follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #15
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Unfortunately I can't see the pics since they are blocked at work so can't help beyond that monogram used different headlights. They could also be after market? Anybody that can see them?

I can see the pics. They’re definitely zenki BRZ headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drifter X For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #16
AugyIA

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks all for advice. I'm waiting for a result on swapping the bulbs...want to tackle that before trying to get the boomerangs to work.

Lots of info out there on BRZ to FRS swaps but the 8-pin Monogram isn't common so I'm having to sort of piece it together as most of the threads I've come across have a 6-pin harness which people re-pin to an 8-pin. Not sure the colors are all the same but I think I can figure it out.

I'm curious though, is there a simple way to verify the Boomerang LED is functional? Assuming the correct wire is Green for LED + and Black is the ground, could I tap that green to some other 12V source just to verify they even function?
AugyIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #17
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugyIA View Post
Thanks all for advice. I'm waiting for a result on swapping the bulbs...want to tackle that before trying to get the boomerangs to work.

Lots of info out there on BRZ to FRS swaps but the 8-pin Monogram isn't common so I'm having to sort of piece it together as most of the threads I've come across have a 6-pin harness which people re-pin to an 8-pin. Not sure the colors are all the same but I think I can figure it out.

I'm curious though, is there a simple way to verify the Boomerang LED is functional? Assuming the correct wire is Green for LED + and Black is the ground, could I tap that green to some other 12V source just to verify they even function?

Yes you can tap a 12v source to test the boomerang. I used a portable 12 jumper battery to test instead of running wires all the way to the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drifter X For This Useful Post:
AugyIA (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #18
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
The Monograms came with the same lights as the BRZ not the FRZ so that is where everybody is confused. I did think it was odd that somebody would swap BRZ lights and go to the massive amount of work needed to get the adjusters too work!

Here are the wiring diagrams. Should be in the 2014 one.
https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal/
now i remember. you're half-right. the monograms did come with xenon's(with adjusters), but were a different style.

augyia, the pictures you posted are correct for brz/monogram differences.
Tcoat (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 07:33 AM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
The passenger headlight will come on almost always but after driving it will go out occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
now i remember. you're half-right. the monograms did come with xenon's(with adjusters), but were a different style.

augyia, the pictures you posted are correct for brz/monogram differences.
OK now that is cleared up I will guess ballast going bad. As the ballast heats up while driving it cuts out.
AugyIA (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #20
AugyIA

Quote:
OK now that is cleared up I will guess ballast going bad. As the ballast heats up while driving it cuts out.
Good point. I swapped the bulbs to try to isolate the issue but haven't had much chance to run it. He went to work last night and called me to say he had a flat tire. I went and picked it up and it's sitting in the garage now waiting for me to get motivated :-)

The tires are pretty much shot and need replaced. He's a senior and enlisted in the Marines via delayed entry program (ships in June) and I was going to get him new wheels & tires next Spring but now I'm thinking he'll get an early gift. So that led me down another rabbit hole looking at 17 vs 18 inch wheels, offsets, fitment, weight, etc. etc. Opinions on that vary more than anything else I've seen on this platform.

On the plus side, I'll have the car in the garage for a week or so to try and sort out the lights! Any advice on ballasts? Used OEM vs new or aftermarket?

Thanks again, appreciate the help as always.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Good point. I swapped the bulbs to try to isolate the issue but haven't had much chance to run it. He went to work last night and called me to say he had a flat tire. I went and picked it up and it's sitting in the garage now waiting for me to get motivated :-)

The tires are pretty much shot and need replaced. He's a senior and enlisted in the Marines via delayed entry program (ships in June) and I was going to get him new wheels & tires next Spring but now I'm thinking he'll get an early gift. So that led me down another rabbit hole looking at 17 vs 18 inch wheels, offsets, fitment, weight, etc. etc. Opinions on that vary more than anything else I've seen on this platform.

On the plus side, I'll have the car in the garage for a week or so to try and sort out the lights! Any advice on ballasts? Used OEM vs new or aftermarket?

Thanks again, appreciate the help as always.
Wouldn't touch used. Aftermarket can be hit and miss. Can't go wrong with new OEM even though it may cost a bit more. There have been many reports on here of some serious issues caused by cheap electronic.
AugyIA (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #22
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

...On the plus side, I'll have the car in the garage for a week or so to try and sort out the lights! Any advice on ballasts? Used OEM vs new or aftermarket?
did swapping bulbs move the problem? if the problem didn't move, that's the easiest indicator that it's a ballast/wiring issue(more likely ballast).

but i agree with tcoat, new oem is really the best way to go. used oem can have similar issues due to an unknown pre-purchase lifespan, and aftermarket is a roulette from 'works perfect' to 'burned down the car', sometimes even within the same supplier/model number.

Quote:
being near chicago, with similar seasons and frost conditions(that birth potholes) as iowa, i'd suggest sticking with 17's for flat resistance. i don't like running smaller than 40% sidewall for that reason. some guy's prefer to drop down to 16's for increased sidewall even.

my experience, the only 2 reasons to go to 18 is for aesthetics, or fitting a big brake kit, which many will argue is aesthetic and entirely unnecessary except for the very top tier of motorsports competition.

there's marginal unsprung weight differences in the sizes, and the performance characteristics can be easily relegated to differences in individual butt dyno's and tire compound.

and a handy dandy guide someone made:
https://www.ft86motorsports.com/wheelitfit/

good luck to your son and his training!
AugyIA (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #23
AugyIA

Thanks for the advice. The car hasn't run enough yet to see if the light issue followed the bulb...the flat tire kind of took over priorities. I do suspect the ballast though...good to know I don't want to cheap out on aftermarket.

As for wheels & tires, I leaning toward 17's and will try to convince him the car will drive better and he'll enjoy it more. He has 28 lb 18's on it now...looks nice but the wheels are junk and too heavy, and they rub at full turn. I'll be glad to see them gone.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #24
AugyIA

Success with the wheels...just ordered Apex ARC-8 17x9 +42's, now to find tires.

Also successfully tested the LED boomerang and it works. Looks like I can tap into the DRL harness to run them...probably going to remove the bumper to do that since we have some other things to address in that area (fog lights and fender/bumper gap or sag).

Thanks for the help all...I'll post back when I determine the issue I first posted about (intermittent headlight failure)...guessing it's a ballast but should know once I get the car running long enough for the headlight to fail.

Last edited by AugyIA; 11-26-2020 at 03:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AugyIA For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-26-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #25
AugyIA

Well, that took some time. The issue followed the bulb so I ordered replacements...those got lost in the mail (not a good year for USPS!)...finally showed up yesterday. Installed, so far so good.

Thanks all for the help!
The Following User Says Thank You to AugyIA For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-19-2020)