follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #71
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello Folks,

I thought I'd throw this out for your comments.

When I drive our FR-S in the mountains, on extremely curvy roads, I seem to attract drivers of less capable vehicles, that try to keep up with me.

Now, my FR-S is stock, but I have put on some pretty darn good A/S tires for the winter and I leave the nanny systems ON.

Case in point, last weekend, we were driving down off of Mt Rainer (a 14,000 ft high mountain - for you flatlanders .... ) when a newish, large, SUV gets waay to close to my rear end. My usually conservative wife says, "why don't you just lose that idiot in these curves". So, given the I step on it ..... what fun ..... BUT the dummy in the SUV is still trying to keep up ..... body roll and his rear end stepping out and all.

Now, if a Porsche was in front of me, I wouldn't try to keep up with it. Or if a jeep pulled off onto a dirt road, I wouldn't try to follow. What is with this dude ....

Now, I know the next set of curves contains a hairpin curve (keep in mind we are going downhill and the roads are sort of "misty") and my first thought is "this is where I show this dude".

However, my second thought was ... what if he tries to follow me and loses it and crashes into one of these really big trees we have growing about 12" off the sides of the roads?????

I would feel really bad ....... so, I backed off, eased around the hairpin curve, pulled over and waived him around.

What would you have done .... ??

humfrz
Eh...these things happen..I had a 370z attempt to race me through rush hour traffic. When he fell behind in the turns he decided to weave between 3 trucks staggered (blocking me) only to end up stopped at a red light. Idiots happen...you did the right thing.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #72
Migero86

Drives: 2015 Trailhawk
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
Randy Pobst trolling you softly needs to be a meme.
Name:  352453240_640.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  41.0 KB
Migero86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Migero86 For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #73
Billylammerkins

Drives: 2014 Firestorm Red FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello Folks,

I thought I'd throw this out for your comments.

When I drive our FR-S in the mountains, on extremely curvy roads, I seem to attract drivers of less capable vehicles, that try to keep up with me.

Now, my FR-S is stock, but I have put on some pretty darn good A/S tires for the winter and I leave the nanny systems ON.

Case in point, last weekend, we were driving down off of Mt Rainer (a 14,000 ft high mountain - for you flatlanders .... ) when a newish, large, SUV gets waay to close to my rear end. My usually conservative wife says, "why don't you just lose that idiot in these curves". So, given the I step on it ..... what fun ..... BUT the dummy in the SUV is still trying to keep up ..... body roll and his rear end stepping out and all.

Now, if a Porsche was in front of me, I wouldn't try to keep up with it. Or if a jeep pulled off onto a dirt road, I wouldn't try to follow. What is with this dude ....

Now, I know the next set of curves contains a hairpin curve (keep in mind we are going downhill and the roads are sort of "misty") and my first thought is "this is where I show this dude".

However, my second thought was ... what if he tries to follow me and loses it and crashes into one of these really big trees we have growing about 12" off the sides of the roads?????

I would feel really bad ....... so, I backed off, eased around the hairpin curve, pulled over and waived him around.

What would you have done .... ??

humfrz
We should go for a drive sometime! I'm in the area!
Billylammerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #74
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, now, Kostamojen, ..... .... obvisouly you don't have the mrs humfrz sitting beside you ..... read, I didn't want to spend the rest of our day trip with my co-pilot giving me the silent treatment ......

PS - I know how to drive ..... I just don't have the guts to push my limits .....

humfrz
No I understand, it matters who is in the car. If I'm just driving around with family inside I would let whomever is driving like a **** go past, or just ignore them all together and eventually they get the picture.

In terms of pushing limits... This car is insane in terms of its limits even with the stock tires. Even driving at 7/10ths or 8/10ths there are not many cars on the road that can keep up in the twisties. You don't have to push it past the limits to lose someone in short order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migero86 View Post
OMG!
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #75
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm surprised how most drivers here pull over to let me by on the forest roads surrounding home. I'm not tailgating or in any way trying to intimidate, they're just unusually courteous when I appear in their rearview mirror. I always wave when overtaking. This is the first car I've owned where this occurs.

On topic, I think the newer SUV drivers with the upscale rigs featuring air/electronic suspensions, self-leveling and stability nannies actually start believing their abilities can overcome the laws of physics.

The closest I've come to the OP's experience was being tailgated while descending Larch Mtn. (14 miles, no turnoffs, fairly technical two-lane) by an LX470 that has all of those driver's aids. All I could see in the rearview was the Lexus logo. Sideview showed Mr. & Mrs. Elite, he with a stern look, hers fearful. I neither sped up or slowed but had the advantage of local knowledge and was approaching a series of off-camber turns posted for a suggested 15 mph. I usually take them at the posted 35 without having to brake. At the first left hander the LX left the road, it's right side tires plowing through dirt and shrubs. He was lucky not to contact any of the fir trees lining the road.

I slowed to see if they were OK and let them close and he stayed well back. Their facial expressions were reversed, hers stern, his fearful. I hope they learned that those pretty brochure pics of an LX blasting through all kinds of roads and conditions were probably digitized. Knowing they got a harmless lesson in vehicle dynamics was actually pleasurable and guilt-free.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
Evil Jesus (10-30-2013), humfrz (10-31-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #76
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
u should have let the idiot try to kill himself. A lesson given is better then no lesson, I'm 100% sure he will be doing the same stupid thing again.... :/
I believe u will actually be doing him more good if u let him chase & make mistake.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote