follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #29
azonic

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
here's a short guide I wrote recently on the center console USB mod

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126106
azonic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to azonic For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-27-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #30
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
These are available on ebay with free shipping for $679

EDIT: Nevermind, those are the 917s...
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:14 AM   #31
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,291 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Got my DDX918WS installed in my '17 BRZ recently using the Carbon Car Systems harness and, as many have reported on the DDX917WS thread, my backup camera didn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
I have the carbon harness as well, but my issue was with the backup cam. They were adamant the 6v/12v converter was not required but my camera did not work until I got a local shop to inspect the harness and add a converter.

I would not be surprised if the issue is with your harness.
In fact, for me the camera did work when the engine was off, but was showing a black screen when the engine was running. It caused me a few WTFs and re-doing the installation a few more times than I should have. I eventually figured it had something to do with the voltage: when the engine was off and the voltage was in the 10–12V range the camera worked, but at 14V it would stop working.

Having done a little more research and with help from my friend (I know you're reading this — thank you again!) we've inserted a PAC VOLT-39 (available on Amazon) set to 6V in between the head unit and accessories harness — and now everything just works!

Since I know how frustrating it can be to deal with this, I've decided to share the details of what we did. You should be proficient with a soldering iron, and have everything needed for soldering readily available. Also, no guarantees that it will work for other MYs — use your own judgement/intuition and be prepared to improvise.

1) Find the camera/accessory power and ground on the 28-pin connector on the CCS harness and the red and black wires connected to those pins. You might find this post with pin out table for MY16 useful.

Here's how it looked on my harness:

2) Undo the cloth insulation around the cables leading to the connector to have at least 2 inches of cables exposed.

3) Cut the power and the ground wires in the middle of the exposed area and solder the VOLT-39 cables like this:
- VOLT-39 black cable to harness ground (Y-shaped connection)
- VOLT-39 red (~12V power in) and blue (trigger) cables to the head unit side half of the harness red cable (Y-shaped connection)
- VOLT-39 red-and-white (6V power out) cable to the connector side half of the harness red cable

Like this:

Minor correction: now that I know the result, I'd solder the VOLT-39's black cable the other way around so that it has a bit less mechanical stress when the VOLT-39 itself is taped to the harness. Not a big deal though.

4) Enjoy!
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
wolffbite (10-09-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #32
BA9092
Captain Slow

Drives: '18 BRZ Limited PP 6MT ISM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Got my DDX918WS installed in my '17 BRZ recently using the Carbon Car Systems harness and, as many have reported on the DDX917WS thread, my backup camera didn't work.

In fact, for me the camera did work when the engine was off, but was showing a black screen when the engine was running. It caused me a few WTFs and re-doing the installation a few more times than I should have. I eventually figured it had something to do with the voltage: when the engine was off and the voltage was in the 10–12V range the camera worked, but at 14V it would stop working.

Having done a little more research and with help from my friend (I know you're reading this — thank you again!) we've inserted a PAC VOLT-39 (available on Amazon) set to 6V in between the head unit and accessories harness — and now everything just works!

Since I know how frustrating it can be to deal with this, I've decided to share the details of what we did. You should be proficient with a soldering iron, and have everything needed for soldering readily available. Also, no guarantees that it will work for other MYs — use your own judgement/intuition and be prepared to improvise.

1) Find the camera/accessory power and ground on the 28-pin connector on the CCS harness and the red and black wires connected to those pins. You might find this post with pin out table for MY16 useful.

Here's how it looked on my harness:

2) Undo the cloth insulation around the cables leading to the connector to have at least 2 inches of cables exposed.

3) Cut the power and the ground wires in the middle of the exposed area and solder the VOLT-39 cables like this:
- VOLT-39 black cable to harness ground (Y-shaped connection)
- VOLT-39 red (~12V power in) and blue (trigger) cables to the head unit side half of the harness red cable (Y-shaped connection)
- VOLT-39 red-and-white (6V power out) cable to the connector side half of the harness red cable

Like this:

Minor correction: now that I know the result, I'd solder the VOLT-39's black cable the other way around so that it has a bit less mechanical stress when the VOLT-39 itself is taped to the harness. Not a big deal though.

4) Enjoy!
Resurrecting this thread since I just got the DDX919WS and the plug-n-play Carbon Car Systems harness for my '18 BRZ and having issues with the rear view camera.

The CCS harness already came with the PAC Volt-39 unit already attached and taped in the loom.

Everything works perfectly with the exception of the rear view camera. It works in ACC on mode but not when the engine is running.

Since everything is Tesa taped together, I can't see if the Volt-39 wires are attached as they should be (like in your photo above.)

Any ideas?
BA9092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #33
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA9092 View Post

Any ideas?
Replied in the other thread where you've asked the same question.
Consider not resurrecting multiple threads at once with a question that can be answered in just one of them
BA9092 (11-25-2019)
Old 06-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #34
timurrrr

Exciting news!

I stumbled upon these instructions on how to run RaceChrono via Android Auto, and it seems to work:

The short version is:
  • Have a rooted Android phone (buy a $90 Motorola E5 if you don't want to root your primary phone, or if it's an iPhone)
  • Use AA Stream to cast your phone display on the head unit
  • Keep the phone screen on (inconvenient, but not a big deal)

I'll try that at my next track day and report how well it works. So far I did a few "laps" around my block and it worked fine.
chaoskaze (07-08-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #35
timurrrr

I tried it at the track yesterday and boy I wish I found that hack earlier!
Here's a video from my helmet, you can see the head unit in action:

The initial setup is a little finicky, and "force fullscreen" doesn't work reliably (works ok if I turn it off), so I have to leave small gaps on the side of the screen. But other than that the apps worked really well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Bobharp (07-07-2020), Copy (09-11-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 03:52 AM   #36
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@timurrrr have you tried Screen2Auto? That app includes AAStream and AAMirror features and is recently updated... would possibly work better

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...phone-t4062787
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Compelica For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 04:19 AM   #37
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
@timurrrr have you tried Screen2Auto? That app includes AAStream and AAMirror features and is recently updated... would possibly work better

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...phone-t4062787
Thanks for the recommendation!

I've just tried it and it seems to work better, at least the "plug and go" scenario.

The app itself needed some tinkering to get it working the way I want though. But now it utilizes the whole screen, which is nice.

It also periodically shows up a "Failed to connect to <my car name>" message, but I haven't noticed any real issues around it.

Will take it for a spin next time I'm at the track/AutoX!
Old 07-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #38
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation!

I've just tried it and it seems to work better, at least the "plug and go" scenario.

The app itself needed some tinkering to get it working the way I want though. But now it utilizes the whole screen, which is nice.

It also periodically shows up a "Failed to connect to <my car name>" message, but I haven't noticed any real issues around it.

Nice work!
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:11 AM   #39
timurrrr

Quote:
Works great, except I keep accidentally pressing the "green phone" button on the steering wheel while on track, which opens the Phone app
I remember I disabled that button mapping before, it's strange that it got reset somehow...

Anyhow, on this video you can see me leaving the Phone app and opening RaceChrono via Android Auto while setting a PB on a racetrack

The data comes from a DIY CAN reader but OBD-II would be a good starting point if you're not into DIY stuff.