follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

View Poll Results: How would you rate the design of the 2nd gen 86? 1 lowest & 5 highest
1 10 3.86%
2 17 6.56%
3 49 18.92%
4 113 43.63%
5 70 27.03%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #239
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Ultimately, it looks like I'll be a 1 Generation owner of the 86.

There's not enough positive difference here for me to want a second gen, although I do like the Toyota better than the Subaru.

I'm with @Tcoat on the side profile negatives, and obviously that isn't where they could distinguish the models.

No surprise really though, I can think of only one time I've replaced a specific car model with the same model, and that was with the family hauler (Chevy Astro).

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (04-09-2021), Lantanafrs2 (04-08-2021), Vides990 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #240
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The86Minister View Post
Looks even better than the GT86 and also happy to see that it will be released in Europe.

In my case the "problem" would be the lack of equipment compared to my current car (fully-equipped Camry). Would definitely consider one if there would be a high-end version with JBL, electrically adjusted seats/steering wheel, HUD etc, highly doubt it tho.

You are describing a 3.0 Premium Supra. BTW, the JBL sucks in the Supra. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackhawkdown For This Useful Post:
kmbkk (04-08-2021), Vides990 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #241
RetroRacer

Drives: 2007 WRX STI, 1991 Acura NSX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Bunch of poser internet keyboard warriors

Everything I stated was a fact, you girls simply are jealous little bitches.

Literally act like 12 year olds, who live with your parents. I’ve been modding/racing cars longer than you little millennials have been alive. Hope to see you all at one of the nationwide gatherings or meets, oh wait I forgot you stay at home because your scared of the fake Plandemic

You should see my inbox messages from multiple people who thanked me for speaking up against you TCoat, about they’ve never liked you but don’t want to say anything as they know you’ll stalk them to and harass them. You’re an internet bully, but a fucking ***** in real life.

I’ve since moved over to another forum anyhow which is full of adults who can have actual discussions, and different opinions, not high school tweeny bopper BS that goes on here.

Keep harassing people who dare to have different opinions than yourself, you’re the epitome of an internet keyboard warrior. Look at how many posts you have lmfao, you DONT EVEN WORK, you spend all day on this forum, you have no life, literally

You won’t have to worry about my facts & opinions that get your panties in a bunch any longer, I will never return here at all after this post to read or engage any further. Now go ahead with more pointless posts against me that I won’t ever read, but will give you nerds the internet attention you so deeply care about!

RetroRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #242
Transport3r

Drives: -
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroRacer View Post
oh wait I forgot you stay at home because your scared of the fake Plandemic
Transport3r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Transport3r For This Useful Post:
drew_kar (04-08-2021), Jordanwolf (04-08-2021), KR-S (04-08-2021), PulsarBeeerz (04-09-2021), Red-86 (04-14-2021), soundman98 (04-08-2021), spike021 (04-09-2021), Tcoat (04-08-2021), Vides990 (04-08-2021), Yoshoobaroo (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #243
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:

Literally act like 12 year olds, who live with your parents. I’ve been modding/racing cars longer than you little millennials have been alive. Hope to see you all at one of the nationwide gatherings or meets, oh wait I forgot you stay at home because your scared of the fake Plandemic

You should see my inbox messages from multiple people who thanked me for speaking up against you TCoat, about they’ve never liked you but don’t want to say anything as they know you’ll stalk them to and harass them. You’re an internet bully, but a fucking ***** in real life.

I’ve since moved over to another forum anyhow which is full of adults who can have actual discussions, and different opinions, not high school tweeny bopper BS that goes on here.

Keep harassing people who dare to have different opinions than yourself, you’re the epitome of an internet keyboard warrior. Look at how many posts you have lmfao, you DONT EVEN WORK, you spend all day on this forum, you have no life, literally

You won’t have to worry about my facts & opinions that get your panties in a bunch any longer, I will never return here at all after this post to read or engage any further. Now go ahead with more pointless posts against me that I won’t ever read, but will give you nerds the internet attention you so deeply care about!

And now I truly believe you don't have any of the cars you claim to own.

Posting the image again because it's now even more relevant to your drivel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-08-2021), spike021 (04-09-2021), Transport3r (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #244
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
What would you do if your FRS died and could not reasonably be fixed (too great a cost or catastrophic frame damage)? Would you find a used Gen 1 or get something entirely different?
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #245
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

You should see my inbox messages from multiple people who thanked me for speaking up against you TCoat, about they’ve never liked you but don’t want to say anything as they know you’ll stalk them to and harass them
. You’re an internet bully, but a fucking ***** in real life.

A bunch of snowflakes that gather together is called a blizzard!
KR-S (04-08-2021), soundman98 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #246
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S View Post
And now I truly believe you don't have any of the cars you claim to own.

Posting the image again because it's now even more relevant to your drivel.
But he has said he does about 20 times!
KR-S (04-08-2021), soundman98 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 07:29 PM   #247
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
I just find it strange he's so adamant about the second-gen now since he has yet to drive the car.

Quote:
Waited most the day to reply fully. But here is my worthless .02

First off, I’m very happy this car was made at all, the fact they still build these types of cars for us should be commended, especially with a manual transmission.

As you may know from my previous posts, I sold my Camaro SS to get either a current gen or the new gen if I waited.

What I like:
1) Still under 2900 lbs.
2) Chassis improvements
3) New motor, with a lesser torque dip
4) Improved track mode

What I dislike:
1) the front bumper (headlights look fine, not a fan of the front bumper personally.
2) The side skirts/rocker panels. I feel a cleaner aftermarket design would fit the cleaner lines of the rest of the vehicle.

In short, overall it’s a “good enough” design, but if I had a 2017-20 86/BRZ I’d be happy with what I have and wait.
Stock for stock I feel the 1st Gen is a far cleaner design. No question.

With that said this is by no means a “bad” looking car, but would take more work to look “clean” to me than the current models.

This will be my 3rd car, so I’m going to wait to see the Toyota version, and DRIVE them both before I decide.

Chassis improvements etc sound great on paper, but until I actually drive the car I’m not sold as I expected to be.

I’m going to wait it out for another year until I can experience the car first hand.

Again, very happy with what I see on paper, but to me the styling on the first gen is a far cleaner design stock.

Opinions are a good thing, can’t please everyone but can’t get mad at people for stating their honest opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #248
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post

There's not enough positive difference here for me to want a second gen, although I do like the Toyota better than the Subaru.

I'm with @Tcoat on the side profile negatives, and obviously that isn't where they could distinguish the models.

No surprise really though, I can think of only one time I've replaced a specific car model with the same model, and that was with the family hauler (Chevy Astro).
Astros were good. Probably why gm discontinued them
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #249
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
What would you do if your FRS died and could not reasonably be fixed (too great a cost or catastrophic frame damage)? Would you find a used Gen 1 or get something entirely different?
I'd move on to something else. The something else would depend on what was available at the time at a reasonable price. I'd likely buy used and move up a bit. Something like a C7 or CTS-V if it happened today.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 04-08-2021 at 09:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
mazeroni (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #250
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I always thought that as well. They were a great size, decent performers and could tow well. They even got decent gas mileage for what they were.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #251
JusTheG

Drives: 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5L Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I hate to be the person to provide a dire reality, but just from what I see from the Service and Remanufacturing side from OEM's things are not looking good for cheap service parts for cars from before 2008. I'm hopeful more new cars are coming out with compatible parts that could be retrofitted onto older vehicles based on controller logic and programming, but I can guarantee that you will see a greater premium on Service Parts from 2023 onwards.

Just to clarify without going into detail which parts I see already going End of Life (EOL), there is a lot of Chrysler and GM product that are going towards the next generation and are phasing out the older generation service models as fast as possible. Other OEM's are following suit because of how much more demand current Production Plants have to produce with all the new car sales. Contracts are aiming to require longer Service Build durations, but what OEM's are seeing is a certain threshold for how much quantity they can store to support a vehicle for X amount of years. Once they see the trend, they will see from the Supplier to do a final Build Quantity and then phase out the tooling, production lines, and the associated test protocol. Only a few companies that I had or are currently working with will continue supporting the product, but even then the amount of support will be limited (reflash, debugging, but no full manufacturing).

The silver lining in this situation is that there is some good modern CANbus protocols that can work with older models. I'm sure that Toyota/Subaru with their preferred OEM's (Denso, Bosch, etc.) will have support for the Twins due to compatibility with other Production Models. In terms of structural repair, a body shop will always quote with respect to the labor and material acquisition costs but that is always possible based on Product Drawings and Authorized Production Rights. If people need it and will pay for it, someone will make it.
JusTheG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JusTheG For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-09-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #252
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
wow, that's a lot of passion for a car that isn't currently available to the general public.

i'm enjoying the big rants about us being 12 year olds.

I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I'M 3 AND A HALF.
spike021 (04-09-2021), Tcoat (04-09-2021)