follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Valenti Red Lens Tail Light-moisture build-up

I'm just venting...

Anyone else have a problem with moisture entering their Valenti tail light(s)?

I purchased a set of Valenti tail lights from FT86 SpeedFactory back in June of this year. Installed them the day they arrived, and loved them from day 1. Then in mid August, I noticed a little moisture accumulated in the passenger side tail light.

At first I thought that maybe the nuts that hold the lens in place loosened or something, but no, they were fine. So, I removed the lens assembly trying to figure out what was going on. The only thing that was questionable is that the gasket is very near the edge of the lens lip, but there's no other way to mount the gasket. The gasket is "keyed" to the lens using the 4 screws, and an additional mount guide in the center of the gasket. So, I check the driver's side, and sure enough, the gasket is exactly the same (gasket is mounted the only it can be mounted).

Anyway, I have been working with FT86 SpeedFactory (Maddy) via email for 2 months to get this resolved. Maddy has been extremely patient and helpful. She has been the middle man/woman between me and Emotion USA (distributor of Valenti products). They asked me to send photos. I did that. They asked me to allow it to dry out, then reinstall "adjusting the gasket" did that 3 times. I dried it out, but it's not possible to adjust the gasket. But Emotion USA have been completely unreasonable regarding this situation. They have denied any possibility that the lens i purchased could be the problem, without even seeing it. They won't even communicate with me directly.

I'm pretty pissed about this because I'm 100% positive that I installed the lens properly. The cost of the tail lights is not even the issue at this point.

So, I get an apologetic email today from Maddy saying that Emotion USA has examined the tail light that I returned to them, and their conclusion is that "I" pinched the gasket during the installation which is a total lie. The gasket is not pinched in any way!

Get this, they offer to sell me a replacement lens for $150.00 even though they say the light gasket is the issue and that all the LED's work perfectly. If the gasket is at issue, why not sell me another gasket???

I don't have a problem admitting when I'm wrong. I am not a novice when it comes to performing tasks that require mechanical and skills of dexterity.

Climbing down off my soap box. Guess, I'll look a getting a set of Tom's. Hopefully, I'll have better luck.

UPDATE 11/2/2015

This is an email i received from Valenti Japan based on a question I submitted.

"Hi,

We have never listed the red lens color for 86/BRZ tail lamp.

All official Valenti lamps have stuck the Valenti sticker on the housing of lamp.
We also want to let you know the Emotion USA and FT86 SpeedFactory have never purchased any items from us.

Anyway, our new REVO tail lamp will be released in Jane, 2016. Please wait for our new REVO tail lamp, thanks.

Valentijapan"

These photos show the moisture both before and after drying. The streaks you see in the second photo are inside the lens!
Attached Images

2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT

Last edited by Agent 86; 11-02-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
bro... tell them to send them back...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26217
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Agent 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 View Post
bro... tell them to send them back...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26217
Thanks for the link. Looks like I'm not the only one to have a problem. Even the Tom's it seems. I sent the bad lens back, but they refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem.

Funny thing is, my OEM tail lights don't leak. However, I prefer the look of the aftermarket tails.

Before I purchase a replacement set of aftermarket tails, I'll ask the vendor how they handle warranty related issues.

I'm not blaming FT86 SpeedFactory, but I'll approach Modbargains and the other sellers before deciding on my next purchase.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
WhiteFRS69

i would take a little moisture over my problem anyday

just installed some Valenti Tails the other day
looks like it fried something in my car, brake lights are not working at all

car is currently at the Dealership, praying everything is covered under warranty!
Old 10-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Agent 86

Quote:

car is currently at the Dealership, praying everything is covered under warranty!
Yikes. Yeah, that's really bad. Did the lights cause the problem? Who did you purchase them from?
Old 10-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
WhiteFRS69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
Yikes. Yeah, that's really bad. Did the lights cause the problem? Who did you purchase them from?
purchase them from a local performance store where i have gotten parts from before

i think i may have over done it on the system
LED in every light, 4th break light installed,
and these tails on top, may have burned something out
Old 10-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #7
mizzta21

Drives: 2014 whiteout, scion fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

that sounds like a fuse. I had the exact same thing happen to me. found out it was a fuse.. your not overloading the car with full led swap. if anything your saving battery life... all you need to do is buy the correct fuse and swap it out under the dash where ur steering wheel is located.
mizzta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
WhiteFRS69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzta21 View Post
that sounds like a fuse. I had the exact same thing happen to me. found out it was a fuse.. your not overloading the car with full led swap. if anything your saving battery life... all you need to do is buy the correct fuse and swap it out under the dash where ur steering wheel is located.
First thing I checked and replaced were the fuses with no luck...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5
Old 10-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
mizzta21

Drives: 2014 whiteout, scion fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
First thing I checked and replaced were the fuses with no luck...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5
Well damn.... sorry man
mizzta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mizzta21 For This Useful Post:
WhiteFRS69 (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Looks like I'm not the only one to have a problem. Even the Tom's it seems. I sent the bad lens back, but they refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem.

Funny thing is, my OEM tail lights don't leak. However, I prefer the look of the aftermarket tails.

Before I purchase a replacement set of aftermarket tails, I'll ask the vendor how they handle warranty related issues.

I'm not blaming FT86 SpeedFactory, but I'll approach Modbargains and the other sellers before deciding on my next purchase.

Oem lights leak it's a big issue with our cars that is fixed with a replacement gasket. Is there an opening on the back of valentis that you could put something into like a silica gel packet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
DannyQ86

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If they were bought from 86speed factory why wouldn't they just replace them for you under warranty and then they can deal with the distributor.
DannyQ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
2 Months you've been waiting? Anybody that's ordered from me knows if there's an issue with a Valenti, I'll ship you a replacement after sending me photos that there's an issue the day after I get your photos (pending we have replacements in stock of course). Hope the issue gets resolved, asking $150 for a replacement lens knowing that they're under warranty isn't the right way of doing it.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ModBargains.com For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (11-04-2015), DannyQ86 (10-24-2015), zc06_kisstherain (11-03-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #13
Agent 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
Oem lights leak it's a big issue with our cars that is fixed with a replacement gasket. Is there an opening on the back of valentis that you could put something into like a silica gel packet?

There's not much of an opening. The back has a large resistor (i think) in that space. I was able to dry the light out by allowing it to sit out in the sun for an entire day (back side facing up). I did this 3 times, then reinstalled and moisture accumulated each time.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #14
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
There's not much of an opening. The back has a large resistor (i think) in that space. I was able to dry the light out by allowing it to sit out in the sun for an entire day (back side facing up). I did this 3 times, then reinstalled and moisture accumulated each time.

You can always leave the silica packet in there to absorb moisture and change it out every once in awhile. People do this for retrofits. It's a shitty solution honestly I fee like they should cover your warranty but if needed it should work. Hope they take care of it for you.

ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote