follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
PurpleSpaceShip

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Steering column, tilt and telescope adjuster lock

Hi,

My tilt and telescope lock is acting up i dont know what happened but in some positions it dont wanna lock up.
I was thinking replacing the whole assembly with the motor and the lock.

Has anyone ran into similar issue or had steering column replaced? will it require the key reprogramming? my car is push start and i have sourced the push start assembly.

What im asking i guess is this a direct replacement bunch of screws and wires take off put back on job?

Thanks
PurpleSpaceShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
swap the electronic steering lock mechanism from the old column to the new column to avoid needing reprogramming. you’ll need to improvise a removal method since it uses a security bolt that shears after install. cutting a slot in the bolt head and using a hammer and chisel to loosen it is the easiest method I’ve seen.

otherwise the swap is straightforward. be careful with the airbag and clock spring.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:17 PM   #3
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Use a hammer and chisel to loosen it . . . otherwise the swap is straightforward.
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:22 PM   #4
pope
has a funny hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
What?

after the bolt is torqued at the factory, the head breaks apart leaving a nearly smooth dome bolt head securing the steering lock mechanism. Cutting a groove and then using a chisel or punch and against the edge of the groove and hammering it loose was the easiest method I found (here on the forum) when I swapped my column.
The alternative would be drilling and extracting.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #5
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
What?
I'm not disagreeing with you. When dealing with a security fastener, a BFH and a cold chisel aren't a bad option. It's just that, considering some of the other delicate pieces nearby, it kind of reminded me of the lyric from the Eagles song "Hotel California": This could be heaven or this could be hell.
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
pope
has a funny hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you. When dealing with a security fastener, a BFH and a cold chisel aren't a bad option. It's just that, considering some of the other delicate pieces nearby, it kind of reminded me of the lyric from the Eagles song "Hotel California": This could be heaven or this could be hell.
fair enough.
I stripped the column and did the work out of the car (well, the second time anyway), so the delicate bits weren’t there at the time. i probably could have included that in the description of the process…
Old 04-27-2021, 03:08 AM   #7
PurpleSpaceShip

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
swap the electronic steering lock mechanism from the old column to the new column to avoid needing reprogramming. you’ll need to improvise a removal method since it uses a security bolt that shears after install. cutting a slot in the bolt head and using a hammer and chisel to loosen it is the easiest method I’ve seen.

otherwise the swap is straightforward. be careful with the airbag and clock spring.
would it be easier to just weld the fucking locking mechanism in place? considering im the only person who drives this car anyways and i already have my favorite seating position and racing seat.
PurpleSpaceShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #8
pope
has a funny hat

Could you permanently position the column? Probably, but that's personal preference kind of decision.

Pulling the column isn't all that hard, all things considered. Assuming you have a basic set of hand tools and a working knowledge of safe airbag handling, the actual removal of the column does not take long. The column itself, from the assist motor to the steering wheel, is two parts and the tilt portion can be pulled without removing the assist motor half.

If you pull the knee plate and column plastic, you will be able to see the tilt mechanism. You might be able to see and fix the problem. The knee plate is secured with screws under the cluster surround, behind the dash end plate, and under the dash. The column plastics clip together and are held in place with two screws behind the steering wheel at 9&3. Your best easy option is to turn the car on, rotate the wheel to access the screws, turn the car off, and disconnect the battery, then wait 5-10 minutes for the airbag to de-energize before popping the plastics and looking for the source of the tilt troubles.

Aside from the airbag (danger) and the security bolt on the steering lock (P.I.T.A.) removing the column is straight forward. Only a couple bolts. The wiring is mostly contained in a plastic channel mounted by a couple expanding nubs and can be dropped free once the connectors are unplugged. IIRC the clockspring is screwed to the turn/wiper switch assembly, the turn/wiper is held on by a tension spring. I can go into more explicit detail about airbag/steering wheel/clockspring removal if necessary.

With the column stripped, you can undo the two nuts closest to the tilt mechanism, release the tilt lever, slide the column off the studs, and separate the top half of the column from the motor assist half.