follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #7015
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD_u943urZE&feature="]FRS/BRZ Phantom Electric supercharger - Acceleration and casual driving - YouTube[/ame]

This video shows how the supercharger boosts performance but is not obtrusive to daily driving.

Car has OpenFlash Header and Nameless trackpipe plus the TQ300 phantom supercharger with 1.5 conversion dump pack and dual reachargers.

Go WOT at:
2:08
2:30
2:55
4:29
7:45
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #7016
fenton

For all those that will ask, no the 300 is not available to purchase yet Changes to the system had to be made. Undetermined time until this may be a option. The 300 needs a new controller, aux recharger and a new electric motor(bigger). 1.5 conversion is required as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-05-2014), enwave (08-05-2014), Sojhinn (08-05-2014), WRB5titch (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #7017
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
OK. So I got one and its on the car as of 30 minutes ago. The humidity is horrible, the tune is fresh the batteries are being reconditioned yet my jaw hurts from a smile plastered on my face. Am I dreaming or is this for real?
Nice! Finally. Sounds like you are loving it, post some video!
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #7018
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Here's another example of Rob's customer service:

Got this e-mail this morning: Hi Bruce, just got it, took it apart, found the problem, repairing now, sending it tomorrow.

Totally made my day!
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-06-2014), MagicBobert (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #7019
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
ESC Impressions
I wanted to share my new experiences with the ESC Phantom Super Charger. I recently picked up a system and installed it this past Friday. This past weekend IadI had an opportunity to truly put this rig to the test because it was one of the first days here without pouring rain! While I did try to experience this in the rain I cannot say it was a true test to its abilities. When on boost I gave myself a small heart attack as the rear end kicked out in second gear. That further discouraged me for even trying. Lets just say its going to be a learning experience. I am currently running the OFT 93 ESC tune and the OFH header which was used in the development of this tune. Its a perfect package Other supporting mods is the air filter, cat back and lighter rims (17.3 lbs). I do not have performance tires.
CONS
-STINK! - After a run I am more likely to experience that skunk smell due to the catless header. It is occurring more often and creating a stronger smell.
-Not in Boost, Stock - The car seems to be missing a bit of its snappy/jolty characteristic between 2 - 5k. This is the typically driving range for me and I am very familiar with its pre-ESC performance. I understand there is to be some loss in power due to the turbine restriction, yet I don’t feel much of the infamous tq dip. I find that strange because I don’t believe the ESC DR feature is working in that rpm range creating power over the dip. I give it gas and she goes at normal speeds for my expectations but I swear its a little less sharp. Maybe I am being super picky but this bugs me nonetheless. This has nothing to do with flashing a tune recently as I drove a good distance today. Either way its going to take time for me to relearn my car as it is essentially a new design
Gas mileage - Yes, it does consume more fuel and yes the needle does drops faster. Tbh I dont give a *^%$. I wanted more power and am fine with the consequences. One point to make is that if I stay out of boost and drive casaul the car will consume fuel in the same manner as stock.
-Nervousness - This is a new modification to my car and its very involved. I am commanding of my car more delivery. It was not designed to support this. I am scared about things going wrong just as any sane person would be with their DD. I am not only nervous about the car but worried my ESC could break. There has been several issues since its trip to market. Some issues are small and most are user error. Either way it makes me nervous. This is a more personal con than one reflecting the product. But I am not keeping it out of my review because go to hell.
PROS
-Highways -this car no longer fears highway. When in proper gear and rpm range a simple mash of the throttle will generate enough tq that I feel and observe my car gaining ground. This is significantly different from the cars stock feel while cruising on the highway. I don’t find myself saying. “lets go lets go lets go” until I hit 5 - 7k. From the moment the turbo kicks in I have little time to complain before needing to change gear. Passing cars on the highway inspires a new feeling of confidence. Mash and pass.
-0 - 60 - this car is noticeably faster from 0 - 60. While I am still trying to master the 1st -> 2nd gear transition there's not doubt my car has better pick up. Look at the dyno graph and eyeball that tq curve. The car drives like the dyno describes. You have this massive wave of tq pushing this little car. Brute force launching this cars into the happy, high rpm range and you just let it scream to redline. Coming home today I was able to clsoe the distance between my car and a traffic light that I have a tough time normally making after work. Its at the end of a rotary and I usually find myself going for the green only to come to a halting stop as it changes lights. Today was a different story. That on demand tq gives me the confidence that I can make a distance that I would otherwise not make. Its confidence inspiring. Its also an accident waiting to happen.
-Attitude - I’m no longer trying to snipe Honda Civic Si’s or Acura Integra’s to play with. Maybe it will backfire in my face or maybe I will surprise the driver. Either way I have my eyes set for bigger game.
-Learning to walk again - This car has been transformed. For better or worse is up to the driver to decide but make no doubt this car will require some time to relearn and thats always a good thing. I purchased this kit simply because I was tired of the lack in power the stock gt86 makes. Its a blast to drive and windy roads allow this car to shine. However, throw a highway, hill or even simple driving competition into the mix and I become frustrating longing for more. This kit significantly changes the performance of this car and that is a fun and gratifying learning experience.
I look forward to driving to and from work tomorrow tomorrow. I would go now but I am a few beers deep.. There's still much to learn and opportunities that will make me smile. but... I continue to weigh the pros and the cons of this kit against each other and will ultimately decide its fate. If for some crazy reason its got to go I know a great community willing to jump at the opportunity. Until then the pros are winning.
Will be posting logs soon for review.

PS make sure when you install the compressor is lined up correctly. The weight of the compressor can cause it to hang lower making it not straight. This caused me issues with performance. Once it was lined up the car drove and continues to drive fantastic

Last edited by Boofneenee; 08-21-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Boofneenee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-06-2014), Gums (08-07-2014), keen as (08-06-2014), Sojhinn (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #7020
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nice review @Boofneenee it's pretty drastic how much the car changes personality with the esc.

Did you end up getting used or new batteries?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #7021
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Not in Boost, Stock - The car seems to be missing a bit of its snappy/jolty characteristic between 2 - 5k.
-Gear change - This is a lot of tq for a lightweight car like the GT86 and it makes me more sensitive to its delivery. When changing from 1st into 2nd
I hope you managed to grab logs that coincides with the 1st point, perhaps you need to use 91 tune as your 93 may not be that great or jump to E85, would love to see what may be going on.

As for gear change, tried ffs?

Also, are you perhaps easily startled? being out of your comfort zone is challenging to you?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #7022
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Nice review @Boofneenee it's pretty drastic how much the car changes personality with the esc.

Did you end up getting used or new batteries?
Used just 3 mos and holding a perfect charge. Zero issues here. Also the 93 gas I use is top notches
Old 08-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #7023
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Used just 3 mos and holding a perfect charge. Zero issues here. Also the 93 gas I use is top notches

Should be broken in then. I find I need a few good pulls in the morning before my car really shines. On the shifting front, is it rough because of the torque and it's an abrupt change to no longer have it with the clutch pushed in or is something else?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
enwave (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #7024
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
I hope you managed to grab logs that coincides with the 1st point, perhaps you need to use 91 tune as your 93 may not be that great or jump to E85, would love to see what may be going on.

As for gear change, tried ffs?

Also, are you perhaps easily startled? being out of your comfort zone is challenging to you?
I will have a log posted later today for review. Preliminary findings indicate i may be runnig a little lean below 4k (12 to 13 Afr but 3-4k is were the boost so I question) but it becomes more rich as it gets its higher in the 11's. Ignition timing running like 27 to redline. Kc learned small bump at the top. Very small but otherwise running about. 5.97
Old 08-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #7025
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Should be broken in then. I find I need a few good pulls in the morning before my car really shines. On the shifting front, is it rough because of the torque and it's an abrupt change to no longer have it with the clutch pushed in or is something else?
Still learning how it drives I think. Its a smoother experience day by day. Thx
Old 08-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #7026
fenton

Quote:
I will have a log posted later today for review. Preliminary findings indicate i may be runnig a little lean below 4k (12 to 13 Afr but 3-4k is were the boost so I question) but it becomes more rich as it gets its higher in the 11's. Ignition timing running like 27 to redline. Kc learned small bump at the top. Very small but otherwise running about. 5.97
Thats perfect AFR and timing.

Shiv lowers the Kc learned close to redline so you will never hold 5.97 the whole way.

12 - 13 is optimal for boost, 11 is the safety margin for running a OTS tune. Ideally the best power is made at about 12.0 to 12.5 even with boost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (08-06-2014), DAEMANO (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #7027
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Thats perfect AFR and timing.

Shiv lowers the Kc learned close to redline so you will never hold 5.97 the whole way.

12 - 13 is optimal for boost, 11 is the safety margin for running a OTS tune. Ideally the best power is made at about 12.0 to 12.5 even with boost.
That's really helpful to know. I'll get logs up asap
Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #7028
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Also, I'm not surprised you kicked the rear out between first and second in rain on stock rubber. I'm sure that was a scary thrill if it's been awhile since that has happened for you haha. You'll learn that the limits have changed a little a WOT -- sounds like you're already getting there.

Also, I have noticed that sealing the hole in the firewall that the cables come through (I initially just used some clay, now I've taken it off and am thinking about the best way to do it) helps with the fumes you're smelling.
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (08-06-2014)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive