follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2021, 01:29 AM   #1
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Drives: Track BRZ - Supercharged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Leak / PCV Puzzle

hello, I'll try and keep this succinct. looking for help on tracking down an issue or two. trying to figure out where the oil is coming from, because its all over, and i can't make sense of what the source issue is. ill get it eventually but i would love some input from (hopefully) more experienced folks.

full album: https://imgur.com/a/nMjv6vW
  • 2014 brz, 65k. NA, headers and e85 tune, but in process of installing JRSC kit
  • car is tracked a lot. ran find last season. no noticeable oil consumption. but i changed oil often and an accusump could mask this
  • doing Direct injector service
  • found the following concerning things

oil was found:

all around the PCV valve area. wettest just below the PCV valve in areas circled (not sure what to call it exactly) oil residue also in areas above PCV where it would not flow "uphill". if its vapor laden blowby gasses escaping from the PCV tubing, perhaps thats explaining the spread?

oil residue also found around the breather hose on the top of the intake manifold. i had wiped most of it off here already. it was fairly damp.

oil residue also found on back of intake manifold, and on intake manifold underside as well (not a whole lot here, but noticeable)

lots of oil residue inside intake manifold. each port pretty much looked like this. the inner walls are not 'wet' despite looking like droplets but can be wiped off with a rag. the gasket area is definitely wet. how normal is this? certainly does not look ideal - but this is my first time pulling an intake manifold

POV from throttle body looking inside intake manifold, you can see what appears to be oil splatter pattern as if oil was flowing into manifold from air intake. or maybe coming in from pcv hose and just making an instant U turn to hit the back wall?

breather hose port in the air intake tube from driver front PCV(CCV?) system, showing oil leaking into it, and patterns of it being drawn in

pics of catch can that was on the car when i bought it (bought the car last year) hose to manifold was slightly kinked but not shut as far as i know. the hose going to PCV valve did not seem like the best connection (hose was cut crooked) never more than a tablespoon of oil in the catch can after several track days and hundreds of miles.

all intake ports looked like this pretty much

also one direct injector tip was oily

what does it all mean? thanks for any input. i have not done any compression or leakdown tests. until now no reason to even consider one

I'm thinking my crankcase pressures, meaning vacuums, are wonky. I am not sure why there would be oil leaking into the air intake like that unless for some reason that is pulling a strong vacuum, which as far as i know isn't supposed to happen

maybe accusump is causing overfilling and resulting in a lot of extra blow by?

could it be possible that oem pcv valve has failed?

Last edited by jacobe38; 04-18-2021 at 12:37 PM.
jacobe38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:13 AM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Get a better catch can setup for sure. You've got lots of blow by for some reason. Leak-down seems prudent

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (04-18-2021), NoHaveMSG (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 02:39 AM   #3
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Get a better catch can setup for sure. You've got lots of blow by for some reason. Leak-down seems prudent

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
i was considering the radium dual can setup, since apparently i'm getting blow by on the ccv side too. but so far i agree that leak down might be in order...
Old 04-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Get a leak down test before investing another penny.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Get a leak down test before investing another penny.
I think I will. Looking at which adapter to get, our thread diameter is 12mm right?
Old 04-20-2021, 12:05 AM   #6
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

bump if anybody else has input
Old 04-22-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Two of the most common oil leaks (which I recently have now) is the Cam plate and Timing Chain cover.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #8
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
Two of the most common oil leaks (which I recently have now) is the Cam plate and Timing Chain cover.
ive read about those, but neither of these leaks could produce oil on top of the block like i have here.

right now my money is on the PCV connection.

hopefully this has been caused by weird crankcase pressures, hypothetically due to the mishimoto catch can. if that isnt it, i then most likely have a really bad blowby problem, and im also looking at doing a leakdown test to try and rule that out.

Last edited by jacobe38; 04-22-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #9
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe38 View Post
ive read about those, but neither of these leaks could produce oil on top of the block like i have here.

right now my money is on the PCV connection.

hopefully this has been caused by weird crankcase pressures, hypothetically due to the mishimoto catch can. if that isnt it, i then most likely have a really bad blowby problem, and im also looking at doing a leakdown test to try and rule that out.

I have the same oil catch can. Finally emptied it after 2 years and it was 1/3 full.

I'm boosted and haven't seen oil around that area on mine.

Try to do a vacuum test (using a smoke/fog machine). When going boosted, you want to replace that PCV valve with an STI one since stock can't handle it. Mine wasn't seated correctly (by me) because it's a tight area and I couldn't get to it. Took it to a shop and they smoke test it to find it, they had a hard time tightening it as well but got it done.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:23 PM   #10
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

update, pulled the plugs, and took some pics of the piston heads. 3/4 of the plugs had an oily base, tips look fine as far as i know. all piston heads had this same damp-ish appearance. hoping to hear back from the injector servicer that they were leaking and thus explaining damp piston tops. still haven't done the leakdown yet

Old 04-26-2021, 11:25 PM   #11
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
I have the same oil catch can. Finally emptied it after 2 years and it was 1/3 full.

I'm boosted and haven't seen oil around that area on mine.

Try to do a vacuum test (using a smoke/fog machine). When going boosted, you want to replace that PCV valve with an STI one since stock can't handle it. Mine wasn't seated correctly (by me) because it's a tight area and I couldn't get to it. Took it to a shop and they smoke test it to find it, they had a hard time tightening it as well but got it done.
thx for the reply

PCV valve is getting replaced but just oem. the jackson racing kit has an in-line check valve to handle the extra pressures included. so the plan is to just install as they intended. at tuners recommendation
Old 05-03-2021, 11:53 PM   #12
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

update: replaced the PCV valve, and the brand new valve had a much more freely moving valve inside than the existing one. the new one will move around when simply turning it upside down, the old one has to be forcibly shaken to get movement. i'm not sure if that is significant or not. by comparison, it felt like the old one was gunked up or something. i can't say if it was 'out of spec', but it would surely be more difficult for a pressure difference to actuate it, especially through a catch can. maybe that helps point toward a faulty PCV being my issue. Either way it was interesting to see the difference between mine and a brand new one. figured i'd share that.

for now i'm deleting the catch can and using a new PCV to see how things go. no leakdown or compression yet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jacobe38 For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-04-2021), botbs (04-03-2022), DarkPira7e (05-04-2021), Ultramaroon (05-04-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #13
Brz-123

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How is it holding up now? And have you installed the SC?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Brz-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:08 PM   #14
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe38 View Post
update: replaced the PCV valve, and the brand new valve had a much more freely moving valve inside than the existing one. the new one will move around when simply turning it upside down, the old one has to be forcibly shaken to get movement. i'm not sure if that is significant or not. by comparison, it felt like the old one was gunked up or something. i can't say if it was 'out of spec', but it would surely be more difficult for a pressure difference to actuate it, especially through a catch can. maybe that helps point toward a faulty PCV being my issue. Either way it was interesting to see the difference between mine and a brand new one. figured i'd share that.

for now i'm deleting the catch can and using a new PCV to see how things go. no leakdown or compression yet.

Any updates ?
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote