follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 07-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #3739
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
If it is stock except for the kit you definitely do not need bigger injectors. I had headers on mine and still have plenty of fueling left.

The edelbrock units also add their own mechanical symphony. Mine made a ticking like that at idle that seemed to come from the air getting chopped up and then amplified by intake. The noise was loudest in front of the air filter. Nothing sounds unusual to me.
Interesting, I was wondering about that. My supercharger makes a buzzing noise, kind of sounds like a swarm of bees or flies. I assume that's normal? It seemed to get a little louder today and is audible at lower rpms with the windows up. Like a very mild supercharger whine, but not as good sounding or as loud as a twin screw lol.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:50 AM   #3740
rixon

Drives: Subaru 2020 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Edelbrock Super Charges $500 off now

Edelbrock currently has $500 of all super chargers. Strange BRZ seems to be out of stock along with others.
Wonder if you can order now with discount even with it out of stock?
rixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #3741
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixon View Post
Edelbrock currently has $500 of all super chargers. Strange BRZ seems to be out of stock along with others.
Wonder if you can order now with discount even with it out of stock?
Looks like if you can, you would have to call to do it. There is no buy button on items out of stock. Those that are in stock do have a buy button.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #3742
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrBussiere View Post
Side note - does anyone run the JR rad/oil cooler combo? If the car is going to be mainly a DD and spirited weekend driver but little to no track, is it worth the high price or is stock going to be just fine?
I haven't used the JR combo (kind of wished I had since the radiator was drained already and it wouldn't have been that big a deal during SC install, it's cleaner than mounting the independent one) .. I use the JR 15 row independent oil cooler. Boy that thing is a track cooler for sure.. this is with SC installed , I have to rag that car to get it above 200 .. 100 F oat with high humidity (granted it's great to have oil temp at 190 all the time, oil pressures stay solid).. Just a little bit of spirited driving and it'll never go over 200 even in these temps. So for the street the JR combo would be just fine, the separate JR is a little overkill for DD.
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #3743
AKITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrBussiere View Post
You could be right. I don't remember my 2013 having this much ticking but it was N/A and it could just be the mic from the camera picking it up waaaay more than normal too?

It does have stock fuel pump and injectors - nothing has been changed in the fuel delivery department so I have been debating throwing in a DW300 w/ 700cc injectors. it:
On petrol it won't need it. As pointed out the limitations of 93 and certainly 91 octane are reached before the pump and injector limitations are reached.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #3744
ArrrBussiere

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ SC & 2018 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurbo View Post
Highly recommend. The oil in these engines runs hot driving on the highway even stock. Add FI and it'll be hotter. I use the dual rad and I'm happy with it. Many other people do as well with this Supercharger. I wish I could still use the standalone A2O cooler from JR without a lot of customization for track driving. I still have it around and will make it work. Then I'll sell the dual rad. But until then I'm loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKITA View Post
I haven't used the JR combo (kind of wished I had since the radiator was drained already and it wouldn't have been that big a deal during SC install, it's cleaner than mounting the independent one) .. I use the JR 15 row independent oil cooler. Boy that thing is a track cooler for sure.. this is with SC installed , I have to rag that car to get it above 200 .. 100 F oat with high humidity (granted it's great to have oil temp at 190 all the time, oil pressures stay solid).. Just a little bit of spirited driving and it'll never go over 200 even in these temps. So for the street the JR combo would be just fine, the separate JR is a little overkill for DD.

Awesome, I am definitely adding that to my list of things to get then. It seems like a really good idea, but I also didn't wanna spend $1,000+ on something for no reason if I didn't have to

Quote:
On petrol it won't need it. As pointed out the limitations of 93 and certainly 91 octane are reached before the pump and injector limitations are reached.
Baller. I didn't wanna really mess with much because it is already tuned and driving and good to go, but I also want to make sure that it is going to be reliable so I will do whatever is necessary to achieve that!

I am beyond excited, I drive the 9+ hours to go pick up the car this weekend! And once I get paid out on my total I'll have about $4k to drop on various things to make the car even better. My current "wishlist" is just over $2k not including however much it costs to get my wheels powdercoated but I also have SO much factory and aftermarket parts coming with the car that I will most likely make a grand just selling stuff
ArrrBussiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #3745
rixon

Drives: Subaru 2020 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Looks like if you can, you would have to call to do it. There is no buy button on items out of stock. Those that are in stock do have a buy button.

Thanks.
As it turn out the availability of the BRZ Super Charger kit will not be for
at least 1 month. They won't take back orders so can't get the $500 discount.
rixon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rixon For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-21-2020), strat61caster (08-01-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #3746
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Lame... I was able to get the 500$ rebate.. took months but it came.

Wonder how big a production run is on these.

In terms of noise, mine is pretty quiet, just a bit more rotational noise at idle. Also keep in mind your engine will be louder in general too since there is no more hood insulation which blocks out noise.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #3747
BR-ZED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Lame... I was able to get the 500$ rebate.. took months but it came.

Wonder how big a production run is on these.

In terms of noise, mine is pretty quiet, just a bit more rotational noise at idle. Also keep in mind your engine will be louder in general too since there is no more hood insulation which blocks out noise.
Hmm you are making me paranoid. Mine isn't loud, but makes a distinctive sound at idle (almost sounds like like a big box fan or a buzzing sound). Definitely lets you know it's not stock. I assume its running right, it hits 20.x psi at full throttle and sits at 3.x psi off throttle when moving and 5.x psi at idle, so it works as far as I can tell and I assume there are no leaks. Car is quick. It's just been 3 years since I saw another Edelbrock car so wasn't sure if mine was "normal"

My idler pulley continues to leak, hoping Edelbrock will replace it...
Old 07-21-2020, 10:42 PM   #3748
AKITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
Hmm you are making me paranoid. Mine isn't loud, but makes a distinctive sound at idle (almost sounds like like a big box fan or a buzzing sound). Definitely lets you know it's not stock. I assume its running right, it hits 20.x psi at full throttle and sits at 3.x psi off throttle when moving and 5.x psi at idle, so it works as far as I can tell and I assume there are no leaks. Car is quick. It's just been 3 years since I saw another Edelbrock car so wasn't sure if mine was "normal"

My idler pulley continues to leak, hoping Edelbrock will replace it...
hmm I have a bosche map sensor (I think these are fairly common) .. but I don't think my boost shows positive at idle .. I do seem to show boost just over 20 at full rpm.. but at idle I don't show boost. From what I know of superchargers.. they shouldn't be producing boost at idle, but I could be wrong. Mine also doesn't make a lot of sound.. occasionally driving slower I hear the blowoff valve.. barely hear any whine though when accelerating. I have tomei uel with over, avo high flow front, borla back.. it's not quiet when I put in throttle so I wouldn't hear much over the exhaust. But even at idle i hear no whines or hisses or anything like that.. it's a little louder at idle, so it drowns the cricket sound out almost entirely in mine and the SC may be contributing to that but you be hard to pick it out.. (maybe not or different if I recorded it).. but again check with your tuner.. I don't know that it should be producing boost at idle.. 5 psi? what rpm is that?

Wanted to add I put over a 100 miles on mine yesterday really pushing through different paces and it did very well for the most part. I show no signs of grease weeping from my pulley.. so I'd say that bearing in that pulley will go bad .. so yeah hope EB replaces. The only thing I have noticed up to now that's been unexpected.. is it's now much hard to rev match for downshift.. I can't mash or fast tap it.. have to be real smooth and not over do it.. plus really work harder to not lose rpms now... just wondered if anybody else experienced this..
Old 07-21-2020, 10:45 PM   #3749
BR-ZED

Quote:
hmm I have a bosche map sensor (I think these are fairly common) .. but I don't think my boost shows positive at idle .. I do seem to show boost just over 20 at full rpm.. but at idle I don't show boost. From what I know of superchargers.. they shouldn't be producing boost at idle, but I could be wrong. Mine also doesn't make a lot of sound.. occasionally driving slower I hear the blowoff valve.. barely hear any whine though when accelerating. I have tomei uel with over, avo high flow front, borla back.. it's not quiet when I put in throttle so I wouldn't hear much over the exhaust. But even at idle i hear no whines or hisses or anything like that.. it's a little louder at idle, so it drowns the cricket sound out almost entirely in mine and the SC may be contributing to that but you be hard to pick it out.. (maybe not or different if I recorded it).. but again check with your tuner.. I don't know that it should be producing boost at idle.. 5 psi? what rpm is that?
Well atmosphere is 14 psi so 5 is less than atmosphere. Not a perfect vacuum but a lot lower pressure than atmosphere. I think that is at 1k rpm. I think a bit lower with the AC off.

20 psi is 6 psi over atmosphere which is what I expect the supercharger OEM pulley to make.

Edit: I see now the supercharger is speced for 9 psi, so why are we both hitting just 6 psi (20 psi manifold air pressure)?

Last edited by BR-ZED; 07-22-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #3750
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Where in the rpm range are you measuring 6 psi of boost? At 7k I hit a little over 11psi.

Most people misunderstand how boost is created by a roots blower. It generates constant boost only in an open system. Once you attach it to an engine you get linear boost with rpm.

Last image on this post:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...postcount=3357
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #3751
BR-ZED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Where in the rpm range are you measuring 6 psi of boost? At 7k I hit a little over 11psi.

Most people misunderstand how boost is created by a roots blower. It generates constant boost only in an open system. Once you attach it to an engine you get linear boost with rpm.

Last image on this post:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...postcount=3357
That might explain it then.... this was middle of the band, around 4k. Will have to check my logs when i get home to see what it looks like at higher rpm.

Toast, was that on the stock pulley? 11 is a lot bigger than 9...
Old 07-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #3752
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Stock pulley. There are variances in any manufactured system and Zach said my SC had one of the highest outputs he had tuned for the stock pulley so YMMV.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (07-22-2020)