follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #365
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
I'll translate the article. Same old car, 5hp increase. No sti. Merry Christmas.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
But but but...you forgot the prius front end!
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #366
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I can't possibly be the only person in the world that actually likes the stock rims can I?
Yes I said RIMS since I am talking about the hard part in the center.
I liked them much better in person than I thought I would - I don't think they photograph well. I have since replaced them, but only because I got a really good deal (and I've kept the OEM rims for my track tires).
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #367
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
It is probably pretty close even if just a best guess.

Toyota seems to be particularly good at taking a beautiful design and making it progressively uglier with each facelift.

7th Gen Celica is one example, when they moved to a vacuum cleaner snout.
Even the 2002-2006 Camry had this happen. And the Yaris/Echo. And the MR2 Spyder.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #368
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Toyota seems to be particularly good at taking a beautiful design and making it progressively uglier with each facelift.

7th Gen Celica is one example, when they moved to a vacuum cleaner snout.
Even the 2002-2006 Camry had this happen. And the Yaris/Echo. And the MR2 Spyder.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Well in fairness what is "ugly" is pretty subjective and for every person that thinks a change is for the worse there will be somebody that thinks it is a vast improvement. Much of the dislike of a facelift is related to a subconscious resistance to change. People all the time say "the first model of the XXXX looked the best". Much of that is because the first version was new and exciting but facelifts are just not as much fun to see so the original is held as a higher standard. If this facelift came out first and was what everybody was used to then many would think the current version was ugly if the car was changed to it. It is just the way the brain works.
Cosmetic and body designs change based upon market research, trend analysis and current culture and are not just random events. The people that planned the changes do not live in a cave and just throw random shit at the car those changes are well researched and planned for what the current trend is.

Having said all that I am not convinced I like the change but will have to see the real thing before I make up my mind. I can never tell just how good or bad a car's lines look in 2 dimensional pictures so reserve judgement until I can walk around one.
daiheadjai (03-13-2016), wireman957 (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #369
wireman957

Drives: 2015 FR-S MT Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well in fairness what is "ugly" is pretty subjective and for every person that thinks a change is for the worse there will be somebody that thinks it is a vast improvement. Much of the dislike of a facelift is related to a subconscious resistance to change. People all the time say "the first model of the XXXX looked the best". Much of that is because the first version was new and exciting but facelifts are just not as much fun to see so the original is held as a higher standard. If this facelift came out first and was what everybody was used to then many would think the current version was ugly if the car was changed to it. It is just the way the brain works.
Cosmetic and body designs change based upon market research, trend analysis and current culture and are not just random events. The people that planned the changes do not live in a cave and just throw random shit at the car those changes are well researched and planned for what the current trend is.

Having said all that I am not convinced I like the change but will have to see the real thing before I make up my mind. I can never tell just how good or bad a car's lines look in 2 dimensional pictures so reserve judgement until I can walk around one.
Excellent points, @Tcoat. A good analogy might be in the music world. Many bands have had incredible, and well-received 1st albums for which they had years to write and lots of material to pick from. Think of how many sophomore albums have been less well-received...mostly due to a more compressed time frame in which to produce them and having the bar set by their first. Only a very few bands have been successful at re-inventing themselves throughout their career to the point that everything after the breakthrough album was considered as good or better. There are a lot of one hit wonders but not a lot whose later efforts are as much appreciated as the first.
Tcoat (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #370
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman957 View Post
Excellent points, @Tcoat. A good analogy might be in the music world. Many bands have had incredible, and well-received 1st albums for which they had years to write and lots of material to pick from. Think of how many sophomore albums have been less well-received...mostly due to a more compressed time frame in which to produce them and having the bar set by their first. Only a very few bands have been successful at re-inventing themselves throughout their career to the point that everything after the breakthrough album was considered as good or better. There are a lot of one hit wonders but not a lot whose later efforts are as much appreciated as the first.
That works very well actually.
There are really two major ways that people can accept change in music or cars.

Little change from the original with the base remaining pretty true over the years but taking new tech into account.

=

Or

Stick to one theme for a handful of years and then totally redesign with just hints at the past incarnation.

=

Otherwise people just tend to go for what is really new and fresh but give up on it when it changes to much.

=

Juvenile (03-13-2016), wireman957 (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #371
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I also love the stock rims and I believe they suit the car the best. A lot of aftermarket rims make the car look cheaper. Toyota/Subaru designed a great matching wheel for our cars.

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:48 PM   #372
Argoss

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Argoss Send a message via AIM to Argoss Send a message via Yahoo to Argoss
Freedom of connections: dating for open relationships

No strings attached dating, no promises
Actual Women
Old 03-13-2024, 10:39 AM   #373
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argoss View Post
No strings attached dating, no promises
Actual Women