follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Forgot to sign my 1040 for my tax return

they sent it back with a green form on top telling me to sign it and resend it... is it gonna be another 4-6 weeks ? or does it process quicker
Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
sshole
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You'll get it next year.

Source: I'm not your accountant, so that statement above is false.
sshole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sshole For This Useful Post:
eddieEndo (03-27-2014), JDMenrique (03-27-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieEndo View Post
they sent it back with a green form on top telling me to sign it and resend it... is it gonna be another 4-6 weeks ? or does it process quicker
call them?

it would depend entirely on their internal processing systems
Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It's only processes quicker when you owe..
Taxes suck.. Having to claim the refund you got last year as income is a fucking crime..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
fourvalleys
Howdy!

Drives: Party ST, Classic Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Having to claim the refund you got last year as income is a fucking crime..
You do understand what the point of the refund is, right? It's the amount of your total income that you overpaid in tax withholding. It is part of your income.

You can get a bigger paycheck by filing a new W4 with your employer and decreasing your withholding, but you'll get a smaller refund. Conversely, if you want the federal government to withhold more of your paycheck every week, you can get a huge refund every year. Not sure why you'd do that, though. Your goal should be to get a refund of $0 so that you can earn interest on your income over the course of the year!

e: to the original person, unfortunately I think you'll have to re-start the clock.

Last edited by fourvalleys; 03-25-2014 at 09:23 AM.
fourvalleys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fourvalleys For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (03-27-2014), XanRules (03-27-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
File electronically next time, especially if you're using a 1040EZ/don't itemize your deductions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourvalleys View Post
You do understand what the point of the refund is, right? It's the amount of your total income that you overpaid in tax withholding. It is part of your income.

You can get a bigger paycheck by filing a new W4 with your employer and decreasing your withholding, but you'll get a smaller refund. Conversely, if you want the federal government to withhold more of your paycheck every week, you can get a huge refund every year. Not sure why you'd do that, though. Your goal should be to get a refund of $0 so that you can earn interest on your income over the course of the year!

e: to the original person, unfortunately I think you'll have to re-start the clock.
Yup.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
We tried to file electronically but couldn't for some reason, it had to be mailed. Of course we forgot to sign since we've been filing electronically for the past 10 years. I blame my wife.

In the envelope was a printed sheet with an address, it was slightly different than the original mail-in address. Hopefully it goes directly to people who only verify updates/missing information and finish the filing procedure more expeditiously. Our return had stamps and stuff all over it so I guess it's all been verified and shouldn't need the entire process again...
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
eddieEndo (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
We tried to file electronically but couldn't for some reason, it had to be mailed. Of course we forgot to sign since we've been filing electronically for the past 10 years. I blame my wife.

In the envelope was a printed sheet with an address, it was slightly different than the original mail-in address. Hopefully it goes directly to people who only verify updates/missing information and finish the filing procedure more expeditiously. Our return had stamps and stuff all over it so I guess it's all been verified and shouldn't need the entire process again...

yeah i had to mail it
to a different address as well, thats why im hopng it processes quicksr
Old 03-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

has anyone gone through this previously? any input as to how long to signed and returned tax return will take
Old 03-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
No. Since withholding is basically required by the IRS (they get real pissy if you want to only pay them on tax day instead of bit by bit over the entire year), what your return is, is basically them borrowing your money at 0% interest.

The available W2 % options may leave you no choice: either over pay and get borrowed money back with no interest, or under pay and owe.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Just remember what the IRS motto is: "It's your money and we want it now!"

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
fourvalleys
Howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
No. Since withholding is basically required by the IRS (they get real pissy if you want to only pay them on tax day instead of bit by bit over the entire year), what your return is, is basically them borrowing your money at 0% interest.

The available W2 % options may leave you no choice: either over pay and get borrowed money back with no interest, or under pay and owe.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Just remember what the IRS motto is: "It's your money and we want it now!"
First of all, you're saying exactly the same thing as I am. Anything you get in a refund is something you could have earned interest on during the year. If you get a big refund, the IRS was the one making interest on your money.

Second, it's your decision what you put for your withholding on that W-4. Do you want to make the most on each paycheck (and earn interest if you put it in the bank)? Or would you rather have a forced savings account with the IRS at 0% interest but get a big refund in spring?

You're correct, you probably won't guess exactly right and have a zero refund just by filing a new W-4, but you can probably get close enough to owe or be refunded a very small amount at the end of the year, and you can earn interest on your own money throughout the whole year. That definitely makes the most sense.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
It really depends on your income sources. If you also have 1099's, then what you owe is based on how much you earned in capital gains sales as well, which don't have withholding attached to them.

It's enough to make anyone with a reasonable income want to scream and scrap the mountain which is our horrendous tax code.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #13
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WRB (RIP), 2017 FiST
Quote:
First of all, you're saying exactly the same thing as I am. Anything you get in a refund is something you could have earned interest on during the year. If you get a big refund, the IRS was the one making interest on your money.

Second, it's your decision what you put for your withholding on that W-4. Do you want to make the most on each paycheck (and earn interest if you put it in the bank)? Or would you rather have a forced savings account with the IRS at 0% interest but get a big refund in spring?

You're correct, you probably won't guess exactly right and have a zero refund just by filing a new W-4, but you can probably get close enough to owe or be refunded a very small amount at the end of the year, and you can earn interest on your own money throughout the whole year. That definitely makes the most sense.
Correct. Not rocket surgery, but a lot of people really don't understand how taxes work (which is pretty simple for most of us).

My SNAFU this year was that TurboTax didn't transfer all my info from my 1040 to my state return, which resulted in them disallowing most of my deductions for reasons that don't apply to me (I'm not married, nobody claims me as a dependent, and I don't make over $150,000 a year). They're processing my appeal now but I'm gonna write a nasty letter to turbotax
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
fourvalleys
Howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
It really depends on your income sources. If you also have 1099's, then what you owe is based on how much you earned in capital gains sales as well, which don't have withholding attached to them.
I always love getting my Capital Gains and Interest statements each spring because I don't even know where most of it comes from (it's stuff my parents did when I was young but I didn't know about and still don't). So I'll end up paying taxes on income I didn't know I was making. I should probably figure out what those are doing for me, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanRules View Post
My SNAFU this year was that TurboTax didn't transfer all my info from my 1040 to my state return, which resulted in them disallowing most of my deductions for reasons that don't apply to me (I'm not married, nobody claims me as a dependent, and I don't make over $150,000 a year). They're processing my appeal now but I'm gonna write a nasty letter to turbotax
Ah, a state income tax return. There's something I don't miss. Good luck!