this sound is recent I've had the car for about a month from the body shop and it(the sound)only occurred like within the past week
rosol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #13
extrashaky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Location: USA
Posts: 3,987
Thanks: 1,083
Thanked 5,523 Times in 2,227 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My bet is just road noise. These cars make a lot of sounds, most of which are best ignored.

Can you post a recording of this groaning?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #14
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 26,803
Thanks: 22,682
Thanked 25,560 Times in 13,894 Posts
Mentioned: 614 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosol16 View Post
Negative sir have never hit anything well other than my actual accident but this sound is recent I've had the car for about a month from the body shop and it(the sound)only occurred like within the past week
Could your accident have messed up the suspension/wheel bearings/hub ..... ??

I'll still tend to think you have a bad wheel bearing/hub......


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Pat.Thornton (02-23-2016)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does this sound deal sound decent ? awhatzable Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 29 11-21-2015 10:02 AM
What is this sound? trsiidno Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 5 01-14-2015 06:04 PM
Drone (Worn Wheel Bearing SOund) Sound From Rear qbzee007 AFRICA 8 11-14-2014 01:04 AM
Groaning from Front End when Traction Lost Tt3Sheppard Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 7 02-08-2014 04:35 PM
South Sound Summer Jam 2013 | 8.18.13 | South Sound Speedway RussellM Northwest 13 09-05-2013 09:57 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.