follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2017, 02:00 AM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As long as your car is parked in your driveway, this should prevent theft (most of the time).

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:19 AM   #16
Roth

Drives: 2013 Gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigVM View Post
Most importantly,

As the years go by, the cars you own will come and go but you will only have one Mom. Make amends if at all possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
So you have a loan, are driving / storing the car uninsured until March, and cannot even get insurance.

Sell the car. Buy one when you can legally do what you need to.

Words of wisdom.
You can sell the car, enjoy the extra cash during the winter and get another one later.

Btw, as you ask about anti-theft systems. I would consider a main battery switch, hidden somewhere behind the dash. And remember that ALL the anti-theft systems make only the thieves using extra time for their "job". If they want to take something, and they have time, they will.
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #17
becausethexo

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all of your help guys!

Basically for all of the insurance advice, I don't have a choice. I don't live with my mother anymore and can't stay on her insurance at my own address. G1 drivers in Canada (beginner drivers) must be on Fully Licensed drivers insurance policy.

So I'm pretty sure no one will even offer me theft/fire or comprehensive coverage. Would any Canadians in here know?

Also, selling seems odd, it's my dream car and I just got it last year. It's just basically 3 more months (before I can get my full license and insurance). Selling this and re-buying a car in March would cost me thousands extra (assuming I'm re-buying the same car back). When I bought the car I didn't think I'd be moving out so soon and thought I'd be able to stay on my Mom's insurance during the duration, things changed.

As for removing the insurance breaking my loan agreement, you mean with the dealership or the bank? That's interesting, haven't heard that before and don't think they'd even have any idea.
becausethexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #18
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trovez View Post
Thanks for all of your help guys!

Basically for all of the insurance advice, I don't have a choice. I don't live with my mother anymore and can't stay on her insurance at my own address. G1 drivers in Canada (beginner drivers) must be on Fully Licensed drivers insurance policy.

So I'm pretty sure no one will even offer me theft/fire or comprehensive coverage. Would any Canadians in here know?

Also, selling seems odd, it's my dream car and I just got it last year. It's just basically 3 more months (before I can get my full license and insurance). Selling this and re-buying a car in March would cost me thousands extra (assuming I'm re-buying the same car back). When I bought the car I didn't think I'd be moving out so soon and thought I'd be able to stay on my Mom's insurance during the duration, things changed.

As for removing the insurance breaking my loan agreement, you mean with the dealership or the bank? That's interesting, haven't heard that before and don't think they'd even have any idea.
Do you realize that you will likely be paying around 5K annually for full coverage once you get your full license? Can you afford that?

If I was in your shoes, I would likely sell it and drive a beater for a few years. You can always buy another down the road. If you choose to keep it I would recommend a secured storage locker facility until you can afford the insurance.

The bank owns the car, not you. Miss a few payments and they will for sure. You are required to have full coverage.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #19
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Manual transmission.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #20
becausethexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Do you realize that you will likely be paying around 5K annually for full coverage once you get your full license? Can you afford that?

If I was in your shoes, I would likely sell it and drive a beater for a few years. You can always buy another down the road. If you choose to keep it I would recommend a secured storage locker facility until you can afford the insurance.

The bank owns the car, not you. Miss a few payments and they will for sure. You are required to have full coverage.
I don't follow. Miss a few payments... for the car or insurance? I will still be paying for the car during these 3 months, just not driving it. I'm also 26, after 25 insurance is supposed to be cheaper, I'm not a 18yo G1 driver.

I just bought it this year on a 70month loan agreement.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #21
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
You need to check the fine print. You are required to have insurance on the vehicle if you are still paying on it. At least that is the consensus for the US. It’s to protect the bank that has the title to your car in case anything happens to it. It’s not really yours until you pay it off.

The alternative is to send me a picture of your mom and her phone number. Maybe I can sort this out for you.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #22
becausethexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride86 View Post
You need to check the fine print. You are required to have insurance on the vehicle if you are still paying on it. At least that is the consensus for the US. It’s to protect the bank that has the title to your car in case anything happens to it. It’s not really yours until you pay it off.

The alternative is to send me a picture of your mom and her phone number. Maybe I can sort this out for you.
And what do they do if someone doesn't have insurance?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #23
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Like I said before, you need to check the fine print on your finance contract. It should tell you what would happen. You could put your loan in jeopardy. I've heard that they could impose some sort of additional coverage to your principal that you will have to pay. It's very expensive.

Do you have to turn in plates if you have no insurance? I know in MD you would have to.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joyride86 For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #24
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't follow. Miss a few payments... for the car or insurance? I will still be paying for the car during these 3 months, just not driving it. I'm also 26, after 25 insurance is supposed to be cheaper, I'm not a 18yo G1 driver.

If you miss a few payments the bank will repo it. It's not really yours until it's paid off. So, you're required to have it insured as long as you are making payments.

I assumed you were way younger. What took you so long to get your license?
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #25
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
And what do they do if someone doesn't have insurance?
Basically give you bank insurance at a substantially high rate and wrap it into your car payments.

Gd 26 and can't even get your own insurance? Lol.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #26
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

You insurance would go down at 25 IF you have had your license and been driving for 9 years (presuming starting the process at 16). You have not. The insurance rates are a combination of many things including experience and history. Since you have neither it will still be very, very, very high. Add your location into the mix and I doubt it would be an amount I would want to pay.

You should be able to get fire, theft and comprehensive without a full license. You just won't be able to drive it. Have you even spoke to your insurance company? They can answer this better than anybody here.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #27
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You insurance would go down at 25 IF you have had your license and been driving for 9 years (presuming starting the process at 16). You have not. The insurance rates are a combination of many things including experience and history. Since you have neither it will still be very, very, very high. Add your location into the mix and I doubt it would be an amount I would want to pay.

You should be able to get fire, theft and comprehensive without a full license. You just won't be able to drive it. Have you even spoke to your insurance company? They can answer this better than anybody here.
Agreed. Call your insurance company and talk to them.

If I look at my policy paperwork, it does have a note about their being a leinholder. The insurance company knows it's car bought with a loan. I believe they notify the leinholder if it is cancelled. I would expect that Toyota Credit (assuming you financed through Subaru dealer) will shortly send an angry letter to you.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #28
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Don't be surprised that if you try to drop insurance, the insurance company or bank are going to ask for proof of a new policy. It's not like these guys don't know the car has a loan out and who the companies involved are. They all talk, and things don't typically just "slip by".

As Tcoat said, call your agent. Explain the situation. They will be the ultimate authority on what can or cannot be done. The bank has requirements that they know about, and can guide you correctly based on that. For instance, my loan requires both general liability and comprehensive specifically, so if I were to drop general I'd be in breach (even if I weren't driving).

TL;DR This is essentially legal advice at this point that you're seeking. Never take legal advice from the internet.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote