follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
On the Rise

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why I drive in the left lane.

And why I don't want to be a cash test dummy.

http://jalopnik.com/5826190/german-c...trucks-collide
1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
oneday
Opinionated

Drives: Something Red
Not sure what driving in the left lane has to do with that...
Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
Not sure what driving in the left lane has to do with that...
maybe because in a lot of states, trucks aren't allowed in the left lane?

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
On the Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
maybe because in a lot of states, trucks aren't allowed in the left lane?
That's right. In LA the freeways are full of 18 wheelers and you don't to be a car sandwich.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Even if you stay in the left lane that does not stop you from being sandwiched in an accident. However, if you drive slow in the left lane, you are more than likely being in an accident, or cause an accident.

Stay out of the left lane.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
Even if you stay in the left lane that does not stop you from being sandwiched in an accident. However, if you drive slow in the left lane, you are more than likely being in an accident, or cause an accident.

Stay out of the left lane.

The left lane is for passing. Nothing is more frustrating than being stuck behind a rolling roadblock 4 lanes across because everyone is going the same speed and the person in the left lane is to dumb to get out of it.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

The left lane is for passing. Nothing is more frustrating than being stuck behind a rolling roadblock 4 lanes across because everyone is going the same speed and the person in the left lane is to dumb to get out of it.
I HATE it when people don't understand that unwritten rule. Especially in a 2 lane freeway. IF YOU ARE SLOW AS @#$k STAY RIGHT. LEFT IS FOR THOSE WHO ARE GOING FASTER THAN YOU!

Gah! lol

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
oneday
Opinionated

Drives: Something Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
I HATE it when people don't understand that unwritten rule.
Unwritten? Not in PA...it's just not enforced like it ought to be. Hell, we even have signs on interstates/highways that read, "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS."
Left Lane Laws by State

[Rant/Tangent]Same thing goes for seat belt and the "wipers on/light on" laws...PennDOT spends my taxs dollars to advertise on billboards, tv and radio commercials, and large electronic PennDOT warning signs...but I've watched unbelted people drive past cops in the rain with no lights on... infuriating.[/rant/tangent]
Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
On the Rise

Quote:

HEY!! I resent you calling stupid people dumb. They're ignorant uncaring assh0les that need a 2X4 whacked across their head so they smarten up.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
Unwritten? Not in PA...it's just not enforced like it ought to be. Hell, we even have signs on interstates/highways that read, "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS."
Left Lane Laws by State

[Rant/Tangent]Same thing goes for seat belt and the "wipers on/light on" laws...PennDOT spends my taxs dollars to advertise on billboards, tv and radio commercials, and large electronic PennDOT warning signs...but I've watched unbelted people drive past cops in the rain with no lights on... infuriating.[/rant/tangent]
It's somewhat unknown in California. :/ is why I stated what I did. :P

Especially driving up to SF or even out of state some people don't understand the left lane rule. Lol Hell, I even question why the hell the DMV pass so many stupid drivers.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
the speed limit is 65... stay safe guys
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
On the Rise

German autobahn laws should be adapted.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tobahn-feature

German Traffic Laws:

The German autobahn network is patrolled by unmarked police cars and motorcycles equipped with video cameras; this allows the enforcement of laws (such as tailgating) which are often viewed in other countries as difficult to prove in court. Notable laws include the following.

The right lane must be used when it is free (Rechtsfahrgebot) and the left lane(s) is (are) generally intended for overtaking only; drivers using the left lane for prolonged periods of time when the other lanes are free could be fined by the Autobahnpolizei.

Forcing slow drivers on the left-hand lane to change lane (even if they are occupying it illegally) by flashing or tailgating may be considered coercion.

Overtaking on the right (undertaking) is strictly forbidden, except in traffic jams where it may be practiced with caution. Up to a speed of 60 km/h (37 mph) it is permitted to pass cars on the right side if the speed difference is not greater than 20 km/h (12 mph) or the vehicle on the left lane stands still. This is not referred to as overtaking, but driving past.

Even if the car overtaken is illegally occupying the left-hand lane, it is not an acceptable excuse; in such cases the police will routinely stop and fine both drivers. However, exceptions are and have sometimes been made.

In the case of a traffic jam, drivers have to form an emergency lane to guarantee that emergency services can reach the scene of the accident. This lane has to be formed between the left lane and the lane next to the left lane.

It is unlawful to stop for any reason except for emergencies and when unavoidable, like traffic jams or being involved in an accident. This includes stopping on emergency lanes.

Running out of fuel is considered an avoidable occurrence and drivers face fines. In some cases (if there is danger to life and limb or property e.g. cars and highway infrastructure) it can also be a crime and the driver could receive a prison sentence (up to 5 years).

There is a general duty to rescue in Germany. If there is an accident, a driver is obligated to stop and help whenever it is possible.

First aid training is mandatory in order to obtain a driver's licence in Germany.

Fines for tailgating were increased in May 2006. At speeds over 100 km/h (62 mph), keeping less than 30 percent of the recommended distance now results in a suspension of the offender's driver's license for one to three months. So now overtaking on the right side or on the emergency lane can't be fined as hard as tailgating. Foreign drivers can be fined on the spot, their foreign licenses confiscated and rental car agreements may be immediately cancelled.

Due to legal regulations (Straßenverkehrsordnung) it is allowed to flash headlights (Lichthupe) in order to indicate the intention of overtaking, but a proper distance to the vehicle in front must be obtained. Driving at insufficient distances and flashing headlights is illegal. The driver can get fined for Nötigung (coercion).

The tyres must be approved for the vehicle's top speed (winter tyres (mud + snow) for lower speeds (i.e. cheaper than high-speed tyres) are allowed, the driver has to have a sticker in the cockpit reminding of the maximum speed).

During the winter months winter tyres are compulsory. M+S tyres (mud and snow or all-season) are acceptable. Non-compliance may have legal consequences in the event of an accident and will result in problems with insurance cover.