follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2023, 03:10 PM   #43
Lemniscate

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch: Exedy OE w/ 13lb moly flywheel, STi clutch fork, PDM TSK1 (TOB replacement & snout repair kit)
SC/T/NA: NA
MI/KM: ~40K miles (210K on chassis)
Power/TQ: stock
Lockout: no problems
Stiffness: stock
DD?: Yes
Review: installed everything after complete TOB failure (pedal went to floor and stayed there. Galling on the transmission snout caused the bearing assembly to hang up and overheat to glowing temps, which caused the plastic friction sleeve to fail, so when I pumped the pedal for the last time the cartridge cocked off the end of the snout and jammed into the spinning pressure plate where it eventually seized to the splines.) Repair kit solved the problem and I don't need to worry about the soft aluminum snout fouling another bearing.

Everything works. Factory feel with faster engine response.
Lemniscate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 04:53 PM   #44
FN VanHoose

Drives: Dark grey 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Clutch: ACT xtreme w/flywheel SB8-XTSS Stage 2
SC/FI/NA: SC Edelbrock
MI/KM: Around 55,000
Power/TQ: 307/239
Lockout: Yep
Stiffness: Hard
DD: I did it but I didn't enjoy it.
Would you buy again? Absolutely not
Review: This was my first experience at upgrading a clutch so there was a lack of experience. It did what I wanted it to do. It held the power with no issues and but I felt like I should have bigger calves for the strength I had to apply. After awhile I had lock out and hang up issues bad.

2nd clutch: Southbend Stage 2 Daily with OEM flywheel
SC/FI/NA: SC Edelbrock
MI/KM: Around 107k
Power/TQ: 307/239
Lockout: No
Stiffness: Sooofftt. Lighter than OEM I think. I thought something was wrong when I first drove it after getting used to the ACT.
DD: Yes
Would you buy again? Not sure yet...
Review: If this holds the power, I will be greatly impressed. After seeing the majority of people who had similar power/torque to me go with this setup and being happy with it, I decided it would be perfect. I'm in the break-in period and so far I haven't gotten used to the difference yet. Once I hit 1000 miles to get it good and broken in (I think 750 is the recommendation but I'll do a little more just to be safe), I will really hammer down on it and report back how it does. I have high hopes!

**Update**
Got to 750. Recommendation was 550 break in. It was pretty on par with other what the others said. It holds the power fine. I put it through some hell and didn't have any issues. Highly recommend.

Last edited by FN VanHoose; 07-15-2023 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Update
FN VanHoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:37 PM   #45
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
People using south bend with an oem flywheel, is that pretty much the better decision?
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:44 PM   #46
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN VanHoose View Post

2nd clutch: Southbend Stage 2 Daily with OEM
Stiffness: Sooofftt. Lighter than OEM I think. I thought something was wrong when I first drove it after getting used to the ACT.

**Update**
Got to 750. Recommendation was 550 break in. It was pretty on par with other what the others said. It holds the power fine. I put it through some hell and didn't have any issues. Highly recommend.
Wow are you serious?! This is what I’m looking for. OEM feel, but holds the additional power. I had ACT before and I hated it also.
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:26 AM   #47
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Clutch: Factory OEM Exedy
SC/T/NA: NA (Stock & FBO FF)
MI/KM: ~120k mi + 25 track days
Power/TQ: Stock / ~200 whp/160 wtq
Lockout: None
Stiffness: OEM
DD?: Y
Would you buy again: Y
Review: OEM clutch. Not much to say about it, other than it works. The original TOB showed signs of issues around 60k mi (which was confirmed upon removal; still functioned but did not run smooth/spin free). Replaced it with with ACT kit for a while, but then reinstalled it with revised TOB around 70k mi. It trucked along until I removed it at 130k miles after 25 track days. It still had life upon removal with some minor wear despite being beat on for so long; the revised TOB was in good health and ran smooth upon last removal (~60k mi of use).

Clutch: ACT Stage 1 Street Clutch /w Streetlite Flywheel [ACT HB7-HDSS]
SC/T/NA: NA (FBO FF)
MI/KM: 9k mi + 1 track day
Power/TQ: ~200 whp/160 wtq
Lockout: Yes, encountered clutch drag about 5k mi into ownership, see THREAD
Stiffness: OEM +20%ish
DD?: Yes, though with the typical challenges of a lightweight flywheel
Would you buy again: N
Review: Really enjoyed the response of the lightweight flywheel and bite of the pressure plate+clutch disk. High NVH: chattered loudly on idle and contributed severe vibrations when lugging the engine. However, quickly ran into quality issues. Notably the kit would sometimes screech when warm and coasting downhill (never figured out why). Soon, the kit started to display clutch drag especially after warming up which slowly got worse. Removed and sent it back to ACT for inspection, but they said nothing was wrong with it. Went back to OEM after.

Clutch: Exedy Racing Lightweight Flywheel [TF02] + Racing Stage 1 Organic Clutch Kit [15806]
SC/T/NA: NA (FBO FF)
MI/KM: 10k mi + 7 track days (to date)
Power/TQ: ~200 whp/160 wtq
Lockout: None
Stiffness: OEM +15% ish
DD?: Yes, though with the typical challenges of a lightweight flywheel
Would you buy again: Y
Review: Wanted to relive the responsiveness of a lightweight flywheel, and with high mileage looming, decided to upgrade from OEM at around 130k mi. Above average NVH: light chatter on idle/coast/AC usage but not nearly as pronounced as ACT NVH. A nice, driveable upgrade from OEM that has better bite and heat capability (advertised) for performance driving. The bite is still quite tame and similar in profile to OEM, certainly a more reserved compared to the ACT kit's. Blending with throttle is smooth, but sometimes not as grabby/sporty as I'd like for a given pedal position. This character is especially pronounced when trying to maneuver on low speed inclines (e.g. hill parallel parking): combined with lightweight flywheel, it can lead to a tendency to overslip the clutch in such situations. Otherwise no issues so far.

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 02-28-2024 at 09:54 PM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (02-28-2024)