follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Biggdogg

Drives: Crystal Black Silica BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Selecting new wheel help

Had my BRZ for less than a week and just really not a fan of the stock wheels, so want to get rid of them. Now being completely new to the whole modification scene, and well basically everything scene (3 years ago almost 600 pounds, didnt get out much, 380 pounds later feel clueless at a lot of stuff, it was a thing), I dont really know the outlets out there. I have been working with David from CSG, Joeboxer and Greg from TurnInConcepts. All amazing people and super helpful and have got me started in the right direction. But I was hoping to get even more input from the community, since even the least experienced person here has more knowledge than I do.

What I am looking for is a wheel that will be a daily driver. I plan on getting started on some autocross and track days, and of course some spirited driving when allowed, so I absolutely want performance. Would like it to be durable and not crack or break after hitting a rock. A nice light set. My wheel budget is I really dont want to go over $1600, and of course I would like to go lower if thats possible. In terms of stance I want it to be as flush as possible to the fender, and it will be lowered a bit using RCE with Koni's. BBK clearance would be nice, as sometime down the line (far down the line) I might consider an STi swap. Color of black, or a dark gunmetal. So far the ones I am in love with are the 57Xtreme, Ultimate CR, PFO1, Ultraleggera, but I am not opposed to other wheels if they can fit the needs. I think good looking wheels comes in all types so dont want to limit myself. And since spending this kind of money on a purchase isnt a normal thing for me, I want to get the most options possible from more knowledgeable people since I already feel dropped off in the ocean. Thanks for the help.

Eric
Biggdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggdogg For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
I think Enkei may be the way to go, under your budget if you go with something from the Tuning series and still lightweight and durable. The offsets are a little weak in my opinion but you can go 18x8.5 +45 and 18x9.5 +45 on the Raijin, Kojin, or Tenjin.
17x9 all around is an option too and the offset on those is +45 which may come close to hitting the stock strut, it may not be an issue with the Koni's and RCE's, not sure if they offer more clearance or not since the spring perch is where the contact point would be.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeBoxer For This Useful Post:
DAN_BRZ (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Anthonytpt

Drives: '13 Argento 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Don't forget to factor in the cost of tires! I was looking at Enkei PF01s as well, but I just ordered a set of WedsSports TC105N 17x8 +42 with 225/45R17 Hankook Ventus R-S3s from @CounterSpace Garage for driving similar to what you've described. You will find no shortage of threads/posts regarding Enkei RPF1s as a solid option too.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Biggdogg

Thanks fellas. For the 17x9, isnt ideal offset +35? Like you mentioned before Joe the enkei offsets seem pretty bad. I really hate the look of the sunken in wheels/tires. I would like as flush as possible without using spacers. Arent the Tuning series a lot heavier than the racing series? The Ultraleggera and PFO1 are both 18ish pounds in 18x8 and 17ish in 17x8. I just dont want anything heavier than the stock wheels.

Anthony, thanks for the reply. Yea im factoring in tires in as well. Im keeping my budget at 1600 (extreme maximum id go) for wheels only. The TC105N are amazing, but also I dont believe they are remotely in my price range. And yea been talking to David from CounterSpace Garage about a lot of things. The guy is amazing. If I could find a set of those for a good deal id jump on them. I just dont think they are available in black or gunmetal. Thanks for the replies fellas.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Biggdogg

Also what changes would I notice, feel wise by going from a 17 to 18? Im not set on either of those firmly. I was always scared of going 18, despite the drop dead sexy looks, that the feel and intent of the car would be dulled, and I dont want to sacrifice that for looks. Unless I could find a stellar deal on some 57Xtremes or CR Ultimates
Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
PoWn3d_0704

Drives: 1990 BNR32 GTR
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I think the 18s allow for aftermarket brakes, while the 17s are too small, but I could be wrong. (And it of course depends on the brakes)
PoWn3d_0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
yoshiharadesign
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
while 17s are great, keep in mind if later on down the road you do want to upgrade brakes, there is a good liklihood that there will be some issues. Even on some 18s you will have the same problem. Its all about planning ahead and figuring how long you keep the car, how much mods you want to do and then formulating out what size will be the end game.
yoshiharadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoWn3d_0704 View Post
I think the 18s allow for aftermarket brakes, while the 17s are too small, but I could be wrong. (And it of course depends on the brakes)
332x32 StopTechs on my RX-7 fit easily within 17" PF01 wheels. Only reason to go to 18s is if you need to run tires wider than 255 (or 275 for R-comps).
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Biggdogg

17 or 18 I cant see running wider than a 245. The Wedsport SA15R seems like a good price for an 18, still lighter than stock (not by much). Depending on how bronze it is it might be a leading candidate. Unless I can find a great deal on some 57Xtremes or CR Ultimates. Would there be any rubbing issues running 18x8.5 squared wrapped in 245/35/18?