follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
fierostetz

Drives: '87 Buick GN, '16 500 Abarth
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What do you wish you'd known before owning?

Edit: I'll try to keep updating this first post so people searching on the subject can find the list easily.

I'm dipping my toe into the waters, looking at cars, test driving, etc. and I'm pretty sold on an 86/BRZ as another toy to replace something I rarely drive. I see some griping about mechanical issues, etc., but realistically angry/upset people are a lot more likely to post than happy owners, so it's hard to sort wheat from chaff. Is there anything about the BRZ/86 you wish you'd known prior to purchasing? I know that some complain it's low on power, but I've already got bikes and powerful cars available, I'm looking for something I can wind out without going to jail. My current DD is a 2016 Fiat 500 Abarth which is hilariously fun, but it's not exactly a precision instrument.

Also, hi

edit: I don't want to, but pending a neurologists visit I might be forced to go auto. I'm not sure if I'll still be in the market for an FRS with an auto... it's a pretty decent automatic trans, but I'd rather have a lot more torque with an automatic. I'll have to go test drive one. I really want to go stick but it's hard to stick one handed.

To better state my use-case: I intend to use the BRZ/86 as a weekend car/intermittent trip-to-work car. I don't really plan to mod it, there's something nice about leaving a car (mostly) stock. I'm an "oem-plus" kinda guy these days. I think my days of v8 swapping fieros are behind me

Feedback so far:
Suboptimal headunit stock [regardless of scion/subaru/toyota/year] (slow, laggy, inconsistent) -> replace with aftermarket. 2din standard size makes this easy.
Prius tires should be replaced for much improved handling and feel -> hoon 'em til they die then replace.
Low power -> This shouldn't be a surprise. It's possible that the low power complaints are because of the torque dip.
Torque dip -> it's there, is not as much of an issue as expected, but still kinda annoying.
Automatic is pretty decent -> slower to 60, much better than past automatics. AT good in traffic, MTx good for those with more athletic intent.
Paint chips easily -> Clear bra is a good idea
Performance package is worth it if you have any sporting intentions -> would cost a lot more to do the upgrades separately.

Last edited by fierostetz; 08-15-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: updating OP so it's searchable in the future.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
fierostetz

Drives: '87 Buick GN, '16 500 Abarth
Oh and if anyone has to give me flak for dd'ing an Abarth, go ahead and get it out of your system :P the thing is dumb fun, and I drove it off the lot for under 14k new :P still makes me laugh every time I drive it, even after a year.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fierostetz For This Useful Post:
iLaw (08-08-2017), new2subaru (08-08-2017), Ultramaroon (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
PhyrraM

Drives: '17 BRZ PP, old Legacy SSs and SVXs
The OEM stereos are bad. It's common knowledge, but I spent more time researching mechanical and dynamics subjects so when I picked up my '17 BRZ I had a "Wow, this DOES suck" moment in regards to the stereo.

Also, the 'Prius tires" are better than most will admit, especially while your learning the car.
PhyrraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Honestly i'm in love with my car. My thing is i wish i had an actual plan when i started modding. I wasted way too much money on stuff i ended up selling or not using. Wish i had more a solid modd plan. Other than that honestly the car is perfect for what i want to do with it in my eyes.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
The 86 will not be as fun as the Abarth as a DD, however it offers a rewarding drive in a different way. I had more fun tracking the FRS because I took it more seriously and it has more potential. It's hard to beat that "stupid" fun that the Abarth offers though. Lucky for you, you'll have both.

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Silver Supra
Hombre

Drives: 1994 Supra Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
Oh and if anyone has to give me flak for dd'ing an Abarth, go ahead and get it out of your system :P the thing is dumb fun, and I drove it off the lot for under 14k new :P still makes me laugh every time I drive it, even after a year.
Agree. It makes me laugh when I see one.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I wish I had learned about it sooner. I literally bought the very first one I ever laid eyes on in pictures or real life.

You nailed the complaint thing. There are hundreds or even thousands of guys with zero issues for every person that has a major one.

The "no power" thing is also a minority of owners but they want very specific performance points for a bargain basement price. The same group complaining about "no power" would be whining if it carried a $45K price tag.
OrangeGuitar (08-12-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #8
Silver Supra
Hombre

Drives: 1994 Supra Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
The OEM stereos are bad. It's common knowledge, but I spent more time researching mechanical and dynamics subjects so when I picked up my '17 BRZ I had a "Wow, this DOES suck" moment in regards to the stereo.

I am still looking and I am stunned how poorly the audio/nav system was designed (or not designed) in the earlier models. It is what I would expect from a Tata. I now know I will have to replace an OEM HU if I buy an earlier model!
Old 08-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
I rented one last trip to Vegas. It was a hoot and if I commuted mostly in the city I would have one in a heart beat.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
I am still looking and I am stunned how poorly the audio/nav system was designed (or not designed) in the earlier models. It is what I would expect from a Tata. I now know I will have to replace an OEM HU if I buy an earlier model!
My 14 Scion Canadian HU is not bad at all. It isn't top of the line or anything but get's the job done with no issues. On or even above par with any other car in the price point. Now, I hear that the BRZ and US ones of that same year bite the big one...
Old 08-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
I have '14 monogram head unit with navigation. I think it is completely decent for radio, sound, bt phone, and navigation. I use it everyday without any complaint. It could be better of course with Android auto, capacitive touch sensor, and brighter, high resolution screen. But that is an upgrade I can do anytime in the future, I don't feel the need yet.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #12
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
My 14 Scion Canadian HU is not bad at all. It isn't top of the line or anything but get's the job done with no issues. On or even above par with any other car in the price point. Now, I hear that the BRZ and US ones of that same year bite the big one...
Do you also have this one?
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #13
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Do you also have this one?
Yep but without nav. It seems to be one of the better ones they have used. I have never seen a car with so many different HUs used across the model years and trim levels (BRZ). It is like they rand down to Best Buy and said "give us all the car HUs you have in stock" every time they changed years.
mrg666 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #14
Azzudien

Drives: 2017 Series Yellow BRZ
To answer the OP question. Definitely the HU, it is really bad. When I get in my wife's 2013 Nissan it is light years ahead of the 2017 Subaru HU.

Everything else about the car I love, and I love that you can have fun driving at the limit of it's ability (at the track) and not be afraid of it. I have the biggest smile on my face when I get to be on the track.

HP Primacy tires are fine, and they love to tell you when you reach the limit with loud screams. They actually wear quite well, I have 5 track days on the stock tires and they are holding up well.
Azzudien is offline   Reply With Quote