follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
I started off with Anze in developing a Penske 8300 setup for the BRZ but ended up switching to MCS instead, as it was cheaper and they had already done the homework. Anze did a lot of testing with the stock stuff and took all the appropriate measurements, but never produced a set afaik.

The Penske stuff is super customizable by the end user and has things like double digressive pistons available now, but the stuff isn't cheap and unfortunately the front strut ends up being more of a one-off using Penske internals than a true Penske shock.

A full Penske 8300 setup I would budget at least $6K and that doesn't include the springs and top hats.

There are other high end options like MCS and the company making the shocks for the stout racing race car, JRi.
Do MCS have a double adjustable option for the 86? Also do they build to order and valve the damper to suit the spring rates you order them with?

I wish Ohlins would make a double adjustable option with their R&T offering like most of the dampers in that range...
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #16
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
They do have DA with and without external canisters.

You generally tell them what you want for valving, they don't sell springs and complete coilover setups. The standard valving is good unless you are running crazy spring rates. Probably best to talk to one of their dealers like Vorshlag or Stranoparts, they don't directly sell to consumers unless it's a custom job.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
solidONE (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
solidONE

I think this range better suits my pocketbook and expectations from adjustable damper/coilover upgrades. $4K for really good suspension, okay... $8~$10K + for top of the line units? Maybe if I have the budget and I'm trying to win national contests. Then again, if I had that much to spend on suspension I would be driving a different car to begin with. lol

How are those MCS treating you and performing, @dwx?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I think this range better suits my pocketbook and expectations from adjustable damper/coilover upgrades. $4K for really good suspension, okay... $8~$10K + for top of the line units? Maybe if I have the budget and I'm trying to win national contests. Then again, if I had that much to spend on suspension I would be driving a different car to begin with. lol

How are those MCS treating you and performing, @dwx?
The cost of entry is... just the cost of entry. Most people spending 8k+ on setups will be revalving multiple times to achieve the result they want.

Or... you can wait for our CSG-spec damper setups where the R&D is done for you
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
RehabJeff86 (09-12-2013), solidONE (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
solidONE

I would seriously consider a set of penske 2-way or ohlins ttx 2-way for $6K ready to go... but man... I need a better paying job. lol

Let me put it this way, Mike. I have no choice but to be patient.... sigh
Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Then again, if I had that much to spend on suspension I would be driving a different car to begin with. lol
this isn't entirely true

for 8-10k you'll have an entry-level but very high-end suspension that will absolutely maximize your cars handling potential. This investment will be with you year after year and there is no risk of it blowing up (read: power mods).

furthermore, a 30k car + 10k high end suspension will still be better than anything that's out in the market for 40k starting.
CSG Mike (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
I would seriously consider a set of penske 2-way or ohlins ttx 2-way for $6K ready to go... but man... I need a better paying job. lol

Let me put it this way, Mike. I have no choice but to be patient.... sigh
you keep mentioning 2-way adjustability.

do you visit so many different tracks and do you have the datalogging tools to actually use this adjustability?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post

do you visit so many different tracks and do you have the datalogging tools to actually use this adjustability?
I dial in dampers purely by my own subjective "feel".

I'd be surprised if anyone was using dataloggers here sophisticated enough to dial dampers with... that's some serious $$$
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #23
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

my dream is to have a datalogging laptop with accelerometers at each corner of the car with remote dampening adjustment

i have no idea why i would need this for the level of racing that i do

but i want it god damn it!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
howardf

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Or... you can wait for our CSG-spec damper setups where the R&D is done for you
Is this going to be a high-end product, or Tein SRCs? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a purchase, so any ETA?
howardf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardf View Post
Is this going to be a high-end product, or Tein SRCs? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a purchase, so any ETA?
They'll be custom built Tein SRCs. All of our damper development has been focused on a singular product for over a year now.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

if, given the expertise and tools, dampening levels can be fully customized to a customers needs for all of these high-end shocks

what motivates you to go with one brand over another as the base for providing your own brand of valving?

what is the reasoning behind choosing the TIEN SRC as your base?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #27
solidONE

Quote:

Yes. The difference between streets of willow and chuckwalla vs the roads by my house is pretty big. I would opt for a 3-way if budget allowed. High speed compression damping adjustment would benefit anyone who drove their cars both on the street and track.

And as far as equipment to log the difference between adjustments and settings... a lap timer that times in sectors and my ass or "feel" is plenty.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
CSG Mike

Quote:
if, given the expertise and tools, dampening levels can be fully customized to a customers needs for all of these high-end shocks

what motivates you to go with one brand over another as the base for providing your own brand of valving?

what is the reasoning behind choosing the TIEN SRC as your base?
As I always state in other threads, the availability and ability to get the dampers rebuilt is most important. Tein happens to be the most local company to us, with JRZ being a close second. Penske is the next closest, and then PSI in Norcal.

The SRC also has the advantage of being the least expensive, and doesn't use a remote external reservoir, making it easier to install for the non-racecar guys. They can also be mass produced with custom valving to reduce cost, whereas the usual high-end stuff cannot.

The SRC is also made to be durable; there is a race version of the SRC (N1) which directly competes with the 8300 and TTX36. However, the N1, 8300, and TTX36 will not last as long as the SRC, and will need rebuilds more frequently. Additionally, with a macpherson strut application, the front shock body needs to be STRONG.

Last but not least, they're similar to a JRZ/Moton/MCA style of internal construction, but they're nothing like a TTX damper.

Side note: The KW V3 is the least expensive 2 way adjustable option. Do you always go with the least expensive option? Even the guys choosing $800 coilovers don't typically go with THE cheapest option. The KW V3 is made for street use with the occasional spirited drive for the inexperienced drivers, while the SRC is made for hard driving, that happens to also have acceptable street use ride quality and durability.

If we had unlimited resources, we'd be using a regressive penske setup on our car. 100% no question about it. However, virtually everyone with a FR-S/BRZ DOES have a limit on their budgets, so we're looking to find the best balance between performance, price, and ride quality. Development will continue until we're satisfied with the product.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
7thgear (09-11-2013), Dimman (09-11-2013), RehabJeff86 (09-12-2013), ShoShin (09-11-2013), whataboutbob (09-12-2013)