follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toe adjustment question

Ok, after searching I haven't really found an exact answer to my question so here it is.

As the car goes lower in ride height, the wheels naturally gain negative camber. As the rear wheels go negative in camber, the rear wheels toe in.

I'm running around -2 degrees of rear camber right now but want to get somewhere between -1 and -0.5. I was just going to use SPC arms because they allow for +/- 2 degrees of camber and I'm only adjusting by 1.5 or so. Also, the rear wheels have toe in. I'm trying to get to zero toe on the rear. It doesn't have to be EXACTLY zero but I want it very close, if not, barely toed in.

So my questions:

1. To go from -2 to around -1 to -.5 camber, are the SPC arms able to achieve that?

And

2. Will I need new links/bushings for the toe to get back to zero since I'm reducing the amount of camber I'm running instead of increasing it?

I'm curious because everybody is buying toe links and stuff but a lot of people are also purposely running somewhere around -2 camber from what I've seen.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have the new SPC arms. I just got my alignment done so I can prob help with your questions.

1. Yes, I am currently running 0.9deg camber in the rear, lowered 1.5" (maybe a bit less than you by the looks of your pic), and we were able to achieve 0.1degree toe in. We could have adjusted either way as well, but I was shooting for a very slight toe in based on RCE's suggestions.

2. The new SPC kit comes with a new toe link bushing which provides additional toe adjustment. It looked like a pain to install, and I didn't want to pay to have a shop do it so I tried the alignment without. Since I was able to achieve the toe I wanted I didn't bother putting them in. I suppose depending on how much camber you want you may need to use them.

Adjusting the rear toe and camber was a pain for the alignment guys, because every time you touch one, the other goes to hell. They were adjusting both at the same time to try and get the best results that way.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
TylerLieberman (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
why do you only want -0.5 to -1 camber in the rear?
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
I have the new SPC arms. I just got my alignment done so I can prob help with your questions.

1. Yes, I am currently running 0.9deg camber in the rear, lowered 1.5" (maybe a bit less than you by the looks of your pic), and we were able to achieve 0.1degree toe in. We could have adjusted either way as well, but I was shooting for a very slight toe in based on RCE's suggestions.

2. The new SPC kit comes with a new toe link bushing which provides additional toe adjustment. It looked like a pain to install, and I didn't want to pay to have a shop do it so I tried the alignment without. Since I was able to achieve the toe I wanted I didn't bother putting them in. I suppose depending on how much camber you want you may need to use them.

Adjusting the rear toe and camber was a pain for the alignment guys, because every time you touch one, the other goes to hell. They were adjusting both at the same time to try and get the best results that way.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks. Given the size wheels I'm running, I probably won't be able to get down to -.5 anyways. -1 or slightly more is a bit more realistic while still being able to fit my wheels without rubbing. So I might just end up telling the alignment guy after I get the arms to adjust toe and camber together until they get both as low as they possibly can together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkblitzed View Post
why do you only want -0.5 to -1 camber in the rear?
Car is setup for drifting. I don't auto-x or do conventional track days. For drifting purposes, less rear camber is ideal. More rear contact patch and the car feels more planted mid drift.

I'll be running around -3 camber up front with zero toe or slight toe out. Going to be running some 15mm spacers as well to still have the fitment I want and make sure there isn't a huge gap. It'll also give me more inward clearance at full lock.

I'm going to be running the same wheels and sizes you are, just SBC instead of silver.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote