follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #253
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
And a sound clip. This is with the MaxRacing duct, Perrin silicon intake, Perrin foam filter and all other resonators removed and sealed.

[ame]http://youtu.be/xbpEtjbpRFc[/ame]
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #254
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
before and after dynos...
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #255
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
before and after dynos...
I don't have any in my local area but I will see if I can hunt one down. The good old butt dyno thinks it adds more than the silicone tube but less than the filter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Huehuecoyotl (04-13-2013), NickFRS (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #256
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Now I need to buy one..... They are so expensive though!!!
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #257
NickFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
And a sound clip. This is with the MaxRacing duct, Perrin silicon intake, Perrin foam filter and all other resonators removed and sealed.

can you take a picture with flash of where it sits behind the bumper? I'm curious about that. If I did go this route I think a mesh guard before and after the snorkel might be a good idea
Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #258
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
can you take a picture with flash of where it sits behind the bumper? I'm curious about that. If I did go this route I think a mesh guard before and after the snorkel might be a good idea
I have a close up one that i'll post when i get home. I will se what i can do from further away. I don't know if the iphone flash is strong enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
NickFRS (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #259
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Garage
And Gem when you return PM again.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #260
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Garage
Here you go @NickFRS
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366276171.920041.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  171.9 KB
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
NickFRS (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #261
vtmike

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
The resonators are put there to create better flow. I don't know why you'd want to remove it.

When the valve closes right after intake air inside your intake has nowhere to go. A pressure wave is created as soon as the valve closes and that wave rebounds backwards towards the entry point. The resonators allow these high pressure air waves to expand allowing the new air that was sucked in to remain in your intake for the next cycle.
That's just speculation and hasn't been shown to be the case in any testing with this car. The trd engineers didn't find them necessary on their griffon build car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
vtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #262
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
That's just speculation and hasn't been shown to be the case in any testing with this car. The trd engineers didn't find them necessary on their griffon build car.
Can you wait 3 weeks for some results?.... I'll get both dyno and road test results and draw a real conclusion rather than speculation. I drilled the rivets from mine so I can easily put them back in.

I still believe that the main resonator helps throttle response lower down, might have to do with added volume of the airbox as well as wave cancellation. As stated the Griffon is a race car and will spend time at full throttle & high RPM where it's likely the resonators make less of a difference.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #263
vtmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Can you wait 3 weeks for some results?.... I'll get both dyno and road test results and draw a real conclusion rather than speculation. I drilled the rivets from mine so I can easily put them back in.

I still believe that the main resonator helps throttle response lower down, might have to do with added volume of the airbox as well as wave cancellation. As stated the Griffon is a race car and will spend time at full throttle & high RPM where it's likely the resonators make less of a difference.
I'm all for some testing. Mine are gone and I haven't noticed any difference besides sound. The only company I know that mentioned doing testing with the resonators is perrin who said they made no difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to vtmike For This Useful Post:
NickFRS (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #264
NickFRS

I don't think a dyno will truly show anything. But if you do get a dyno and be like the car lost 1HP! The engine will flux 2-3HP per pull on its own naturally. So it's hard to figure it out... I believe the only way you could compare is if you had a stock car with stock intake. Then compare the AFR's with and w.o. Otherwise it's just false data. PLus when you speak of throttle response we are talking milliseconds here. Also all CAI in your theory would have the same waves you are talking about and create bad throttle response since they don't have resonators. (the only reason cai's have better throttle response is the added volume in the tune and it's not so aggressive bends. This creates better air flow)

My theory: The resonators are put in place to reduce induction noise. All stock cars have zero induction noise. The sound tube was created to increase engine noise in the cabin to give that little extra pazaz of performance but in reality doesn't really change anything that dramatically. You can hear my intake scream now after 4k RPM's when my vvt and dual avcs kick in harder. Also i'm assuming w.o the resonators the car wouldn't be carb legal. Plus on a stock car when you are talking about 2k response time the only time I would see myself at 2k RPM's is in first rolling at 5mph and there will always be a flux in throttle response in first due to the drivetrain and gear size as well as 2nd. This will be more dramatic with a LWCP and LWFW. Since the ratio is so small and if you have the reduction in spinning weight/mass the ECU has to really think to go with throttle position let alone all the other variables. If you are in a higher gear your car in general is about to hit the torque dip and w.o headers the plot from 2k-4k is discusting. Mine shows this on the dyno graph. a camel back of torque between 2k-3k is always going to feel weird while driving.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #265
NickFRS

Also I believe the TRD griffith car was the creation stand point behind the TRD intake. They were testing "I mean truly" testing with that car. Once they figured out the resonators and sound tube were for emissions and customer satisfaction they deleted them and started production of the TRD intake you see today that just hit the market as an "after market solution." The box is still huge and thats due to emissions also! Big ins't always better. Vacuums dont have huge hoses on them for a reason. It creates less suction. A small 2.0 doesn't need a huge intake! A engine has to be rounded and mods have to complement each other. mods don't stack up HP or TQ .

^^^ assumption

Plus cai intakes don't really show any real true gains over stock once tuned unless we are talking about FI.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #266
vtmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
I don't think a dyno will truly show anything. But if you do get a dyno and be like the car lost 1HP! The engine will flux 2-3HP per pull on its own naturally. So it's hard to figure it out... I believe the only way you could compare is if you had a stock car with stock intake. Then compare the AFR's with and w.o. Otherwise it's just false data. PLus when you speak of throttle response we are talking milliseconds here. Also all CAI in your theory would have the same waves you are talking about and create bad throttle response since they don't have resonators. (the only reason cai's have better throttle response is the added volume in the tune and it's not so aggressive bends. This creates better air flow)

My theory: The resonators are put in place to reduce induction noise. All stock cars have zero induction noise. The sound tube was created to increase engine noise in the cabin to give that little extra pazaz of performance but in reality doesn't really change anything that dramatically. You can hear my intake scream now after 4k RPM's when my vvt and dual avcs kick in harder. Also i'm assuming w.o the resonators the car wouldn't be carb legal. Plus on a stock car when you are talking about 2k response time the only time I would see myself at 2k RPM's is in first rolling at 5mph and there will always be a flux in throttle response in first due to the drivetrain and gear size as well as 2nd. This will be more dramatic with a LWCP and LWFW. Since the ratio is so small and if you have the reduction in spinning weight/mass the ECU has to really think to go with throttle position let alone all the other variables. If you are in a higher gear your car in general is about to hit the torque dip and w.o headers the plot from 2k-4k is discusting. Mine shows this on the dyno graph. a camel back of torque between 2k-3k is always going to feel weird while driving.
Agreed. Throttle response is such a subjective thing and susceptible to placebo effect. The ecu effects it tremendously as demonstrated by post reset dead pedal.